Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (bigredhusker)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-03-2005, 11:48 PM Reply   
I have the dlx147 board that has 4 small fins on the edges. I've been thinking about trying to add a center fin (longer) to the board to get more edging and stability. The water tends to be a little rough where we go.. and if it was smooth I could always take it off. I'm very new at the sport (1st year). I rode another board that had a longer fin and I was able to get a lot more speed on cuts... any thoughts? which fin? thanks

http://www.wildthingws.com/images/liquid_force/Wakeboards/DLX147.jpg

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-04-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
If the board did not come with a center fin, I would not modify it to take one. You have 2 options as far as I know.

1) Learn to use your edge and better control the board. Many here take off their center fin, giving them a more slippery feel, but since they have learned to use the edging characteristics of the board correctly, they really do not need the center fin. Some refer to the center fin as a "crutch" or similar to training wheels on a bike. The board should edge fine. You just need to maybe get a better feel of the edging.

2) Get another board that either you like with or without a center fin, or one w/o a fin that maybe has better edging feel than the one you own now.

I am not familiar with your board, but like I said, if it was not made with a center fin, I would not modify it.

Whew! Too much coffee today! Sorry!
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-05-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
Any hole you put into the board will be point of entry for water. 2 fins = 4 holes = heavy board (especially after riding finless for a bit).

If it were a spare board and you were just havin fun testing crap...cool. Otherwise...I'd say no way...too.
Old     (bigredhusker)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-05-2005, 4:56 PM Reply   
any board recomendations... for a second more beginner board? u know us beginners...
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-06-2005, 6:51 AM Reply   
I think the HL Motive series is an excellent choice that will really cover the span from beginner to advanced riding (meaning it will work well for you for a long time).
Toss in a surf dog fin for the bumpy water and you'll be set for a long time. It makes a great first or second board. I have one (rode it for several years) and I keep it as my schooling/guest board. I got 3 1st-timers up on it over the july 4th weekend. Just a great all around board.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-06-2005, 7:33 PM Reply   
try the HL Roam. since it doesn't have any channels or fins, it'll teach you how to edge like nothing else will, IMO. make you first set of the day a Roam set to practice edging and surface tricks. i've never ridden the DLX, but i bet after riding the Roam the DLX will feel sticky..
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-06-2005, 7:34 PM Reply   
oh, and i wouldn't try to modify the board to add a center fin.. seems like too much trouble..
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-07-2005, 7:53 AM Reply   
I remember seeing an article about modifying boards and bindings in wakeboard magazine. If you do drill a hole in the board, make sure that you fiberglass the interior contours of the board. The reason being that you will be exposing the foam inside the board to the water which can absorb some water and bad stuff can happen as a result of this.
Remember that the board was not built to have a center fin and boards that are made to have one are constructed with reinforced materials to take on the stress of fin placement. (I think I'm right on this last one anyhow.)
Justin