Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    aka Bradley Beach            05-06-2003, 7:39 AM Reply   
I've noticed in the past couple of weeks that my Mastercraft cover has started leaking a bit in the back and I'm getting water on the back seat. I'm strapping it down taught and using all the poles to keep water from collecting in the cover, but I think maybe it just needs to be re-waterproofed.

I'm thinking of washing the cover thouroughly with soap and water and then drying it out. Then using some sort of waterproofing spray on the cover.

Has anyone done this? Any other suggestions? Normally the boat is in the garage but sometimes its outside and gets rained on.
Old    dlb988            05-06-2003, 7:44 AM Reply   
I have used spray waterproofing (silicone) from Walmart, camping section. It works fine. About $5 per can, 3-4 cans for a 20 foot cover. It beads the water nicely. Easy to apply. Takes about 20 minutes.

Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2003, 7:56 AM Reply   
Definitely wash your cover first… make sure it dries completely and then get some of the 303 Fabric Guard spray and cover the whole thing. I got mine at West Marine and it works great. I used almost 3 bottles doing my entire cover. I went through the same thing last season.

Depending on how dirty your cover is… you may want to try one of those car wash places… I just did mine recently and the high-pressure soap setting worked great. Use a bit of caution if you use a regular pressure washer so you don’t damage the fabric. I actually washed both sides of my cover then used a bungie strap to secure the wadded up wet cover to my swim step for the short drive back to my house. Draped the cover over my fence and it was dry by the end of the day. Looks much better now.
Old    sickboy            05-06-2003, 9:31 AM Reply   
My dry cleaner cleaned my cover for a whopping $25. Came back all nice and folded.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
No way...... guess I should look into that next time. I probably spent at least 10 bucks in quarters at the car wash.

At least it's clean now.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-06-2003, 4:34 PM Reply   
Nikwax is the stuff to use. Using spray cans could work with about 30 of them. One or two bottles (Depending on size) of Nikwax washed in will take care of the cover. I went to a laundry mat and used their industrial washer.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-06-2003, 8:40 PM Reply   
I've been wondering the same thing lately - how to wash the cover and how to waterproof it. My cover seems like it would be too big even for the biggest industrial washer. Maybe I'll just have to give it a try anyway.

Peter - do you wash the cover and then wash it again with the Nikwax? My cover is really dusty/dirty right now.

Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-06-2003, 9:55 PM Reply   
Yes, wash the cover first then wash it again with the Nikwax.

From their website "Clean garments first using Nikwax Tech Wash or other non-detergent soap (I have to admit I just used laundry detergent cause my cover was super dusty). Leave wet garments in machine. After the machine has filled add at least one bottle of TX-Direct Wash-In(I used two 10 oz bottles). Run full machine cycle including rinses. For best results, stop the machine 5 minutes into the cycle and let garments soak for 15 minutes. Restart the machine and complete all cycles including rinses. Tumble dry on heat setting recommended on care label (I used medium heat for a short time just to start it drying then laid it out to dry)."

One of the reasons to use something like this product is because it is meant to breathe. I would say breathability (Real word?) is very important with a wet boat. I am a strong believer in top quality covers if a boat is stored outdoors. I stored my boat outdoors for most of its life, and when I sold the boat it looked better than many later model boats.

Bill, those industrial washing machines are bigger than they might seem. Even if the washing machine is overloaded then you must be getting your moneys worth, right?
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-07-2003, 9:06 AM Reply   
I use Nix Wax on my snowboard gear… but it’s not going to provide any UV protection for your boat cover. The cost of 2-3 bottles of each will be about the same… not sure about needing 30 cans…??
One of the benefits of the 303 Fabric Guard is that it keeps your cover from fading. And yet the fabric still has ‘breathability’.

I would stay away from camp dry or other sealer type water proofing sprays…. I used some on an old hiking coat to repel water and it felt like I was wearing a plastic bag it was so ‘water-proof’.

The big washing machine sounds like a great idea.
Old    aka Bradley Beach            05-07-2003, 9:15 AM Reply   
I just called my buddy who makes covers and stuff.

He said to take it to the car wash and wash really good. Let it totally dry out and then use Aquatight. Spray it all over and use a lot. He says he uses a gallon per cover. Let it dry and it should be totally sealed but breathable.

I'm going to try this! Thanks for the input guys.
Old    leggester            05-07-2003, 9:31 AM Reply   
I've used Aquatight before. It's great.

Make sure you don't get over spray on garage walls though. I've seen a bit of discoloration on a friend's garage wall from it.