Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-27-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
anybody have any experience with these, or know anything about them? They look pretty nice for the price and im thinking about getting one for my tower speakers.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-27-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
I have one powering 4 tower speakers. It is a rock solid amp, my HLCD's rock hard and clear and it's never cut out on me over heated. I also installed one powering my buddies new exile HLCD's and it also sounds great. For the price they are hard to beat!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-27-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Always have heard great reviews as a solid amp. I know quite a few people have referenced thme here. Regarded as a great price point amp with great quality, true rms power, and above average features.

I was in the middle on them or Kicker. The Kicker specs just fit my system better so went with them

Last edited by xstarrider; 10-27-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-27-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
I had one in the late 90's and I thought it was nice but then again I am not an audiophile. I seem to remember others saying Crunch amps are made by the same manufacturer but I could be wrong about that.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-27-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
I'm no stereo buff but i have a hifonics amp pushing my kicker tower speakers and i am very happy with it.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-27-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
Have one in my tow rig powering a pair of 12's and its been rock solid.
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-27-2010, 3:13 PM Reply   
I have one in my truck pushing two Sony 12's and it sounds great. I would say go for it!
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-27-2010, 4:23 PM Reply   
Good to hear!! I got the Zeus 150.4 for my tower speakers. 4x150 RMS for $250 sounds good to me!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-27-2010, 5:15 PM Reply   
You get what you pay for.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       10-27-2010, 7:17 PM Reply   
Per my profile, I have a Brutus powering my sub and a Nemisis powering my (4) boat speakers. No problems and I'm happy with them!
Old     (bradmo42)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-28-2010, 5:46 AM Reply   
yea.. they are solid. Had a crown vic with 4 15's with 4 1000 watt hifonics pushing them for a few days and it was insane. really powerful amps.

seriously, had a crown vic with 4 15's for like a week. word.
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-28-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
I have the Brutus BRZ2400.1D pushing my WS XXX. I got a smoking deal on it and it has performed very well for me. I couldn't tell any difference in that amp over the JL I had on it before..and i have a pretty darn good ear.
My only complaintswith the amps are that the blue LEDs don't have an on/off switch (had to open it and cut a wire) and that the cooling fins/heat sinks are like freaking razor blades if you hit them wrong. I cut a nail off my hand while reaching into the compartment. Aside from that, I would not hesitate to buy another one-- at least for the sub power.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-28-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
I have a buddy with a full wetsounds tower and wetsound amp. His systems freaking rocks, but honestly I can barely if at all tell the difference between my HLCDs and hifonics amp and his amazing setup. Great amps at great prices.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-28-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
As stated above, bang for buck, good quality. Mine has also held up pretty darn well in marine conditions.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-29-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
Like everyone else says, very good bang for your buck. If you search audio message baords you'll hear the same thing. good quality for the price and push the rated ( or more) power than specs. I still think all the new digital class d ( full range) and class g/h ( wetsounds) are still the best amps to use in boats purely based on their effeciency. At the end of the day, you'll get alot more power w/o haviing to mess with multiple batteries and upgraded alts, ect.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-29-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
Not saying they won't do the job but the only thing I've heard about them is that they might do rated power if you get a good one, and when they do their rated power it will be at the expense of 2-5% distortion. The g/h amps aren't near as efficient as the class D amps are.

Last edited by 05mobiuslsv; 10-29-2010 at 9:06 AM.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
The g/h amps aren't near as efficient as the class D amps are.
Is that so? I was under the impression that they were even more effecient.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-29-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Is that so? I was under the impression that they were even more effecient.
Yup
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
Dope!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-29-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Dope!
Kinda, not to many high powered full range class D amps yet though.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-29-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
Not saying they won't do the job but the only thing I've heard about them is that they might do rated power if you get a good one, and when they do their rated power it will be at the expense of 2-5% distortion. The g/h amps aren't near as efficient as the class D amps are.
Sorry that is Wrong. Class GH is right there with Class D in terms of efficiency. The better class D is slightly more efficient. But only by a couple percentage points. So where you say "aren’t near as efficient". That is not correct. They are so close and the percentage points are so minimal. It is a moot point in terms of efficiency.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-29-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
I've seen a review of one of the full range class d amps that was about 90%, are the gh that high?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-29-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
I actually saw a review for the arc ks 300.4 that had a max efficiency of 66.9% as well. Dont' know what the effeciency graphs would look like stacked ontop of eachother though. My comment was just based off those reviews.

Last edited by 05mobiuslsv; 10-29-2010 at 3:34 PM.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
As far as the KS goes that looks pretty close to what their website says:
Attached Images

Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-29-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
I found that arc review I saw, looks like it was the 300.2 and not the 300.4.

http://www.arcaudio.com/productpics/...3002review.pdf
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-30-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
Efficiency of various amplifier classes? All contemporary amplifiers, regardless of class, will have some form of pulse width modulated switching DC to AC to DC power supply. A stand alone power supply can be above 90 percent efficiency and a Class D audio amplifier section can be above 90 percent efficiency. This will net you better than 80 percent overall efficiency. While there are differences within a particular class, individual topologies, whether unregulated or regulated, etc, Class D has the highest efficiency followed by the G/H Classes. Class AB is a distant third and can be well below 50 percent efficiency as you lower the impedance load.
There is good and bad of everything but some quality Class D amplifiers do greatly exceed specifications as evidenced by the included birth certificates. And, side by side comparisons between the very best benchmark Class AB the better Class D amplifiers are indistinquishable in both distortion and sound quality. Don't believe the misinformation about Class D amplifiers that originate from competing amplifier companies that don't have it or have to depend on other companies to supply it.
We consistently use a JL Audio HD750/1 to power four HLCD tower speakers and I'll put that up against any single 2-channel tower amplifier that I have heard to date regardless of specs.
The reality is that as you drive a less efficient amplifier hard the voltage sags more at the primary terminals and the unregulated power supply yields less voltage out to the gain or audio amplifier section which results in a fall-off of real power. And, a less efficient amplifier certainly pulls the average voltage down quicker. So I can't imagine why anyone would regress a few decades and not adopt newer technology unless budget driven. Having stated that we use alot of Class AB amplifiers in boats because they are still more affordable. But let's be realistic in that technology has clearly moved forward.

David
Earmark Marine