Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (rwb_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-17-2010, 7:17 PM Reply   
It's time for a new camera. I'm a beginner when it comes to anything photography so looking for something rugged and easy to set-up, but has good image quality.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666122654

I'm looking at the new Sony TX5 waterproof. It's a bit pricy, but looks good. Any experience or thoughts about this camera would be appreciated.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-18-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
I just did some quick reading on a few sites, including Imaging-Resource. (http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/TX5/TX5A.HTM)

It actually looks to be a pretty decent waterproof camera. As with most Sony items, some of the extra cost is in the name alone, but it seems to produce better images and have some unique features when compared to other underwater/rugged cameras.

I might actually look into purchasing one, until this thread I was unaware Sony was going to do a rugged version of the T-series. (I have had a T7 since it was released in 2005, never had a single issue with it)
Old     (rwb_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-18-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
Matt - When looking for a small waterproof camera it seemed to me the best option I could find. I may pull the trigger soon, found a site that has it for $305. Was just curious if anyone else has given it a try as I have missed out on some great pictures lately due to the bad pics I get from my old Casio.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-19-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
Let me know if you end up buying one. I am going to go look at it tonight. I am like you in that my old camera causes me to miss great shots. Just a bit of advice, if your the type of person that gets extended warranties on electronics, SonyStyle usually is the cheapest, and they offer 12 months no interest if you have a Sony card. It might be worth paying 20 dollars more for the camera.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-22-2010, 6:28 AM Reply   
I bought a TX5 last night. So far, its pretty impressive. I will give you an update after I use it more.
Old     (RobbieMWD)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-23-2010, 8:46 AM Reply   
I haven't seen the TX5 in any stores yet. I went to best buy and all they had was the TX7. Where is the best place to buy one. I've been contemplating buying the Olympus waterproof one for a few years now. I really like this Sony one.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-24-2010, 6:37 AM Reply   
I got mine at a SonyStyle store. When I was looking for a place to buy one, I searched TX5 and Best Buy and I found a blurb on Best Buys forum stating they had no intentions of selling the TX5.

I am not sure why this is, just letting you know. SonyStyle actually worked out well, I got a $75 gift card with my purchase, which I was allowed to apply to a service plan. I ended up choosing a 2 year for $70. I usually would opt out, but this camera is going to be in the water quite often, and the regular warranty only covers defects. With the service plan, I forget to close the battery door and the camera dies in the water, I get a new one.

Now I just neew a floating wrist strap, a waterproof camera does me no good if I drop it and it falls to the bottom of the lake...

Last edited by MattieK27; 05-24-2010 at 6:40 AM.
Old     (rwb_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-25-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
Matt-

Congrats on the purchase, I'm anxiously waiting to see how you like it and yes the floating strap is a must to keep that new toy from sinking. I'm having to wait a bit before I pull the trigger now as I just broke my shift cable by accident when having to put a new battery in since my old one was not holding charge. Total project would have probablly funded the new camera now
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-25-2010, 8:28 PM Reply   
We have their older version of that. Its a 5mp and its a DSC-T7. The camera wasnt waterproof but we have a sony case that goes over it with a yellow float. Works great and looks like its specs are the same for the depth. We throw it out of the boat at a rider or somebody in the water and dont have to worry about it sinking of getting wet. Freaks people out though when you throw the camera into the water lol...I bought the camera in '05 for around $500 and we still use it today and it works perfect. The price on this one isnt terrible at all.
Matt,
Do you still use your T7? If not you interested in selling it? could always use a backup lol
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-20-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermustang35 View Post
We have their older version of that. Its a 5mp and its a DSC-T7. The camera wasnt waterproof but we have a sony case that goes over it with a yellow float. Works great and looks like its specs are the same for the depth. We throw it out of the boat at a rider or somebody in the water and dont have to worry about it sinking of getting wet. Freaks people out though when you throw the camera into the water lol...I bought the camera in '05 for around $500 and we still use it today and it works perfect. The price on this one isnt terrible at all.
Matt,
Do you still use your T7? If not you interested in selling it? could always use a backup lol
Greg, sorry I always tend to keep my old electronics.

As far as a camera update for those interested, I love it. It takes better pictures indoors than my previous Sony, and outdoors it is amazing.

http://picasaweb.google.com/MDKloos/...eat=directlink