Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-24-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
With the majority of the Master Women at Nationals sporting knee braces, I figured I would ask the ladies for advice. I currently have a Don Joy Defiance III custom knee brace and have to admit that I am not in love with it. It moves around a lot when I fall, it bruises my leg while snowboarding and it doesn't fit well under clothing.

I don't wear the cover that they gave me, does it help with the moving?

I'm looking at the CTi (Pro). If you have one...What do you like/dislike about it? Does it move at all? Does it fit under clothing (snowboard pants)?

I should be cleared to be back on the water by the end of the year. It feels like forever since I rode last and I don't want to chance another injury if I can help it.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-24-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
Hey Chris!

Glad to hear you are about to be back at it! I had a DonJoy and did not care for it at all. It always moved around and, I actually blew my knee out a 2nd time while wearing it! I moved to the CTi Aspire (women's version of Pro) and have never had an issue with it slipping. Ossur also provides great service after the sale, and will refurbish it for a reasonable price. Not to mention, they paint it to match my boat! lol I think Jen called my brace "pimp," if I remember right! You also don't have to wear anything under/over the brace to keep it in place.

It should also fit fine under snowboard pants...not that I've tried that!

http://www.ossur.com/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=12668

(Message edited by wakekat15 on November 24, 2008)

(Message edited by wakekat15 on November 24, 2008)
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-24-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
I agree with Kat. I have a standard cti2 and it fits really well. I only get some movement if I wear too much sunscreen! I usually wait to lube up that leg til after I ride now, and I'm getting a pretty groovy stripey leg tan where the straps go :-)
I don't think you'd have any trouble when snowboarding.
I actually got a neoprene sleeve to wear under it (it was rubbing on my leg a while ago when I'd ride cable and my skin would get soggy after being in the water for ages). I never actually wore it, but it might give you a bit of extra comfort when you're snowboarding - given you'll be wearing it for longer periods of time.
I also have to say that if you don't use the biggest extension stop, then there's not much point wearing the brace. i was wearing my brace when i first got it without the extension stops, and I ended up re-injuring my knee...
I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the cti
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-24-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
Hey Kat,

Thanks for all the info! I'll let you know what ends up happening. I will hopefully get fitted by the end of Dec. The Dr. wants to wait until after I am done with PT so hopefully I'll have some muscle mass back in my leg. Looks like Dec will be spent dieting and in PT.
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-24-2008, 6:24 PM Reply   
Alice,

Thanks for the info. I hate going into things unprepared and the info that you and Kat provided is definitely helpful!

I can't wait to hit the water again. Seems like forever!!
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-25-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
Alice - are you ever in the states? You are welcome to ride with us in Florida if ever in the hood! Of course, I'll be pinging you if I ever plan a trip to Australia....it's on my Bucket List!

Chris - lol, that reminds me of my last knee issue. I tried to lose weight before getting fitted for the brace. Ended up losing 20 lbs after & had to get it re-fitted. I got a promotion to a desk job..thanks...gained it all back within 6 months! Ossur does have 1 Year Fit Guarantee, so no worries if the leg shape changes in that time! I think I'm going to have to get my knee cleaned up....tweaked it at World's and lots of pain since! At least not an ACL this time!
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-25-2008, 5:27 PM Reply   
Thanks Kat! no plans to head to the states in the near future, but you never know. I'll definitely get in touch if i ever make it to florida!

I'm sure I'd be able to help you out if you ever make it to aus too :-)
The dollar would definitely work in your favour if you came now!

I had dramas trying to put muscle bulk back on when i got fitted for my brace too - fortunately nothing that I haven't been able to fix by messing around with the padding since.
I never really got my full quad size back :-(

I hope your clean-up goes well Kat. I had an arthroscopy 6 months after my original acl reco, and the arthroscopy hardly hurt at all in comparison. the recovery was a touch longer than the optimistic 2 weeks the surgeon told me, but definitely not too long. Unfortunately I lost all my muscle bulk overnight (yet again) when i got it done, so beware! It'll be worth it though. :-)
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-29-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
CC....get in touch with Erica....CTI sponsored her....ask them to sponsor you with a CTI brace. E-mail me and I will send you her info. I am going to Orlando next week for an education/seminar week (har har) . Plan on hanging with Kat and doing a couple camps. Glad you are back on a board. When is the Arizona freeeze ride this year? Oh...I think that is an oxymoron....Az never freezes!!!
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-30-2008, 7:47 AM Reply   
Geri - I hadn't even thought of that. I'll pop you an email.

I don't think we are having the freeze ride this year. The economy being what it is, I am starting to think we are going to be lucky to have our normal series
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-30-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
That's too bad....maybe the gas prices will help with that.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-01-2008, 6:49 AM Reply   
For a real Freeze 4 Life you can join me in Wisconsin this weekend. Air temp 32 - water temp 33 - wakeboarding for the first time in 2 months = priceless!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-03-2008, 8:31 PM Reply   
Is Lizrd out of hibernation??? Worried about you girl!!!
Old     (triskelstar)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-09-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
Just thought I'd add.... CTI's are the BEST. DonJoy sucks. CTI's were developed by motocross riders and they work really well. No slippage etc. etc. and if you ride moto you can add a patella cup. works great for snowboarding too.....
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-13-2009, 5:14 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the inputs. Looks like I'm on my way to a new brace. The doctor called in the script for me yesterday so I need to make arrangements to get fitted.

In other exciting news, I rode twice over the holiday break. Wake to wake HS & TS with some grabs. No 180's yet, but considering how long I've been off the water I was stoked to do what I did.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-26-2009, 4:45 PM Reply   
I absoltely LOVE LOVE LOVE my "Breg" knee brace. I forget that I have it on. I don't hear too many people talk about Breg though. I have a custom one. Its pink!
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-26-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
I have a custom brace from Breg too! Except they didn't give me a choice on the color. I got black. I think I would have picked something more fun had I known!

I actually have one from Breg for each knee but I only wear the right one now. I have definitely been happy with both of them.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-27-2009, 5:18 AM Reply   
Yeah, Jen! I have two braces also (one CTi & one Donjoy), but I didn't want to look like Forest Gump, so I only use the one for the knee that I've blown twice!