Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-17-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
A close friend of mine just started work as an engineer at the Yolo/Solano Air Quality Managment district in Davis, CA. He informed me that in the near future, there will be a statewide ban on "pleasure boating" during any "Spare the air" day.

It's honestly one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard, and it's already been set in motion. What are these people thinking?

Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-17-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
that is ridiculous..what is the difference between boats and cars?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-17-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
the difference is emissions control. cars have it, boats don't
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-17-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
The difference is, the people or I should say politicians making these laws don't have boats. So they don't care. But they do have cars. Probably getting close to election time by the time the law comes into effect. Now they can say, "Hear me poeple!, Look what I did to save you from yourselves!"
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-17-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
my boat has ultra low emissions..that is what it says!

(Message edited by pittsy on June 17, 2006)
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-17-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
Thats just plain crazy. Just think if it was a spare the air day and the whole lake was just pure butter what would you do.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-17-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
I would like to see the data on the percentage of pollutants put into the air between cars, planes, boats, and other.

I imagine that pleasure boating is a trivial component of the air quality issue. Plus, most pleasure boating is done in rural areas.

(Message edited by greatdane on June 17, 2006)
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-17-2006, 9:11 PM Reply   
damn hippies
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-18-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
i ahte hippies. they say they wanna change the world but all they do is sit around play acoustic guitars and smoke weed all day. hippies suck.

for further information see: South Park episode 902, "Die Hippies, Die".

really though, download it. it is the best 23 minutes you'll ever spend.

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/video/902/902_cartman_in_the_ladys_house.mov

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/video/902/902_promo.mov

(Message edited by madchild1 on June 18, 2006)
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-18-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
With the emmisions control on cars now, even though there are less of them, lawnmowers put out more emmisions than cars. I don't know where boats fit in the equation.

Does this mean that there will be no mowing the lawn on those days too?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-18-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   
I think I am going to go and fire up my lawn mower and mow the lawn now.

Wouldn't putting a ban on boats for a day be voiding our constitutional rights somehow?

How would the Sheriff chase you down anyhow without a boat? If they are allowed to be out then we are because we are practicing for our professional wakeboarding career.
Old     (shocker)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-18-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
hahhah u get a ticket for boating on the wrong day, is this olny in cali
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-18-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
Those leaf blowers are horrible too... mucho pollution. Plus, all they do is just blow dust all over my car :-( This whole thing sounds pretty asinine
Old    deltahoosier            06-18-2006, 7:51 PM Reply   
Everyone knows that cars in Cali get less gas mileage than cars in the rest of the US. Anyone have stats on the amount of pollution a 49 state car puts out per gallon vs a cali car? I bet cali is polluting more due to the extra fuel used. Then add in the ground water pollution of MTBE....
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-19-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
If that's the case I think I'll fire my lawmower, and while its warming up I'll go take my dirtbike for a ride up and down the street (I'll mix the fuel extra rich since I don't want to burn up the top end). Then I'll mow the lawn. Drive my truck to the gas station, fill up my gas cans that don't have any vapor restrictors on them, head home, blow the leaves and hit the weeds with the wacker.

It'll be amazing how much I can acomplish around the house without going out to the boat.

Actually though, that's one of the most rediculous things I've ever hear. There is more air polution from fuel vapors lost while re-fueling then from actually driving. Not to mention that boats make up suck a tiny percentage of vehicles. I couldn't believe it when they started putting cats on motorcycles and they're now coming for '07 boats. If you really want to clean up the air how about going after big industry or sending some money over to China for them to clean up their factories. When CARB goes on missions to clean up vehicles even more it just makes me laugh. New cars already run so clean you can breath the air out of tailpipes. They need to focus more attention on getting rid of old cars.