Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-16-2012, 2:28 PM Reply   
Sometimes Dan.. I think your ideas are completely based in fantasy rather than logic.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-16-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
Jake looked good I had it 2-1, he was getting beat in the third even before the slip. I don't know who said that was like the Condit fight nothing like it at all. I am a Sanchez fan cause he comes to fight but Jake was very much game, he could have taken Diego down and won the fight on the ground but he stayed in there and tried to end the fight. I thought it was a much better fight then Diaz/Condit and I would have rather paid for that then DIaz/Condit glad it was free now I don't feel as robbed by the Diaz/Condit fight. As far as Diego winning if it was 5, I don't know cause Jake still was ready to go he just got caught a couple times.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jake and that Danny Hendrickson (I think thats his name) guy that knolked out Fitch
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-16-2012, 5:21 PM Reply   
Was it me or was Diego flat the first two? It's like all of a sudden in the 3rd his red bull kicked in... Not to mention he looked softer than usual. No h0m0.

NSFW
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-17-2012, 12:19 AM Reply   
I just got to watch the fight between Sonnen and Bisbing. I thought someone on here said Sonnen couldnt take him down? Sonnen took him down 5 times. I had it a very close fight but thought Sonnen eeked out the win. Was impressed with Bisbing though as much as I can't stand the guy. I must say Chael looked wierd and acted even wierder. He is either a genious to get people talking about him or a freaking idiot totally self absorbed. Did you see him take the mich from Rogan? Funny stuff but bizarre.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-17-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
Sonnen is a genius manipulator and hype creator. He's not an idiot.. he's brilliant at marketing fights and making himself as much money as possible.

Erik, you're referring to Johny Hendricks, I believe.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-20-2012, 7:46 AM Reply   
Sonnen is quite brilliant in many things. He looked rusty against Bisbing which was probably due to the 18 month lay off. Bisbing looked much better than I expected.

Either way - Those two guys won't even be able to carry Silva's belt into the area. Won't be a fight. Good news is that Silva may finally seal Sonnen's mouth permanently in Brazil.

Same goes with Diego/Jake - Neither guy could hold GSP's belt into the ring.

Kind of crazy if you look at the champs right now how dominant they are. The only division that keeps flip flopping in Heavyweight.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-20-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
I think there will be a new light weight champ next weekend. I think Henderson is a beast.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-20-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
I agree... I think Ben Henderson might actually give Frankie Edgar a run for his money.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-20-2012, 3:25 PM Reply   
Yhea Ben takes it this weekend and than Frankie goes down in weight where he "fits". Amazing how small he is, but how damn good he is. I think Ben is on the lin of Also and JBJ, he is sick. His time is coming for sure.

Decent card - Looking forward to it.

You guys playing undisputed? Pretty fun. Ground stuff is much harder, but the versatility of knees, cage, and pride stuff is fun.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-21-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
i love Henderson he is a contender for sure, but man Edgar has the biggest heart in all MMA, you arent gonna beat him unless you knock him out or break a limb. As good as Henderson is i am not sure I would bet against Frankie Edgar. The weird thing is I don't think Frankie really gets the respect he deserves. Maybe it's because he just has the baby face and looks nothing like what a fighter should look like. He is fast quick and is good any where the fight goes. Henderson thinks he will get Edgar on the ground, I am not so sure Edgar won't pull a GSP and take Henderson down right out of the gate. Should be one of the best fights this year.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-22-2012, 7:00 AM Reply   
Benson is gonna tear him up on the floor..
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-22-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
I'm not discounting Edgar at all. Plenty of people have discounted him throughout his title reign and yet he always finds a way to win. I think it will be a close fight and I don't expect either fighter to run away with it. Henderson is a really good fighter.. but he's nowhere near the status of Aldo or JBJ. He hasn't done anything yet to warrant that comparison.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-23-2012, 6:58 AM Reply   
Ben is 14-1, only loss was the Pettis wall walk kick. He was ahead on the cards until then.. If he was coming in 15-0 as the former WEC champ, we might think of him differently and compare him to the greats.

I love his style. Relenetless, fast paced. I read a stat about him that he is the hardest man in the UFC to submit. He has escaped 28 legit submission attempts in his Zuffa time. That's probably half good thing (great defense) and half bad (puts himself in bad positions).

I love Bendo. One of my favorites. Hoping he does well, great fight and he walks away with the win. I'd like to see Edgar at 45' as everyone has said.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-23-2012, 8:39 AM Reply   
Jeff,
I think Ben is going to beat Edgar, but to say he was ahead in the fight with Pettis until the kick is just not true. At best that fight was tied heading to the final round, but I believe and must would agree Pettis was winning that fight even before the show time kick. Since that fight Ben has looked dominate. Maybe that loss refocused him. I expect Ben to control Edgar. Although like everyone says I thought Edgar was done in the last two Maynard fights and he has pulled of some great comebacks.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-23-2012, 10:24 AM Reply   
On paper this is a great card. I guess I will be forced to take BCPMike's money again. I know you guys are all scientific in your assessments of these fights and I truly respect that but I am all for the "GUT CALL". Bendo makes it exciting but Edgar is hard to kill (even though I hate the guy). I think it is close, neither guy gets finished and the judges stick with Edgar.

Just as a Fan I hope Rampage does well but he is fighting a great wrestler in Bader. Although I see Bader as the future and Rampage as the past I still would love to see Rampage knock him out.

Last edited by phatboypimp; 02-23-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-23-2012, 1:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
I love his style. Relenetless, fast paced. I read a stat about him that he is the hardest man in the UFC to submit. He has escaped 28 legit submission attempts in his Zuffa time. That's probably half good thing (great defense) and half bad (puts himself in bad positions).
How many were in that first Cerrone fight?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-24-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalrider View Post
How many were in that first Cerrone fight?
About 6578 if I recall correctly.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2012, 1:34 PM Reply   
I hope you guys got this card. It was great! Some great action and comebacks. That Pettis kick was very pretty as was the up kick by Henderson. I am ready for Pettis vs Henderson 2.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-26-2012, 1:56 PM Reply   
I am kicking myself for not getting it. Every person i talked to said it was an amazing night of fights. Henderson is the shizzzle. So what was the Petis kick this time?
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-27-2012, 9:05 AM Reply   
HOLY SHIZA. What a card! Pettis and Henderson were SICK. The Edger Hendo fight was very close/even, but Henderson pushed the pace and had nice octagon control. Not to mention the upkick of the decade. I am still trying to take it all end, but almost every fight was great.

Jake Shields was boring, but winner.

Be back later in the week with more time.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-27-2012, 10:40 AM Reply   
Who did Jake Shields fight? I didnt even know he was fighting. He needed that win or i think they would have dropped him. What is going on with Mayhem? After his last fight with Bisbing I thought they may drop him he looked so bad.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-27-2012, 12:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by poser007 View Post
Who did Jake Shields fight? I didnt even know he was fighting. He needed that win or i think they would have dropped him. What is going on with Mayhem? After his last fight with Bisbing I thought they may drop him he looked so bad.
He fougth Akiyama. They both "needed" wins. I have a feeling it wsa a loser leaves town match. they are paying both of them big $$.

Mayhem has a fight scheduled for May. He is fighting CB Dollaway.

They considered dropping him - but he is a fan favorite. especially with the hardcore guys. I hope he puts on a better showing. He has looked fantastic a few times in the past and also put up a few stinkers.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-04-2012, 3:07 PM Reply   
So, some big fights coming up!

Anyone else picking Rashad over Jones? I think I am!

In other news, UFC 146 is on the horizon...all heavyweight main card, with Dos Santos vs. The Reem for the title. NSAC took advantage of them all being in Nevada for the press conference and tested all the heavyweights. I told my wife that someone is pissing hot.

It was just announced Overeem failed his test (shocker). Elevated T/E ratio.

So, he has to appear before the NSAC and explain if he wants to get licensed. I don't think that'll happen.

Get ready for dos santos/Cain 2 or dos santos/Mir instead.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-05-2012, 7:31 AM Reply   
I think Fedor would be the better replacement and get more draw.

Not surprised by the Overeem results.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-06-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripr View Post
So, some big fights coming up!

Anyone else picking Rashad over Jones? I think I am!

In other news, UFC 146 is on the horizon...all heavyweight main card, with Dos Santos vs. The Reem for the title. NSAC took advantage of them all being in Nevada for the press conference and tested all the heavyweights. I told my wife that someone is pissing hot.

It was just announced Overeem failed his test (shocker). Elevated T/E ratio.

So, he has to appear before the NSAC and explain if he wants to get licensed. I don't think that'll happen.

Get ready for dos santos/Cain 2 or dos santos/Mir instead.
Jones is going to do Rashad so ugly it wont even be funny.. After the fight - Rashad is going to drop down to 185 so he doesn't have to face Jones again and he will leave the Blackzillians and come back to Jacksons..

Early word is that Frank Mir is the man for the job.. I'll take Mir by kneebar.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-14-2013, 1:55 PM Reply   
UFC 158 discuss...

Anyone see the press conference? Diaz got almost all the questions, just ridiculous amounts of stuff circling this fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36YMv...layer_embedded
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-14-2013, 4:26 PM Reply   
Diaz is my second favorite personality in MMA! Is freakin comedy watching him play this game...he's playing us all!

....I hope he wins so we can watch Dana squirm.

Really looking forward to the Hendricks/Condit fight tho!!
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-18-2013, 7:46 AM Reply   
Can't say I'm surprised by the outcome, pretty much exactly how I thought GSP/Diaz fight would go. Even as a GSP fan I have to say his fights are getting almost too scientific in his approach/execution.

The Condit/Hendricks fight on the other hand was awesome. With 5 rounds, I think Condit would have taken that fight. Even with 3 I had it really close. I think the UFC scores take downs a little too highly because even though Hendricks took Condit down, Condit did more damage off his back and worked for the escape the entire time, the take downs really didn't do any damage.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-18-2013, 9:43 AM Reply   
Going in, I was cheering for Diaz. By the end of the match, I'm glad GSP made him suffer through 5 rounds. His antics, excluding the last two rounds, when the bell rang at the end of each round displayed some horrible sportsmanship. Of course, this could've been apart of the act, but still crossed the line.

On another note, any of ya'll watch Ultimate Fighter? This season has been a doozy.

Last edited by MCObray; 03-18-2013 at 9:47 AM.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-20-2013, 8:53 PM Reply   
I agree the GSP Diaz fight was ok in my book but we have learned that regardless of what GSP says or how they try and hype the fight, GSP is going to fight a technical fight. That being said I noticed for the first time george getting tired. When is the last time you saw GSP go for a take down and not be able to get it? He even said in the press conference he was tired in the 3rd round and he thought it was weird. Maybe he had an adrenaline dump who knows.

The Condit Hendricks fight was awesome. I thought hendricks did pull it out with the tkae downs but I thought if the fight went much longer Condit may have taken it. Funny all the hyyoe about hendricks stand up yet he wanted to take it to the ground after standing with Condit for a while. I think hendricks will be the biggest threat to GSP so far. Hendricks showed amazing take downs and he poses some crazy power how le lunges into his punches. It is going to be interesting to see how GSP plays this fight. It will be tough wherever the fight goes.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-21-2013, 9:07 AM Reply   
Cards for the month of April, 3 free, 1 pay-per-view:

Jon Jones vs Chael Sonnen
Benson Henderson vs Gilbert Melendez
Daniel Cormier vs Frank Mir
Urijah Faber vs Scott Jorgensen
Alexander Gustaffson vs Gegard Mousasi
TUF Finale
Alan Belcher vs Michael Bisping
Nate Diaz vs Josh Thompson
Phil Davis vs Vinny Magalhaes
Pat Healy vs Jim Miller
Chiek Kongo vs Roy Nelson
Mike Easton vs Brad Pickett
Travis Browne vs Gabriel Gonzaga
Matt Brown vs Dan Hardy
Diego Brandao vs Pablo Garza
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-21-2013, 9:14 AM Reply   
^^Free and some good name fights? Sounds like a deal to me. I think Jones is going to obliterate Sonnen.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-30-2013, 5:33 AM Reply   
So did anyone else think the Jones vs. Sonnen fight would go any differently? Sonnen had absolutely nothing for Jones, just a mauling. So the fact that Silva's weakness seems to be strong wrestlers, and Jones dominated a strong wrestler, it makes the Silva vs. Jones match up more interesting.

We'll have to see how Silva vs. Weidman goes but right now I'm giving the edge Jones if the fight happens.

Oh, and what was with the eye poke fest?

Last edited by lugwrench; 04-30-2013 at 5:35 AM. Reason: Meh
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-30-2013, 7:29 AM Reply   
What a strange night of fights. Two major nasty broken digits, major eye poking, generally a weak card, bad ref'ing and bruce buffer making his first mistake caught on TV. The whole night we were in shock of just how strange it was. It really took away from some quality performances.

The thing with chael is that he is a very legit like #3-4 guy in each division. Kind of like Faber and Edger. They are right there at the top, but the current champs are just plain superior to the rest of their divisions. It is actually crazy that his skill-set is very known yet he has the ability to win until the top.

I think the super fight happens at this point and late this year or even New Years. John Jones is so fast, strong, big and heavy and more importantly YOUNG. I think if he chooses he could dump Anderson on his back and keep him there for 5 rounds. I also thing is length and speed he can keep outside of Anderson. I think the same if Anderson and GSP were to fight - I think anderson being the bigger man could deal with GSP. Also have to keep in mind that Anderson is not that young and really has not been challenged in years, much like Jones or GSP. they are just elite athletes. Probably have to throw Aldo in that same talk as he will likely be on a long run.

Lots of good fights next few months that should shape a few things up.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-30-2013, 8:02 AM Reply   
Jones vs. Silva makes perfect sense to me. I have this gut feeling that Jones will show everyone that Anderson Silva is human.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-30-2013, 11:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
Wonder what's next for Jones? I'm sure he'll get the winner of Rashad and Davis.. So he'll be fighting Rashad.. I don't think he'll have any problem with Evans.. What's next? He's essentially went THROUGH the entire talent pool. As much of a Hendo nut rider as I am - he doesn't have a prayer. I know that "MMA Math" doesn't work but Jones buzzed right through Shogun and Hendo went 5 rounds to war with him.. Hendo wouldn't have anything for Jones. Styles make fights - and that fight doesn't favor Hendo..

So what's next? Thiago Silva is finally off suspension - but he'll need at LEAST 1-2 "tune up" fights to get rid of ring rust and get back onto to the radar.. And then the reality sets in that Thiago has NOTHING for Jones.. Nothing. And I love Thiago.. So what's in the pipe at 205? No one can convince me that a Gustaffson or something along those lines is going to put up a challenge for him.. Are we going to start recycling guys ala 170 with GSP? See another fight against Shogun or Rampage or PeePee Drinker? Hope not!

They need to bring in some other talent or have someone from HW cut down to LHW.. I'd like to see a Mousasi or a Lawal or hell - even a Hector Lombard just to get some new blood in there..

Jones is gonna be champ for as long as he wants.. His only challenge will be the fact that he's still young and he's SO big for the weight class. As we get older, it's harder to stay light. I think he'll either move up to HW eventually or he'll dominate at 205 for 4-5 more fights and retire and go persue something else.

155.. The revolving door will soon start there as well. it's just TOO deep.. Bendo is going to beat Edgar. Fact. He's not much of a finisher and not much of a striker. His ground game is absolutely top notch. Insane pace, great sub game and wicked GNP.. I always thought Edgar was a "soft" champ anyways. He'll lose to Bendo and then move down to 145 immediately and fight in his proper weight class. I predict hit or miss success with him. But 155 gets so crazy and so dicey. So many guys that could be the next guy on any given night. Youv'e got Guida, Guillard, Miller, Bendo, Edgar and then you have a bunch of fringe guys who could strike at anytime as well.. Will Gil Melendez make it over eventually? I think yes. I say he defends the SF belt ONE more time and then comes over. He can beat anyone on any night but he's not unbeatable by any stretch. He lost to Josh Thomson who is far from a world beater. I think he's benefitted greatly from beating B level talent.

145? Crapshoot. Obviously Aldo is a stud but he's shown some chinks in his armor. Who knows how that will play out. I say he's champ and beats 2 more guys. if a guy like Mendes can't get it done - most guys probably won't. You definitely won't outstrike him, it would take a grappler with good submissions to tap him so we'll see if a TRUE wrestle**** fighter with GNP like Mendes can do it.. After those two - it's a revolving door. Anyone on any given night might get a shot..

Interesting things coming up. Japanese MMA is all but dead. Dream on NYE was meh at best. Aoki match was fun to see and part of me will always hope Fedor gets a win.. I doubt we'll see mroe than 3 shows from Dream this year and nothing from Sengoku has impressed in 2 years now.. What will Bellator do? My guess is nothing but become a home for foreign B level guys (they seem to be LOVING the Brazilians lately) and be a falling space for UFC cast offs. I don't see the UFC stealign ANY of their talent. I'm not sure their top talent is really top talent at all.. Alvarez and Chandler are obviously solid fighters but are they guys who would beat Bendo or Miller or XYZ? Maybe, maybe not. Aoki beat Alvarez and Aoki has had mixed success against top dogs NOT from Japan.. Hector Lombar while exciting is a product of matchmaking - "I'll fight anywhere, anytime! As long as it's someone far past their prime, new to MMA, undersized or oversized".. M'Pumba couldn't even get passed my boy Travis who couldn't hack it in the big leagues in the UFC. There is no hope there for transplants..

Posted in January of 2012..... 15 months ago...

WHO WANTS TO TOUCH ME????
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-30-2013, 11:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyb View Post
Jones vs. Silva makes perfect sense to me. I have this gut feeling that Jones will show everyone that Anderson Silva is human.
wont even be close.. Jones will beat him worse than most of the people he's already beat.. 1 sided..
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-01-2013, 1:03 PM Reply   
Honestly at this point if I were Anderson Silva I would take the GSP fight it's alot safer for him. Why ***** your career by going up against a guy like Jones? The fight that makes the most sense to me for Jones is Cain Velasquez. It makes more sense. First Cain is only a couple years older then Jones so they are both young fighters. Cain is an animal standing and on the ground. Jones is also strong standing and amazing on the ground. Jones was giving an interview the other day and said that he normally walks around between 225-230 but even then he is very lean. Cain walks around at about the same weight he fights at which is around 247ish. SO basically the Cain and Jones fight would make way more sense. We have had several heavyweights like Couture 220 Vera 220 even Dos Santos would come in around 232 when he first came into the octagon Jones could eaisly come in at 230 235ish and be a great heavy weight. The only 205ers he hasnt met are the tall swede I forget his name right now and Textera Glover. I would rather see Jones fight Cain then anyone else.

BTW I have to say there is nobody in the UFC that uses their elbows like jon jones does. Those things are like razors when he is on top and reigning those damn things down on you. At this point I would like to see Jones be challenged or beaten. I think if he fought Silva as long as the fight stayed standing Silva could beat him...but I am pretty sure Jones would get him to the ground and reign down those ridiculous elbows . On another note..I just found out Jon Fitch was let go.....Honestly I think Dana White needs to have his head examined.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-01-2013, 1:20 PM Reply   
They were paying Fitch $90k per fight, he's as exciting as watching paint dry and he was a pain in the ass to work with..
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-02-2013, 9:38 AM Reply   
JD - No more boring then GSP's fights. So basically if GSP losses 2 fights they cut him? Ridiculous
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-03-2013, 9:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by poser007 View Post
JD - No more boring then GSP's fights. So basically if GSP losses 2 fights they cut him? Ridiculous
The difference is that GSP puts asses in the seats and Fitch didn't..
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-08-2013, 11:58 AM Reply   
great to see Silva finally get beat in the UFC. Really strange how it happened though. Silva has a very interesting personality.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-09-2013, 7:46 AM Reply   
Besides losing a grip of money and being seriously pissed off, the whole thing looked fixed to me. I like that Anderson got beat. Let's look at some interesting thoughts.

-The betting line like a month ago was -675 for Anderson and ended up at -200. I did not pull my stats, but I do not recall that ever happening in MMA. I also do not ever remember Anderson only being at -200.

-Two weeks before the fight, all of a sudden a bunch of UFC fighters start coming out in support of Chris. I do not recall that happening either. It was like the UFC realized Anderson was not going to say ****, so they used their fighters to do that.

-The fight was absurd. Chris Barely touched him(although 1 take down) and it was clear Anderson was faster and was avoiding punches easily.

-Chris wins the fight and barely celebrates. You wait your whole life for this moment and we have seen most guys cry or celebrate endlessly. I understand he was in a state of shock supposedly and all, but seemed very strange.

-Anderson's speech was just strange and sounded set up.

-The post interview and the stuff this week all is just strange.

-Does anybody really believe after almost 40 fights that Chris brings something totally new that Anderson has not seen. I realize strong wrestlers are his weakness. I also realize that he has beat many very good wrestlers, with ease. I do believe Chris is good, but heck he really has not fought anyone. Hell he did not even fight up through the ranks like you are supposed to in MMA. Look at most guys (not all) that get a title shot and they really had to work to get that shot, he did not.

The rematch is already set up and will likely be a HUGE selling fight. Does anybody possibly think Anderson will not kill him this time? Since Jon Jones will be fighting around the same time, does this not line up for a super fight next spring? Is this the story of the old seasoned veteran that loses his belt, gets hungry again, and wants to fight Jon Jones after he gets his belt?

It may not, Anderson is a bit crazy and probably is tired, but he has 10 fights left at around $600K-$1 mil so he ain't going nowhere.

Smells a lot like Ali vs Frazier with an mma twist. Is Chris this generation's Matt Sera?

Bottom line for the UFC is that everyone is talking about it and the re-match will be highly publicized. The mma world will not see this loss as tarnishing Anderson's record. They may see it being a waste or being cocky, but it does not discount what he is done and will likely finish doing. The average joe who does not know much about the sport, just saw a cocky champion get knocked out - they sure would like to see that happen again.

On the same card - Frankie, Cub, and Barboza looked fantastic I thought
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-10-2013, 5:22 PM Reply   
I watched the fight over and over and my take is Anderson just got way to cocky and got caught plain and simple. It was obvious that Andersons Stand up was superior as usual so he started doing things we have seen him do in nearly all his fights. Chris Weideman is a great fighter and to say he hasn't fought anyone is not really true.

He fought Damien Meia with only 2 weeks to cut 32 lbs and still beat him. He crushed Mark Munos who was at the top of the food chain before he lost to Chris. IMO I feel if they have the rematch it will be a huge card and the Spider will regain his dominance a top the middle weight division. look all these guys are human no matter how amazing GSP Silva or Jones looks, anything can happen in the octagon. Don't be surprised if we see someone getting a lucky punch in on Jones or Gsp again. One thing I have learned is even our heros lose on occasion. Believe me Silva will be back and this may have even been good for him.

On a side note Silva is either the dumbest guy in the world or was just delusional from getting knocked out. I mean when he said Chris is da best yada yada no I no fight no more for title Im tired...and Rogan says are you retiring? Then he says oh no I have ten fights left WHAT? Dude you make no sense at all. Silvas interpreter (if he even needs one) should just be his spokes person so he doesn't look like a 3rd grader when he talks.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-10-2013, 6:48 PM Reply   
Oh I agree he was overly cocky which ultimately led to this happening which has been ready to happen for awhile, just like GSP is due. The bottom line is he knew Crhis was going to take him down over and over and he prevented him from doing that (except 1) and got him to play his game. Kind of like the Diaz brothers do, but better.

Their rematch will be Late Dec/Early Jan and Silve will smash him - And than may retire or talk about just super fights. Jones easily wins in December setting up a nice fight in the spring.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-11-2013, 10:18 AM Reply   
I don't think it was rigged - his eyes rolling back in his head and the subsequent punches to his face with no response made it clear. In my opinion, Silva is bored - he didn't see Wyman as a legit threat standing up and he got caught with a lucky punch. It happens - Sera is a perfect example. If Silva fights with his heart he would walk through Wyman. I don't know that Meia and Munos are top rate contenders - both have been beat numerous times by people with less skill than Wyman.

The only person who has really beat Silva is Sonnen. He kicked his ass for 24:50. I think Silva is playing a different game than the rest of them - he got bored and cocky and got caught. Superfight with Jones would be much more interesting to me than another match with Wyman which I suspect Silva will walk through him. It is hard to see that fight happening.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-11-2013, 11:16 AM Reply   
Lets dance around and hope my head doesnt get bashed in. Great idea. Smart guy.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-11-2013, 1:03 PM Reply   
Silva just took his antics too far, didn't respect Weidman at all, and to be honest it didn't really look like he needed to. But I want to see Silva vs. Franklin again, where it was just a straight beating for a full round. I get he is a counter puncher, but hell I don't want to pay 50 bucks to see him dance and stick his head out to get knocked out. I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune had he won, but if he's going to lose, I'd like to see someone really take it to him not get the knockout offered to him.

I think everyone gives Sonnen too much credit for that first fight, a juiced Sonnen almost beat an injured Silva.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-12-2013, 10:04 PM Reply   
I disagree with almost all of you. I have watched the fight multiple times and Silva was hurt in that first round. He took some big shots from ground and pound. That is why he was acting crazy and pleading with Wiedman to stand up with him. I think Silva has below average take down defense. Sonnen dominated the first fight and dominated the first round of the second fight then made a stupid mistake. I think silva knew he was in trouble with the take downs and was pleading to try and keep the fight standing.

If a rematch happens Wiedman will win again just this time on the ground.

And for all of you that think silva could beat jones you are on crack.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-13-2013, 2:46 PM Reply   
Mike I watched the replay several times to. While I agree that Silva got tapped a couple times he got hit 100 more times in the SOnnen fight. After he got up from the ground in which Weideman could not keep him there he started making Weideman look bad. The stand up as usual was overwhelmingly going to Silva. Weideman looked like a deer in headlights. Silva got caught by a very nice landed shot to the chin and he went down end of story. While I admire Weideman and think he has amazing skills as an MMA fighter. He doesn't even come close to being the fighter AS is. Weidman will not be the dominant middle weight for 7 years like Silva. If Silva fights again of course it can go any way these guys are at the top of the food chain. To say Weideman would beat him again is just wishful thinking. Unless of course the loss plays with his mind and he just never comes back the same ala Fedor etc.....

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I am glad there is a new champ. I'd like to see things shaken up a bit will GSP be next? Im pulling for George but he has been reigning as long as Silva and I think he is about due for an upset. As far as Jones, Jones is a crazy good fighter on the feet on the ground any where the fights goes. I still don't see Jones stand up as good as Silvas. In fact I think Silva has the best stand up in all of MMA. Decent BJJ and less then great wrestling. If the fight goes to the ground Silva is in big trouble especially against Jones. If it stays on the feet you can pretty much bet that Silva wins any fight.. At least that is my opinion Silva reminds me of a Sugar Ray Leonard., super fast and super accurate and very elusive. Yup he got caught by a very talented Chris Weidman but I wouldn't count on that happening again. But who knows anything is possible right?
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-16-2013, 7:08 AM Reply   
I have to say I have changed my tune, Silva got beat, and what I thought before was pure showboating, I think Mike is right that Silva was essentially pleading with Weidman to keep it standing. The only problem is, Weidman apparently did his homework. I thought this was a great article and shows that it was a lot more than luck, or getting caught.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...illed-the-king
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-14-2015, 3:14 PM Reply   
The last time this thread was bumped Anderson Silva was just getting beat for the first time. How about Connor McGregor. Do you think he is the real deal and will have a good title defense run?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-14-2015, 8:36 PM Reply   
Catching someone w a quick hit doesn't prove anything.

No doubt he's a good fighter, but I hope he doesn't have a long run cuz his antics and idiocy are annoying as &@@$

The UFC has really changed and Dana White is pushing it into a soap opera more and more.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-15-2015, 7:39 AM Reply   
I am a huge MMA/UFC fan and wager almost ever event. While I believe the rematch will be different, there is no doubt that Conor is legit. He is a great elusive striker and is filling the holes in his game. I believe that if he fights Mendes again he will lose. Considering he will either fight Aldo or Edger next, he will have even more time to work on his bottom game. He is young and fast. I do not care for all the antics and negative talk, but it sells fights. There is a very good chance that was the highest selling fight of all time. If not the rematch will be or will be close to Rousey/Holmes 2. I believe that any of those top 5 guys in that division can will the title. He will out box Edger for sure as much as I love Frankie and that is really Frankie's strongest chance.

Take a moment and look back to a few years ago when it was dominated by champions that could never lose. GSP, Jones, Velasquez, Edger, and Aldo. When the champions were so past their competition that it was barely a fight.Today we have all new champs and all of them could be beat by the next guy in line. It is crazy how fast the sport is evolving and how good the kids coming up are. When you see a kid like Northcut come along or the Ultimate Fighter kids, it is crazy because they have all been training in MMA for like 10 years. Not one discipline like the old regime, but complete mma'ers from the start.

I do belive Jones and Rousey are one in a lifetime athletes that are freaks of nature in the athletic prowess, but the rise to stardom and attention they get (similar to Tyson or Woods), is too much to take and ruins their lives. It is true that they must remain true to the their goals and should be able to shelter themselves form the bad stuff, but I can see how easy it is for them to get caught up in the bad stuff. Imagine what their lives are like and the amount of money being thrown at them anyhow easy it would be to get distracted with the movies/red carpet/press stuff. The UFC makes these fighters into such stars (like Rousey/Jones/Rousey) that it is hard for them to block it out and just train. Than when it derails everybody blames the fighters. Like Anderson Silva was saying when he lost that it was just too much pressure and he was happy to finally lose. I do see Rousey coming back and dominating Holmes in the clinch and on the matt. She will not be so cocky as to stand there again. I do see Aldo coming back and being more relaxed. While I will bet on Aldo I am not sure that he can get through Connor now, often as we have seen when the King's lose they just can never reclaim that passion.

It is actually an exciting time as a fan since now the top few fighters in each weight class can actually win the belt. I do agree it is starting to feel Don King'ish, but I am not sure how to stop that as it has risen from nothing to one of the top watched sports so quickly. It is easy to think "let's have Rousey lose' cause the rematch will make a gillion dollars" until you rematch that fight and realized she was out on her feet like 1.5 minutes into the first round. How could you script what happen to aldo - He was stiff as a board and he even landed a solid bunch before going down?. When Anderson lost the last 2 times I was the first saying it was bs, but since then Anderson is pretty much retired. When you watch Rockhold easily beat Weidman even though he did not look very good, you think that the Anderson we remember could easily beat them both. He was far more elusive, WAY faster and hits harder than both of those men, but the sport passed him up.

If any of you caught the Barbossa/Ferguson (155ers) on Friday - Now those are future champs - that was one heck of a fight.
Old     (shredingmonkey)      Join Date: Apr 2015       12-15-2015, 10:44 PM Reply   
UFC always have been my favorite fighting franchise until now. Everything Dana White does is for the money only. Aldo was a champion which wasnt popular on media that means he wont attract any money because of this now he wont get an instant rematch. Conor wants to move to lw because dos Anjos also isnt popular on media and UFC wants him to be gone from title. For example, Khabib Nurmagomedov undefeated in UFC, won against all the titans of lw and still wont get his title shot because its not worth to have a champion which cant attract money as mcgregor can.