Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-13-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
Here are a few of our surfing pictures from the last three weeks. Post some of yours.

New ballast has the swim platform 5 inches under the water line!
Upload

Dean adds to the lean
Upload

Dave on the Goofy Wake
Upload
Upload

Dean riding switch on the regular wake
Upload

Jack riding the Mojo Ya Baby
Upload

Kory switch on a unique knee board
Upload

Kevin said that he'd surf, maybe next time.
Upload

Me, Goofy wake is looking good, but not happy with the regular wake.
Upload
Old     (cp3)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-13-2006, 10:27 PM Reply   
That seems like a small wakesurf wake for the swim platform to be 5 inches below the water line.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-14-2006, 2:14 AM Reply   
how much weight are you holding and where do you have it located?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-14-2006, 6:25 AM Reply   
750 sacks in the rear lockers, 230 lb center tank, 270 lbs home made pop bags, 160 lb of other free weight. The swim platform goes 5 inches deep when both 750s and the center tank are filled.

Here’s my goofy-starboard setup: starboard 750 full, port sack empty to half full, center tank full, free weight along the starboard side, mostly in the bow, wake plate 100% down, and crew of three or four along the starboard side. Compared to last year a noticeably improved goofy-starboard wake.

The regular-port setup is: port 750 full, starboard sack empty, center tank full, free weight along the starboard side, mostly in the bow, wake plate 0% down and crew of three or four along the port side. Compared to last year not much improvement. When I run 12 to 12.5 mph the wake looks awesome, but I can’t keep up, so we dial down to 10 mph. Looking at the attached picture this is about as good as we’ve seen on the regular wake side.

Given the ballast that I have I’m not real happy with the regular-port wake that I’m getting. Not counting crew that should be over 1400 lbs or more of ballast in play. A lot of the better wakes that I’ve seen online seem to be behind larger 23 foot boats, mine is 21.5, also the hull is really an older ski hull with spray pockets and lots of contours, rather than a smooth wakeboard boat hull. The gunnels seem a little low so I don’t think that I feel comfortable adding more ballast.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-14-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
Ed, that isn't a bad looking wake on the port side. If you look at the picture of the guy riding backside labeled "Dean riding switch" it looks as good as any posted in here.

The only thing that looks "weird" to me is that line in the middle of the face. That seems to be where the curl starts also. Is that caused by the hull or the swimdeck?
Old    surfdad            05-14-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
I was just thinking. The "weak" side on my Tige is the starboard side. I simply don't have as much room for ballast, and no doubt there is some aspect of prop rotation that affects that side too. When we pull on that side, I have to turn ever so slightly to that side to clean up the face.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-14-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
The middle wake feature is made either by the swim platform or the spray pockets, I think it’s from the platform. Last season the starboard-goofy wake had a hole in the wake that we were attributing to the swim platform. The hole was a real problem for the goofy stance riders. This year with increased ballast and improved wake the goofy riders haven't been complaining.

Here’s a picture of the starboard-goofy wake curl just after the rider lost the wake. To my eye the curl starts in the upper middle of the wake, I think that’s what Jeff was noting. To me it seems like the curl should start higher.

I saw another post on the Boats and Accessories forum that someone was complaining about small Centurion swim platforms. I'm guessing they’re smaller to help avoid surfwake problems. Actually I think in 06 they started offering larger swim platforms. Seems like bigger swim platforms would cause bigger problems. So now I’m thinking wakesurf boats should have flip-up or fold-over-in-the-middle swim platforms to keep them from damaging surfwakes.

OK enough of my wake problems, let’s post some surfing pictures or should we start a new thread for surf pictures!?

The goofy curl.
Upload
Old     (mudsurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-14-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
Here is a few pics from this week, The wake is almost there, I have 480 lbs of lead 300lbs of factory ballast and 300lb fat sack all in starboard rear locker, I also fill the front ballast 500lbs Its hard to see with the chase boat pics but this wake is big and longUpload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    Johnny Wadd            05-14-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
Here are a few. 05 MB B52 Team Edition. Stock ballast with the driver plus one 13 year old in the back.Upload
Upload
Board More/Work Less!
J$
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-15-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
Shannon
Upload
Upload
Rich(dad)
Upload
Upload
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-15-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
Steve
Upload
Upload
me
Upload
Upload
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-15-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
this is it for now
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            05-15-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
Walzer's? You're killing me! When can we get them at retail? :-)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-15-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
YEP!! That's actually one of the production ready 3/4" boards and it rides insane. (I'm finally happy with the shape). I can't believe how much of a difference moving a few millimeters around on the board makes.

Jeff- If I don't go back down to Cabo this week Walzer and I will be coming up your way for the contest and will be bringing several boards with us.
Old    surfdad            05-15-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
You've GOT to make the contest - what's Cabo compared with Red Bluff? :-) Everyone KNOWS that Red Bluff in May is MUCH better than Cabo!!!!! :-)

The boards look sweet, and you caught some decent air in that one pic.

So...Cabo can WAIT!!!!!!!! :-)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-15-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
Walzer doing a little ocean testing on a 1" prototype from our last trip to Cabo.
Upload
Upload
and this is the 3/4" board Walzer based the model I was riding yesterday on (after 4 rounds of changes)
Upload
Old    surfdad            05-15-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
SEE! You've already done enough testing and playing in the ocean, you need some behind the boat time in Red Bluff and you need ME to get my hands on one too! :-)
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-15-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
Yeah Sean get those things ready I am interested.
Take tons of photos what ever you end up doing.
itch
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-16-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
sean, i've seen surfboards behind the boat, but never a wakesurfboard on the ocean, awsome! is it much harder than a shortboard to paddle?
Old     (shocker)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-16-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
caboo <333
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-16-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
ive tried to paddle in on my phase 5 and i was laying down and threw the rope and was riding the wave but getting up on it was a totally different story. most wakesurf boards aren't bouyant enough to paddle in and stand up on
Old     (lovinpowell)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-17-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
Those pictures look awesome, can you let us know if we can get our hands on one of those boards. I am in the market for a more aggressive handling board than the one that I have now.
Old    walt            05-17-2006, 8:19 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-17-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
Walt, is that behind the Sanger? Regardless, looks nice.....
Old    walt            05-17-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
06 Bu VLX
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-17-2006, 9:37 PM Reply   
That 2nd picture is a joke!! How much weight, speed? Might be helpful for our fellow VLX owners.....
Old    walt            05-18-2006, 4:39 AM Reply   
Bryan,

I'm not sure how much weight it was but it was a lot and I don't think it would take to much more.

The water was a few inches from coming over the side.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-18-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (cp3)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-23-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
This is with like no weight. Just a couple poeple. I will post a better pic later.
Upload
Old     (travis_m)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-24-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
does anyone have that picture of the guy surfing behind two boats wakes?
Old    4sher            05-25-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
Check out the media (action shots) section of www.inlandsurfer.com. The second and third row of pics on the first page show 2 boat surfing (with 2 Centurion Enzos).
Old    surfdad            05-28-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
Dennis riding frontside and backside on the Blue Lake. Upload Upload
Old    surfdad            05-28-2006, 7:15 AM Reply   
Oh no! How did I get on the dark side!!!! :-)Upload
Old    surfdad            05-28-2006, 7:18 AM Reply   
Yes, riding goofy does make your butt look big. :-) Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-28-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
Some pictures from the 27th.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Don't for get to keep your hat dry
Upload

I like the rope toss shot
Upload
Upload
Upload
See the middle feature, that's from the hull extension
Upload
Old    lg925            05-28-2006, 9:23 PM Reply   
Sean Ward - That is some wake you have behind that boat. How the heck did you get that so big? I'm jealous!!
Old    surfdad            05-30-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
Hey Ed, nice pictures, but I can see that feature or lip is still present. Can you surf over it, or is it like a true lip where going above it is hard?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-30-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
Jeff, the middle feature is more present on the goofy side. It doesn’t bother my riding, nor does the swim platform spray. I think it makes the wake curl way too early, so the wake looks a lot worse than it is. I had a really good wake to ride on Memorial Day with just my 14 year old daughter and two of her friends, that’s only about 300 lbs of driver and watcher weight.

I have a couple of other boat/wake tweaks in mind that I’m going to give a shot this month.
Old     (wakesurfer54)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
first run of the yearUpload
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-30-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
2 pics of me and my sister celebrating Memorial Day with the family.
Upload
Shannon(citter)
Upload

(Message edited by caskimmer on May 30, 2006)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-30-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
critter in action(video)
http://www.wakepics.com/img/19150
Old     (chopper515)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-31-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
My first free ride. Memorial Day Weekend at Bull Shoals Lake in Arkansas.
Upload
Upload
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-05-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
took this one of my buddy yesterday. he's about 5'-9".

big