Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-07-2013, 8:17 PM Reply   
So I'm on vacation in Sacramento and I have a half day free tomorrow, I thought about going to wake island but I just saw that it's $50 for a two hour pass, seems a bit high. It includes a beginner board that you're not allowed to hit any kickers on. If it were $40 for two hours I would do it. $50 buys 12- 13 gallons of gas, so I guess I'll just wait till I'm home next week. I was stoked to hit the park, but unless you're buying a day long pass I have a hard time seeing the value.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-07-2013, 8:53 PM Reply   
Buy the "Get Wet" package for $100 and get a full day, 4 hour and 2 hour pass. Then you can use whatever one you want and when you find yourself back in Sac, you can use the others. Also, they recently had a Groupon that was $40 for a full day, see if that is still going on.

The park really is top notch. I'm making the 5 hour drive tomorrow and hope to ride there Sunday/Monday.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-08-2013, 4:10 PM Reply   
Stephen,

I'll be there on Wednesday! You should come back then too.
Old     (robertstone9)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-08-2013, 5:38 PM Reply   
the GET WET deal is great
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-08-2013, 8:48 PM Reply   
Robandrus. You are absolutely right in the prices being too high. The owner has his head up his ass because he is the only cable on the west coast currently. I can't wait for more parks to open up and watch the competition drive prices down to where they should be
Old     (morgan437)      Join Date: May 2013       06-08-2013, 9:18 PM Reply   
I didn't really think the prices were that high, it had to cost a lot to build the place. Then again I don't know the average price to ride a cable...
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-09-2013, 6:38 AM Reply   
Hexagon in NC is 45 for a day pass... I think McCormicks in Tampa FL is around the same.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-09-2013, 9:43 AM Reply   
how far is wake island from palo alto? i'll be out there next month and would like to get some riding in
Old     (Tiffanynfern)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-09-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
http://wakeislandwatersports.com/
that's the website with all of the prices and directions
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-09-2013, 11:28 AM Reply   
Do they have concessions set up yet? I'm pissed I missed that groupon. I just found out that it was available yesterday but the deal ended on 5/27. I'm gonna keep my eye open for anymore Groupons. I'm with Callen though, I've been to OWC and TSR and Wake Island needs to tailer to the rider, not try to make their money back during their first season. Either way, I want to make it there this summer.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-09-2013, 11:05 PM Reply   
This is is the 1st park in CALIFORNIA. Do you know what it took to make it happen? This isn't a state that makes getting things like this done easy. That's why you're not seeing any others in Cali. JUst the insurance alone is likely WAY worse than a state like FL.
Just like everything else things are more expensive here. Suck it up and move on. It's an awesome park and still cheaper than owning/ running a boat.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-10-2013, 12:29 PM Reply   
I don't know why everybody tries to compare apples to apples on their prices. Location is everything. It's not like Wake Island is across the street from Hexagon and you are deciding which one you want to go to and they are $30 difference in price.

It costs less to ride in Thailand. It costs more to ride in Europe or Australia. When I go snowboarding, I have about 6 resorts within 2 hours, and I can pay anywhere from $40 to $100 for a day pass. Why? Better location.. better snow, more snow, more terrain, etc. Yeah it's not exactly the same thing but you get the idea.
Old     (chrisjohnson538)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-10-2013, 3:16 PM Reply   
people beg for cable park in california. "dying" for cable park in california. say they refuse to go because its ten bucks to high.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-10-2013, 4:58 PM Reply   
I just got back from there and loved every second of it. I can't get enough of wake island. I'm so stoked to be able to ride pretty much anytime I want finally.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-10-2013, 7:28 PM Reply   
I went and had a great time. Kinda thought it was set up for goofy riders more then regular but otherwise lots of fun. I was sore as heck afterwards. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-10-2013, 9:21 PM Reply   
just got home. rode yesterday and today and i am SMOKED!!!!! everything hurts.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-10-2013, 11:35 PM Reply   
Got home a couple hours ago. After riding all day yesterday and for a few hours today, I'm pretty beat! Wake Island is an awesome place and everyone was stoked and having fun. There was such a good vibe today, all levels were progressing and cheering each other on. Huge thanks to Noel for making this place a reality.

Mitch, it was good to see you. That finger flip start was cool and you were ripping out there.

David, were you there in the afternoon on Sunday? Its definitely a counter-clockwise cable which kind of sets up better for goofy riders. I'm regular and ride a ton switch there, especially around the corners.

Bryan, were you on the Ronix Covin? I was on the Hype Union in the orange helmet. You were getting after it on the A Frame, good job.

Jason, they had an outside party making food but they are only on the weekends. They have their beers taps set up and pouring, and the soda machine was installed. They had no issue with us bringing a small cooler and snacks etc.

Last edited by stephan; 06-10-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-11-2013, 8:26 AM Reply   
I was there a couple weeks ago. Haven't been able to get back. Between gas and the pass its almost cheaper to take the boat out for me. Lol. Its a 90 minute drive.

Oh and what i meant by set up for goofy riders was that most of the rails i liked were on my right so it is a toe side approach slightly more difficult to engage. The hardest thing for me was getting used to edging going so slow, I'm used to riding at like 23-25 mph and the cable is going like 19. I felt like i was plowing alot.
Old     (Tiffanynfern)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-11-2013, 8:34 AM Reply   
they don't have concessions up yet but are working on it. they do have important things up, pro shop starting to come together and the have beer on tap. they got a new transfer box up in the park and they have specials for the ladies for this month. girls get two hours for the price of one every Tuesday for june. they should be getting concessions up soon. as for getting the park up in California, it took lots and lots of permits and inspections to get it running.
Old     (Tiffanynfern)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-11-2013, 8:37 AM Reply   
I cant disclose exactly what it took because that is up to the owner, Noel Carter, to release to whom ever he wishes to share that information with.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-11-2013, 9:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by detonate69 View Post
I was there a couple weeks ago. Haven't been able to get back. Between gas and the pass its almost cheaper to take the boat out for me. Lol. Its a 90 minute drive.

Oh and what i meant by set up for goofy riders was that most of the rails i liked were on my right so it is a toe side approach slightly more difficult to engage. The hardest thing for me was getting used to edging going so slow, I'm used to riding at like 23-25 mph and the cable is going like 19. I felt like i was plowing alot.
Yeah, I understand the drive. I came up from San Luis Obispo last weekend and this past weekend. Of the next three weekends, I will likely find myself there two of them. My fiancé is from Yuba City and we have been making the trek frequently this month.

Having a quicker board definitely helps the slow feeling. I know what you mean about the toeside approach, railing into the kicker on your toes is a little hair raising.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-11-2013, 9:53 AM Reply   
stephan, yah that was me thanks bro, i remember you for sure!!!! gotta say what up next time!! i think you were talking to my wife jenna for a bit. on the way home she was telling me she was talking to some people that were from san luis paso robles area. we have been stoked because her mom lives in west sac and we have been able to get up there the past few weeks and have a place to crash. were going to take advantage of it for another year until her mom retires and she moves back here to santa cruz.

callen and shehan, come on guys i hear ya but lets just go slay some f-ing rails......s--t i'll drive, lets do this!!!!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-11-2013, 10:52 AM Reply   
Bryan, yeah I didn't know it was you. Your wife was saying that you guys had made the trip for the weekend. Pretty excellent getaway in my opinion! I'm pretty happy even having the place 5 hours away, cable riding is so much fun!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-11-2013, 1:34 PM Reply   
I don't know why everybody tries to compare apples to apples on their prices. Location is everything. It's not like Wake Island is across the street from Hexagon and you are deciding which one you want to go to and they are $30 difference in price.

The end of summer there will be one about 15 minutes away from Wake Island then you will have choices based on prices and obstacles in the lake. Until then Noel has a monopoly on the Cable business in Northern California. I think the prices are fine for now, only because it's the only one, once there are more in Northern CA I will go to wherever has the better obstacles.

FYI the new cable opening up is a counter clockwise cable with UNIT rails, who knows what the prices will be.

Last edited by steezyshots; 06-11-2013 at 1:39 PM. Reason: ...
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-11-2013, 1:46 PM Reply   
There's another full size opening in Sac? I heard about Wake Compound but that's a few hours away.. so there will be 3 full size in CA by the end of the year?

Any info on this other new cable?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-11-2013, 1:52 PM Reply   
It's opening in Woodland, end of Summer I heard
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-11-2013, 1:53 PM Reply   
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Veloc...034001?sk=info
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-11-2013, 1:56 PM Reply   
http://www.dailydemocrat.com/ci_2255...dwide-woodland
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-11-2013, 1:58 PM Reply   
Ahh I had heard of Velocity but didn't know it was a 100% go yet. That's awesome. Sounds like a great Cali road trip
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-11-2013, 3:47 PM Reply   
riley, what is a unit rail?
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-11-2013, 5:48 PM Reply   
I'll believe Woodland when I actually get my 1st lap around............lots of wishing, waiting and hoping for other parks to open. Especially in SoCal.
westsiderippa. Unit generally make the best features in the game: http://www.unit-parktech.com
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-11-2013, 6:58 PM Reply   
ah gotcha its a company then that makes the obstacles. i was thinking it was a form of construction or something, thanks.

here's a little video from yesterday. im not an editor so no comments needed, just for fun and i'll learn some day.

its me, squirrel, joel and ryan.

this place is so f-ing fun!!!!!!!

Last edited by westsiderippa; 06-11-2013 at 7:00 PM. Reason: fix
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-11-2013, 7:32 PM Reply   
I know they are doing work at the Woodland site.
Been some excavating equipment and tractors out there the last week.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-13-2013, 10:04 AM Reply   
Looks like I'll be heading back on Saturday. Anyone going to be out there? It will be an early morning, but hoping to roll in right at opening.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-14-2013, 9:00 PM Reply   
How crowded has it been? I've been thinking of rolling up there next Friday and checking it out. How early would u recommend getting there? I've never been on a cable, been behind the boat for like 10 years...what should I expect? Is it a lot different?
Old     (zj152)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-14-2013, 10:40 PM Reply   
Every time I have gone on a Friday it hasn't been crowded at all. You should be good when ever you go. The wind definitely seams to pick up later in the day. The pull is a lot different then a boat but you should have no problem, just takes some time to get use to.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-17-2013, 2:15 PM Reply   
FYI prices are higher Friday Saturday and Sunday, $50.00 for 2 hours. You might be better off during the week in the eve.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-17-2013, 5:08 PM Reply   
I've been there the past three weekends and have now ridden on a Saturday, a Sunday and a Monday. According to the people there, some days are more crowded than others and it might just randomly be a Tuesday, just depends on the week. I got there about 11a this past Saturday, used my 4 hour pass (from the Get Wet package) and chilled out until 1p. It was a little crowded but I decided to start riding and went til 5p. I never waited more that 3 minutes and at about 3p, there was no one on the lake. Butter solo sets are the best!

The flat box is getting repaired but every other obstacle is in. The A-frame got an extension to the transfer box and it is super fun.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-17-2013, 6:53 PM Reply   
I've never hit a kicker either! Any advice as to how I should approach it?
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-17-2013, 9:02 PM Reply   
If any one can update us when the flate box is back in let us know.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-17-2013, 9:08 PM Reply   
Nick- when your getting pulled just do a nice constant edge to the kicker and begin to flatten off when your just about get on it. Even if your on a little edge when you get on it will make your board flatten out
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-17-2013, 10:31 PM Reply   
I was there Sunday and they said the flat box shouldve been back in today???
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-18-2013, 1:29 PM Reply   
Thanks bam! Should I ride finless? Will the obstacles tear up my fins?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-18-2013, 1:33 PM Reply   
I think your fins will tear up the obstacles.

The speed is slow, so you get plenty of traction without fins.

Treat the kicker like it's made of ice. If you're not flattened off, the board is coming out from under you.....fast.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-18-2013, 2:03 PM Reply   
yes i would ride finless, i have a friend that has molded in fins and they hold up pretty good that was on a last years LF witness non grind base.
But my other friend has a board from maybe 2004 and its not holding up well, but thats mainly occured when he hit the box or other rails and fell on them, which just put chips to the fiberglass(fins and edges) and began to tear up the bottom aswell, it was hyperlite don't remember the model.

my friend's witness is holding up better than LF press(08) im borrowing and the press is made for the cable lol. but i also rode this 97' cobe wakeboard one time when i didn't have the press with me and that held up better than the lf press/just as good as the witness.

It depends on the fins i guess ronix ramp,plastic hyperlite,cwb etc. fins will be fine(ive never ridden fins on sliders before so i don't know but ive seen some people use them), but just about everyone there doesn't use fins. it will help keep the board flatter and help you out on presses and boardslides. also they don't allow metal fins.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-18-2013, 2:09 PM Reply   
i think your slingshot fins will be ok. it wont be to hard its just like hitting snowboard flat boxes.

but ya what J-Rod said is on the money
Old     (chrisjohnson538)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-18-2013, 4:30 PM Reply   
hold your edge into kickers. dont be a girl
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-21-2013, 3:43 PM Reply   
Just got back from wake island and I had helllla fun! Although I got tossed on my first attempts at the kicker, I started getting a hang of it. I would recommend to start in the smaller kickers just to get a feel if you've never done it. Also hit my first rail and it was addicting, finally having the opportu it's to try these things is awesome to me! Although I probably looked like a retard out there getting booted and thrown off balance on the kickers I had a blast and can't wait to go back.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2013, 12:16 AM Reply   
Glad to see lots of the same familiar names still on WW, as I can't remember the last time I was on here. I've been staying on the water, staying in shape, but just not wakeboarding too much, unfortunately.
Been itching to go check out this cable ever since I heard about it, will prob check it out this weekend.
My question is this:
Since I don't have a board with a slider base, how bad do you think it will tear up my board if I just take the fins off one of my old boards and ride 2 hours on the cable? I would prefer to take a board that I'm dialed in on, but don't want to ruin one. Alternately, I have a LF Trip that is all beat up, so I could use that one and not care about any further damage, but I never really liked the Trip that much behind the boat since I'm more of a 3-stage guy.
Thanks for any help. I know there are a great many smart and informed people on here, and even that many more who just enjoy expressing their opinions, so I'm hoping you all can provide some valid intel.
If I like the cable, then I'll prob just go buy a current slider board with sintered base or whatever. But for now, it probably won't go over too well with the wife if I buy a new board before I even ride the cable at least once.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-16-2013, 9:38 AM Reply   
You will trip out when you see some of the old school boards out there....lol

I took an old Demented out there and it held up fine for 1 day.
I ride a Vibe there but had the demented for a friend, It felt like I hit the brakes everytime I hit a slider with the Demented....A slider base makes a noticable difference in speed on the sliders to me anyway.

You can always use one of there free boards with sandel bindings...lol
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2013, 5:40 PM Reply   
Thanks, Jeff.
I might just take a few boards out there and decide on the spot. Unfortunately most of my beater boards are in Atlanta right now except the Trip. Good point about the resistance on the sliders.
Anybody else with opinions about amount of damage to be expected from 2 hours at Wake Island? When I've hit jibs before, the extent of damage is largely a function of the type/quality of structures being hit, but I don't know what it is like at wake Island.
Any more opinions of advice much appreciated. Such a quiet bunch today!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2013, 5:43 PM Reply   
what about waxing the base of an old school board?
opinions?
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-16-2013, 6:06 PM Reply   
One thing that could make a difference is the spine on your board.
The Vibe is flat so it slides flat....If you have a board with a large center spine it will teeter or rock on the rails. Did that make sense??
It is fun.....the start gives ppl the most trouble at first. It pulls you at 19 mph I think it is?
If you can dock start you will be golden.
2 hrs is perfect for your first time if its slow, your hands and arms will be worked...lol
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-16-2013, 8:21 PM Reply   
Doc with their rails your board will get some scratches in it but it shouldn't ruin it.

Just take the fins off of whatever you choose and you'll be fine
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-18-2013, 10:04 AM Reply   
Anyone going tomorrow morning?
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-18-2013, 12:58 PM Reply   
J~Rod you plan on getting there right when they open?
If I can find a sitter I got a groupon I need to use.....
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-18-2013, 3:33 PM Reply   
Yes.

The West Coast Camps crew will be there too. BG, Conor, and Mike.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-18-2013, 4:25 PM Reply   
I'm rolling out on Saturday morning
Old    sperbet            07-24-2013, 10:48 AM Reply   
Just went for the first time yesterday. Super fun. If you haven't been yet you need to go.