Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-22-2012, 2:08 PM Reply   
I am headed to San Francisco for a conference the last part of Aug and my wife is coming along for a few days of site seeing. She will be about 7 months pregnant during the trip, so please keep that in mind when suggesting things to do. We will have two full days to see the sites.

What are the must see and things to do? Suggestions for meals. We are staying near Union square.

Thanks!
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-22-2012, 2:26 PM Reply   
What kinds of food do you/don't you like/eat?
Will you have a car?
Happy to show you guys around one day, shoot a PM if you like. It's a great city!
Old    deltahoosier            07-22-2012, 3:03 PM Reply   
Bring warm clothes. You will freeze.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-22-2012, 10:31 PM Reply   
Walk all around union square area and shop.
Walk around the"marina" - chestnut st and union st- best to do the marina around brunch/lunch time.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-23-2012, 2:06 PM Reply   
August in SF could go either way. It can be foggy and 55 degrees, or you may get the rare 75 degree day. You have to pack for anything there.

If you like French food, my favorite place right now is Chez Spencer, which is South of Market.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-24-2012, 7:57 AM Reply   
If you like a no-frills steakhouse... try Izzy's. We went there a few years ago on the suggestion of another WW member and we LOVE it.
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-24-2012, 11:57 AM Reply   
Lots of great things to do in the city. You can rent a GoCar, do a Duck tour, hit up Alcatraz, etc. The Ferry building is cool. Lots of great little food places there. Chris Cosentino has a Salumeria there. They also have a farmers market there that is cool to cruise around.

Also, Bobos is probably the best steak that I have had in the city: http://www.boboquivaris.com/
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-26-2012, 8:48 AM Reply   
X 2 on the ferry building. That place is cool. Not far from there is a place called The Water Bar. I can't recommend it enough. You can sit inside or out and have awesome views of the bay bridge, Treasure Island and the bay. They have good oysters and seafood if you're into that. They have more than seafood too if you're not. I've been there a few times. My brother was recently in the city for a couple days with his wife (they're foodies) and said that The Water Bar was the best place they went to in those two days. FWIW. Have fun.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-26-2012, 8:56 AM Reply   
Limon Rotosserie in the mission is great
Kiss Seafood is awesome if you like Japanese. Need a reservation and the omakase is 69pp I think
If you like ice cream you need to try Smitten. Nothing else like it
Burma Superstar for Burmese food
San Tung for the best chicken wings ever. Also good shrimp n leek dumplings
Arizmendi pizza if you are in town on the day they do their triple mushroom
The House in north beach is another favorite. Seafood/fusion
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-26-2012, 12:35 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the great advice and sorry for the late reply getting back. Wes I will PM you, it would be great to meet up with someone from the area.
Old     (beerguy)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-26-2012, 12:39 PM Reply   
I'd also recommend one of the Hop On Hop Off bus tours. Sometimes the narration can be pretty cheesy but it's a great way to see lots of the city in a short time. Once you've made it around the loops you can go back to places that you thought were interesting and spend more time. It's also a pretty good way to get around without having to rent a car. Look for discount coupons before you come. They all park right at Union Square so should be really convenient for you.

Pat

Last edited by beerguy; 07-26-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-27-2012, 7:03 AM Reply   
Red's Java House!

Its tiny, a bit dirty, and has awesome burgers.... right under the bay bridge
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-27-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
Other idea when I've visiting the city with those who haven't
All of my dad's family lives in the Bay area so when I visit with those who have never been the usual places are (all fairly touristy):

Hwy 1 - drive up/down to things from the hang gliders, to surfers, to lunch at cliff house or something

Golden Gate park is really nice - the Chinese pavilion / moon bridge / gardens are maybe worth seeing

Golden Gate Bridge / Presdio

Alcatraz

Lombard street

Cable Cars

Height - Ashbury .... quite possibly the best people watching area in the world.

.... I love the city and wouldn't mind moving there, but it is effin' expensive.