Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-14-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
I am having trouble passing the handle on 360s. I am rotating just fine and landing it no prolbem, but when i try to pass the handle I end up with my arm fully extended and I can't pull the rope in to the small of my back. Any help would be appriciated.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       01-14-2006, 9:46 PM Reply   
Pull the handle past you hip to the small of your back when you leave the wake, this will initiate rotation and the handle will be ready to grab.

I'm no expert, but this worked in progressing a lot of the spins I'm attempting and still struggling to land with consistency. Almost there. Oh and buy a helmet!
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-28-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
I have been having the same type of problems while trying to learn handle passes--arm ends up extended and can't pull the rope in.

why a helmet? do a lot of people use one for 360's and other spins?
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-29-2006, 12:58 AM Reply   
Tracy, if you catch an edge on a 3 you will know why to buy a helmet.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-04-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
thanks for the helmet tip--haven't started trying 3's yet but hoping to soon and sounds like a good idea!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-06-2006, 7:36 AM Reply   
Try and launch off the wake towards the boat. Make your progressive edge towards the wake. Keep an edge on the board with your heels, but move your weight forward and over the board. Launch towards the boat working on getting vertical pop. Throw the spin after you leave the wake. This should reduce the tension
Old                02-07-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
When you leave the wake you need to pull your handle to your trailing hip. This will get it into the small of your back so that you can reach around and grab it. The reason your arm is way it is because you are concentrating more on the spin rather than the handle pass. If you just pull the handle in the spin will come.
Old                02-15-2006, 6:42 AM Reply   
Yo, mabye if you guys are having trouble getting the handle try leaving the wake with your elbows locked into your hips. this should help you grab the handle. Leaving the wake with the handle close to your body results in a smaller distance to pull the handle. if you leave the wake with your arms extended you have to pull the handle a long way to get it into your back.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-15-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
All good tips- I had trouble with it for 2 years!!!! I was edging way too hard and not going flat enough at the wake. Set up way out and drift into the wake- stay really centered on the board and give the handle a pull right as you take off. Keep you EYES ON THE BOAT as long as you can - this will help you stay on axis and not load the rope. Finally, DON'T let go of the handle until you've got it in your other hand. It's really easy to chicken out and let go only to find yourself coasting easily away from the wake having made the 3- been there, done that 1000000 times! Another tip is to try the 3 in the flats - if you can make it there, take it to the wake- and BUY A HELMET!!!! Catching an edge and crashing in a 3 is THE MOST PAINFUL thing you'll do- way worse than tantrums, rolls, or anything.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-15-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
All good tips- I had trouble with it for 2 years!!!! I was edging way too hard and not going flat enough at the wake. Set up way out and drift into the wake- stay really centered on the board and give the handle a pull right as you take off. Keep you EYES ON THE BOAT as long as you can - this will help you stay on axis and not load the rope. Finally, DON'T let go of the handle until you've got it in your other hand. It's really easy to chicken out and let go only to find yourself coasting easily away from the wake having made the 3- been there, done that 1000000 times! Another tip is to try the 3 in the flats - if you can make it there, take it to the wake- and BUY A HELMET!!!! Catching an edge and crashing in a 3 is THE MOST PAINFUL thing you'll do- way worse than tantrums, rolls, or anything.
Old     (keenan)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-15-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the help.
Old                02-21-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
wow.. i guess i'v been lucky. i'v been doing heelside and toeside 360"s for several years. i have never had a hard fall where i thought i needed a helmet. even during the learning phase. i just try to think pop/pull/pass and the worst thing that has happened is missing the handle.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-21-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
You are lucky Markster- I've had two concussions without the helmet a few years back- both trying to spin - maybe I just suck!
Old                02-21-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
will, when i learned them... i slowed the boat down to about 15 m.p.h. and spun them on the water. i think that makes all the difference. that way the muscle memory is grooved before you ever hit the wake.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       02-21-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
I'm with you markster, I've had much worse crashes on hs bs 180's then I ever have on 360's (or 540's for that matter). I've never had a wreck period that I thought a helmet would have made a difference. I am more worried about blowing an eardrum than rocking my skull.

As far as handle passes, really concentrate on (like markster said) Pop...Pull...Pass, one step at a time. I found that tramopline help was the biggest contributer to my consistency on handle passes.

-Steve
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-03-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
Yeah - I should have done that when I was leaning the move- I can get the 360 now- most of the time- and when I do crash, it's no where near as painful. I still won't ride without the helmet- I like going to work on MOnday and remembering where to go..
Old     (socalf150rider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-14-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
i never used a helmet but one time i had a freak accident where the board came off when i fell on a 3, it ended up hitting me in the head and spliting my head open. blood went all over the place all in the boat...everywhere. i ended up with a couple of stiches. but now i never ride with our a helmet