Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-14-2008, 12:07 PM Reply   
This spring I installed inline mufflers to quite my side swipe. There was a considerable loss of performance so I removed them. I thought that just pointing the noise backwards would help. So this week I built a quick and dirty test setup. I used a toilet flange, a threaded insert and a down spout elbow.

I removed the last portion on one end of the elbow. The inside diameter toilet flange was a little small. I used a grinding wheel to open it up a bit to match the down spout. The non-threaded part of the threaded flange fit both the elbow. I cut off the threaded section leaving a simple ring. The ring mates the toilet flange to the elbow.

I mounted the flange to my Side Swipe bracket and then glued the elbow in place.

The parts
Upload

Removing the threaded section
Upload

Opening up the toilet flange
Upload

The ring now fits the flange
Upload

Trimming back one side of the elbow
Upload

All of the modified parts
Upload

Check fit
Upload

Gluing the ring to the flange
Upload

Mounted ring and flange
Upload
Upload

Now with the elbow
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-14-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
Now for the bad news... It's louder on the side with my attachment than the other side. Go figure?
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-14-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
Nice idea, too bad it didnt work

(Message edited by element8456 on September 14, 2008)
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-14-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
How bout a pipe connected to that going into the water a couple of inches,shaped like the FAE downpipe?
Old     (somebodyelse5)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-14-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
why is the loud such an issue?

it doesnt sound like one of the cigarette boats does it? with the real agressive cams?

what if you got a flow through muffler for a truck exhaust, chopped it in 1/3 and rigged it up on the inside. know what i mean?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-14-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
I'm used to FAE, that's nice and quite.

The rumble is cool for about 5 minutes then it gets old for me. Younger folks seem to like it.

I had in-line mufflers but removed them.
Old     (somebodyelse5)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-14-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
haha i am one of those younger folk lol. I like em loud! my truck has a 5" exhaust on it with no cat and a flow through muffler i can put my arm through Boy do i love noise...thats why my boats pulled with a LOUD diesel haha
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-14-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
Don't get me wrong. I think Side Swipe is an excellent safety innovation. The good folks at Centurion should be applauded. It's just not the right solution for me.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
I think on a wakeboard boat it would get annoying but I effin love noise too. We have 2 donzi's one with a 350 and other with a 502 and a 69 chevy w/ a 502 and custom exhaust, its sooo loudd!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2008, 10:12 PM Reply   
Show, can't you plug the holes and re-rig the exhaust to come out the back? are there holes in the back already? or would you have to cut? I know what you mean, FAE is the way to go.
Old     (sotx)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-15-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
I am no engineer, but I have often thought that it would be simple for the manufacturer to run the exhaust out of the bottom of the boat in the back instead of out of the transom. have the exhaust be flush mount and at an angle you could even have flush mount flaps over the exit holes.
But what do I know, I just cut concrete for a living.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-15-2008, 4:37 PM Reply   
Cold Beer, I am an engineer and we think alike.

Anthony, while anything is possible porting out the back would require a fairly extensive modification. My experiment cost about $20 and didn't permanently alter the boat. That's about as far as I'm willing to go.

I think it would be best for resale value to not make a really peculiar boat modification.
Upload
Old     (sotx)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-16-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
Why do you think the manufacturers don't do this?

If they did would this be admiting that there is a problem with the current configuration ie. pending lawsuits for teak draging ect.?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-16-2008, 5:15 PM Reply   
I think that catalytic converters are going to be the way for most boats. I still prefer FAE, it's really quite.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-17-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
yea I dont like to drill holes in fiberglass either. And also wouldn't want to spend big bucks on a project of that sort. Keep working on ideas, you could become rich if you find a solution.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-17-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
Cant be good when you've got to try toilet mounting parts on your boat!!! Talk about desperate! LOL
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-17-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
Have Larry make you the biggest FAE ever! I read that larger-engine boats w/o cat emit as much CO2 as many many cars. I wish I had cat. Surfing would be fume free! I am installing my FAE any day.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-17-2008, 5:20 PM Reply   
This was a proof of concept experiment. If this idea had worked I would have done something with a bit more polish or I would have invited Larry to do something along those lines.