Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-09-2003, 9:11 AM Reply   
We tow our X-2 with an Explorer. (Yes, I know. And no, buying a Super Duty something is unfortunately not an option at the moment).

I am looking into options to make it sag less / tow better.

Was wondering if anyone had experience with air bag leveling kits and if they work well? Are they a better alternative then helper springs, or whatever other options there are?

Thanks.

Found these from a company called Air Lift:

Old    swpmwinc            04-09-2003, 9:33 AM Reply   
I have them on my super duty they work great we
took off the overload springs and it rides great
we put a 10' cab over camper and tow the boat it uses about 65lbs of air and it sits like it's empty

Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-09-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
Air bags will work very well for you but there are a few concerns. They will make the vehicle ride stiffer when filled, not too bad but be aware. Do NOT drive with them empty, you will damage them, a few psi is all you need. We install quite a few of them here at the shop for our customers who purchase a slide in camper for their pick up truck. I really like the Firestone bags, they seem to have more listings for vehicles. I would personally just purchase the "manual" bags to save some money over the on-board compressors. Install is real easy if your handy with tools, drop me a line off list if you need any help.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-09-2003, 9:39 AM Reply   
i use those timbrens and they work great.
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-09-2003, 10:53 AM Reply   
I installed them on a 95 Grand Cherokee. They made a huge difference while towing. The best benefits: (1) I could level the truck which increased straight-line stability at fwy speeds, (2) reduced rear-end bouncing up and down while towing. Well worth it.

I didn't have the on-board compressor, but I probably would have added it if the truck hadn't been stolen. Nevertheless, pumping up manually is no big deal.

You have to keep a little air in them even when not towing, but the amount is so small that I didn't notice any impact on the ride.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-09-2003, 11:21 AM Reply   
I have them on a 98 Dodge Dakota really helped while towing no squat in the rear. still rides great while towing when not towing I leave 5 psi in them and can't tell there even there.
Old    swpmwinc            04-09-2003, 11:52 AM Reply   
Carl- why is it that when empty you can damage the bags I allways run mine with 5lbs because thats what the instructions said to do. just wondering?
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-09-2003, 11:58 AM Reply   
I have a 03 Envoy, I bought a set of the Air Lift 1000 bags, they go inside the rear springs along with the onboard compressor and low pressure auto switch to maintain a min of 5 psi. They work really really well! Keeps the truck sitting level when the boat is hooked up and the truck is loaded with stuff for the lake. I bought them from www.summitracing.com complete after shipping and everything it was just under $200. Well worth it.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-09-2003, 12:21 PM Reply   
I have dual airbags in the cab of my F150 SuperCrew.....haven't used them yet though?
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-09-2003, 12:36 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input.

Sean, would they need to be partially inflated to avoid them from doing this and wearing out? (Pic from installation manual)

Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-09-2003, 12:56 PM Reply   
Yes, they must have a minimal amt of air in them otherwise they will collapse & rub together destroying the bags. Similar to riding on a flat tire. I was told this by a Firestone rep so I would tend to believe him.
Old    swpmwinc            04-09-2003, 1:01 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Carl.As you can see from the pix of mine the are quite worn but yet no problems 125000 miles so far they have been on for 4 years now
Old    wantboatnow            04-09-2003, 6:56 PM Reply   
I just got a full airbaged rear suspension for a Chevy Tahoe and it seems to be good so far. Havent towed with it yet, but will this weekend. The best part of my kit is there are no gauges, its fully self leveling.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-11-2003, 9:14 AM Reply   
I have the same set up as Sean Wieland above. I have them on a '96 Z71, manual fill up (which I like). But the question is....does anyone know the max PSI? I usually keep them filled up until they are stiff....The truck actually rides better like that and gives it a cool stance. But I don't want to over inflate them and cause damage.....so does anyone know the max PSI
Old    swass            04-11-2003, 9:26 AM Reply   
"(Yes, I know. And no, buying a Super Duty something is unfortunately not an option at the moment)."

Dang...are we THAT predictable???
Old    sandman            04-11-2003, 10:03 AM Reply   
I have a set of Air Lift "Slam Air" bags on my 1/2 ton Silverado. They have made all the difference in the world. I also installed an on-board compressor and pressure guage. I run ~20lbs unloaded and about ~65lbs with my boat on the back. Best $350 I have spent.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-11-2003, 10:37 AM Reply   
Thanks again for all the info. Sounds like they are well worth the money.

NAW, why do you prefer the manual ones, less that can go wrong?

Swass, notice also that I didn't specify which engine is in the Explorer, for fear of being banned from the board due to not meeting the required torque standards
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-11-2003, 11:08 AM Reply   
Yep, that's exactly why I like the manual set up. Just personal preference.
Old    6more            04-11-2003, 1:58 PM Reply   
Swass - yes we are that predictable :-)
Old    butterboardwear            04-11-2003, 3:04 PM Reply   
We use alot of bags in my buddies car club.

WWW.PLAESURESONLINE.COM
Old    butterboardwear            04-11-2003, 3:05 PM Reply   
IM SORRY THAT WOULD BE

WWW.PLEASURESONLINE.COM

(Message edited by BUTTERBOARDWEAR on April 11, 2003)

(Message edited by BUTTERBOARDWEAR on April 11, 2003)