Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (makisupa_pj)      Join Date: May 2008       05-17-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
Man...I grew up playing music and anyone who has not heard a live Phish show is missing out!!! I am a teacher and here is my lesson for the weekend....listen to some live Phish or any other jam band that can play music on the spot...and if you are wondering why I am posting this in a wakeboard thread....look at Eric Ruck's board from last year....they were all ticket stubs from live jambands that he was at...we all save our stubs...that is how insane these bands are...GET OUT AND SEE LIVE MUSIC...not some band that plays the same setlist everynight....that is all....
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-17-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
hmmmmm, not so much into jam bands, just not feelin it. Hippie!
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-17-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
...but your name is cosmocat.

Got irony?
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-17-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
Yeah, I know,I'm just bored and felt like bein a jerk at the moment. It's only because I had to work and could not go boarding today.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-17-2008, 11:34 PM Reply   
ive seen phish 3 times and widespread panic twice. everybody gets mad at me, but i like widespread a whole lot better. phish gets to bluegrass and folk-like for me and widespread is a little heavier.

i saw phish in nashville once and rickey skaggs and a few other country stars got onstage and jammed with them. that one was definitely too bluegrass.

tool is the ultimate (heavy metal) jam band though.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-17-2008, 11:36 PM Reply   
but..... i would rather see dj icey any day over all of them. i am going to see dieselboy in 2 weeks.
Old     (airwaker)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-18-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
i fully support this thread! going to see WSP at red rocks next month.
Old     (dmac)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-18-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
Phish is badass, wish I could have seen them in a concert.

saw Dave and WSP at Red Rocks, best venue I've ever been to.

but you guys are leaving out some heavys too,
Gov't Mule, Disco Biscuits, Big Head Todd and String Cheese to name a few
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-18-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
I like how PJ notices a board graphic from last year (which I bought because I went to half of those) and used it to preach... PJ whats your initiative?? Fla Southern now Phish????
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-18-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
i've seen g. love and special sauce a few times too, their tickets are on the bottom of the era also. cool group and still love the classic blues-rap of his first album.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-19-2008, 5:23 AM Reply   
Phish is one of my all time favorite bands. I've seen them a few times and listened to many hours of live boots. I'm from GA so I am really into Widespread Panic and have been to around thirty shows, some as far away as Colorado. They kill it live and the energy of the crowd is typically insane.
Also, ditto on all the bands that dylan/dmac mentioned. String Cheese Incident are also great live.
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-19-2008, 8:14 AM Reply   
Hey, Makisupa policeman
Policeman came to my house
Hey, Makisupa policeman
Policeman came to my house

Woke up this morning

Smoke a little herb
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-19-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
was anyone at Big Cypress?
Old     (makisupa_pj)      Join Date: May 2008       05-19-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
Makisupa is my favorite song...All of you need to look up the Breakfast...they are out of Ct...they are the next big band in my eyes... join www.thebreakfast.info you can download shows for free....INSANE PLAYING...peace, PJ
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-20-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
"they were all ticket stubs from live jambands that he was at"

Social Distortion was one of the stubs on his board as well. they are definitely not a "jamband".

I saw this bumper sticker on a VW van several years ago. thought it was the greatest sticker ever:
"Jerry's dead, Phish sucks. Now go get a job!"
Old     (mellowman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-20-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
lol...the jamband fans always seem to think that original innovative music is their sole-domain. I'll take a jazz band any day over any of these jambands laying down the same contrieved licks over and over again. Yes, I've seen Phish, just more of the same that's already been done, over and over and over again.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-20-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
i liked phish when they used to be called the grateful dead.. ha. thank you jerry..
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-20-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
I liked Eric Ruck's board graphics from a few years back that had stubs from lots of cool shows including Phish, String Cheese, Primus and maybe even Social D. was on there. I thought it was a killer graphic for the bottom of the board.
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-20-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
Great thread. Phish, WSP, String Cheese I love them all. Jam bands rock. I almost bought the 07 era, just to have, gotta love that bottom graphic.
Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-20-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
I don't care for the Cubs Ticket. Other than that I'm happy with it.
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-20-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
train, you must love your job! I'm proud of you! Maybe those pro wakeboarders should get a job too, Screw them for havin fun and living on the road.

Mellow, I will agree that "jamband" groupies think their poop don't stink, but any good "jamband" musician will tell you that they are just playing what they've heard. Believe it or not, as cocky as Trey seems, he'd be the first to tell you he's a jazz nut, and pulls his inspiration from it plenty of other music. There's no such thing as creation.

ManFox, you can't be serious. Have you ever listened to phish? Obviously not without that holier than though deadhead attitude.

Always a few a haters lurkin.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-20-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
sorry. I just am not into hippie music. or hippies. or patchuli oil. or Phish.
I was just making a correction of a false statement, and commenting on a funny sticker I saw.
jeesh. some people take their music too serious. I thought hippies were happy folk!
Old     (rcogrady)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-20-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
2 night summer show in Columbus in 99, craziest show I've ever seen. Better than Bonaroo in 01 where Widespread headlined. This isn't the type of music that I generally listen to wakeboarding though. What about Ben Harper, not as much a jam band but unique in every show and he has some songs that do make my boat playlist.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-20-2008, 4:20 PM Reply   
ahhhahaha.. looser you crack me up.. hilarious!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-20-2008, 5:48 PM Reply   
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/01/30/40-indie-music/

I'd say this pretty much sums up Phish and other related bands. Ahhh yes, our whiteness drives us.

Phish has some decent tunes, I much prefer Ben Harper.
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-20-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
Listen to Slightly Stoopid
Alan I was at that Phish show in Nash Vegas
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-20-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
now your talking my language Alex. throw some expendables in there and its on. but i wouldnt know a thing about those two bands.
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
WSP definitely one of my favorite bands.

Funny quick story: ( a few years before my time)
On there way up the food chain Widespread played my fraternity house. The band room was only about half full with most of the people out back drinking. No one had ever heard of them. A few months later they ink a deal and come out with Space Wrangler.

I did get a hand-me-down tee shirt from the party though, I think it was 88, 89 somewhere around then.

Kinda wish i had been there but been to many Phish, and WSP shows and as fun as they were they don't hold a candle to a Dead Show.
Old     (dmac)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-20-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
John Butler, Umphrey's McGee, My Morning Jacket (recently played on SNL, and I was pretty surprised, not a bad sound.) Tea Leaf Green..

Warren Haynes is a brilliant guitar player.

Ben Harper is good as well..
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-21-2008, 6:56 PM Reply   
Been to about 20 Phish shows and love the band and music, but still love this one --

"What did the Phish fan say when the drugs wore off?"

-- This music sucks!!

Still makes me laugh!

ps - also, don't forget Rusted Root. They kill it!
Old     (joec08)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-21-2008, 7:04 PM Reply   
sittin here in limbo /jerry and david grissim,there is nothin like a greatful dead show.