Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       03-13-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
should i get for my canon HG10?
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-13-2008, 6:41 PM Reply   
hmmmmm.....well do you what a laptop or desktop and what else would you want to use it for?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-13-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
The best overall deal is the new aluminum iMacs. You get an excellent LCD and they are pretty much set up with everything you need except for storage. External storage is plenty fast enough for editing footage with the Canon and reasonably cheap.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-13-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
I bought my first mac about 3 months ago and went between mac book and mac book pro. I decided to go with the pro, it is absolutely amazing. I know I sound like I drank the Kool Aid, but I have never had a computer that does so many different things out of the box. I use a Canon EOS Rebel XTi and my mac found it immediately. Good Luck!
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       03-14-2008, 5:20 AM Reply   
cool guys. If i got a mac book pro would i need to buy external hard drives?

Somewhere i heard that the iMac dosnt work well with Hard drive cameras. is that true?

thanks guys.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-14-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
That has more to do with support for the video format then the overall speed of the system (which in the case of 2 systems above the iMac is a bit faster then the MBP). With either ones you'll probably want a big external drive for video if you digitize a lot of footage.

Don't get me wrong though a MBP 15" 2.4 Intel is my only computer, I take it between my office and residences and hook it up to big monitors and external drives at those places, it's everything I want in a computer. It really depends on whether you want something mobile for school/work etc or not.

I just recently picked up a 300 gig 2.5" Harddrive for the MBP and installed it my self so I can now keep my main aperture album on the system drive rather then always having to bring a dedicated external.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-14-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
The two optional hard drives for the MBP are 250gig @ 5400rpm and 200gig @ 7200rpm. There's also a company that just released a 500gig hard drive that'll fit inside the MBP. But either way YES, you WILL need external hard drives since you're probably going to wanna shoot in HD and that can eat up a LOT of hard drive space and FAST.
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-14-2008, 3:40 PM Reply   
new 20 or 24 inch iMac or a macbook Pro
Old     (davidhep23)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-15-2008, 7:03 AM Reply   
I've got the Macbook pro. For pics and an occasional video its great. If you really get into making large projects with Final Cut the extra internal hard drives on the desktop is the way to go. I'm saving right now for a new Mac pro desktop with about 2TB of internal hard drive. I'm always trying to find extra memory on the laptop to complete projects. I've lost 200 GB worth of video projects on my external hard drive recently and am a little paranoid of external memory.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-15-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
Always, always, ALWAYS back up all of your important data! With the cost of hard drives nowadays, there's really no excuse not to.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-19-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Hey Ty,
I got the Aluminum 20" iMac with 2 Gb of RAM. I love it! I run Final Cut Express 4, Adobe After Effects CS3, Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended on it without a hitch. I just got the Canon HF100 AVCHD Camera and it works great with Final Cut Express 4. I keep all my media on an external drive to keep a good amount of my internal drive clear for editing. I then backup my raw footage to DVD and backup my projects to the external drive. The finished videos also go on the external drive. Now I just need redundancy so in case that external crashes. The screen on the iMac is beautiful but there is a gradient to it that may bother some when it comes to color accuracy. I'm aware of it, but it doesn't affect anything for me.