Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2007, 4:56 PM Reply   
this weekend we did tow-in surfing behind the boat. I would drive at surfing speed or even a little faster, my son's friend would whip him up from behind on a jet ski, letting go of the line way behind the "pocket". skimming faster than the wake, he would then drop-in over the top and continue to surf the wake. (next time I'll bring a camera) we had a blast for hours... although twice the fuel
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-29-2007, 6:02 PM Reply   
That sounds fun until you go too fast and slam into the boat or worse bail and shoot your board into the boat.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2007, 6:38 PM Reply   
actually we did lose the board a few times, but we were coming across the wake at an angle much like wakeboarding, (as in wake skating) so the board would shoot away from the boat and way, way back.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-29-2007, 6:56 PM Reply   
Sounds like a bad idea to me, and not that fun.

Don't get caught by the police .
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-29-2007, 7:10 PM Reply   
sounds like fun Chris. i'm sure the cops would frown on it and could cause them to question our sport, but for a good rider who knows how to control their board - could be fun for a few times -- just don't get caught as dh said...

the MOB productions guys had a winch attached to the back of their boat and were doing something similar (tow-in), but probably somewhat safer considering the variable of the boat and the jetski...

(Message edited by smedman on May 29, 2007)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-29-2007, 7:10 PM Reply   
Here is a variation using a winch off land. They have also used a winch off the back of the boat.
http://www.mobgroup.tv/videos/grinching.html
Naci grinch surfing
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2007, 7:11 PM Reply   
like I said, wish I would have had camera, belive me, after 40 years of driving boats, saftey is #1 concern with me. this was not any different than dropping the rope off the tow boat, just another tow vehicle, well behind and way off to the side.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
forgot to mention,} it was in Mexico and NO other boats in site!
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
Dennis, thanks for the "grinching" link, had I seen that, I never would have started this thread. I'm kinda new to this forum thing...I realize research before posting would be wise. Kinda thought we didn't invent a new sport, just wanted to ask who else has done it. (winch, jet-ski,helicopter, etc.
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-30-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
Sounds like a blast. It does infringe on the 100ft. rule, but I would give it a go in a safe area with nobody around and a couple of drivers I trust. Definitely not the safest thing in the world, but certainly not the most dangerous either.

I would just like to state that, safety is my main concern as well. We had the Coast Guard out giving free safety checks at the ramp two weeks ago, and I was the only one at that point of the morning to have all my chit together.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-30-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
OK - here's the link to the mobgroup grinch wakesurfing -- they have the grinch on the swim deck above the motor.
http://www.mobgroup.tv/videos/grinching2.html
(Parker Grinch Surfing)
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-31-2007, 2:24 PM Reply   
ya we did grinching from all angles, behind the boat, from the land, we also did the tow ats with the ski, towing into the face of the wave. and it doesent even interfear with the 100 foot rule because you can whip from so far out and your going so fast that you dont need to be any where near the boat. we dont recomend doing it because it can be dangerous if you dont know what your doing, and saftey is always the #1 concern, but we have pro surfers doing this who know what they are doing and know the risks involved. check it out! but dont try it at home (or your local lake)