Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-24-2006, 9:08 PM Reply   
With gas prices(gauging)the way they are, what is everyone doing to get max from the motor as far as fuel economy? By the way, It kills me that when the price of a barrel of oil drops 8% last week, the price at the pumps went down 2%. But when oil goes up the price at the pump jumps up even more by %. I know we have a choice not to use our boats but #@%&*$# these big oil companies and all their record profits, I am simply a man trying to enjoy time with family and friends and it's gettin' too expensive to run 2-4 times a week . Anyway, I changed plugs ect... but what else can we do to max out our hard earned $$$?
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-24-2006, 9:51 PM Reply   
A good tune up is a good start besides that, all fuel booster additives are false.
Old     (ccraftskierfan)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-25-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
I dunno but I'm very happy with the fuel economy in my Monsoon '04 direct drive Wakesetter.
I was on vacation using the boat every day, started with a full tank, put in 23 gal half way through the week, and another 24 gallons to fill it when we got home.
47 gallons for about 28 running hours isn't too bad.
To be more specific I agree with keeping the boat tuned and filters clean. That's all I would do, except limiting WOT when possible.

(Message edited by ccraftskierfan on July 25, 2006)
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-25-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
ccraftskierfan, are you sure about those numbers it seems way off to me 1.7 gallons per hour?

your certianly are not Wakebaord or skiing.

My Runabout burns 3-4 per hour and everyone says that is Great! If a DD only burns 1.7 gallon per hour I need to get a new boat or at least a Monsoon '04 direct drive Wakesetter.
Old     (ccraftskierfan)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-25-2006, 4:32 PM Reply   
We are not solely boarding and skiing, I would approximate 10-12 of the hours were for that purpose. The balance was cruising to different parts of L. George. I am not an fuel economy expert but would think that a direct drive is very efficient when compared to a similar sized I/O because of more moving parts. Also running a 4 blade SS prop.
Our last boat, a Correct Craft Skier, was also very good on gas.

(Message edited by ccraftskierfan on July 25, 2006)
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-25-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
I try not to think about it since the boat is for family and fun. I know they're gauging us, but really to spend $75 for a day of fun is pretty cheap compared to taking the wife and kids shopping for the day instead.
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-25-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
I just got back from Powell, it was about 7-8gph in my 8.1L (BUW247) We surfed, boarded, hydrofoiled, tubed etc. It is expensive, so I try to not think about it. THanks for the reminder.
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-25-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
my old 19'dd 351/260 hp (1900 # ) was pretty good also approx 2-3 gph... malibu vlx 340 monsoon (3900 # + ballast)6-7 gph... i'm going to try some oil addatives and see if it helps

(Message edited by badbob13ftw on July 25, 2006)
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-25-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
I avg about 3-3.75gph in my 20'Prostar/ 350cu chev motor, acme 543 prop. we usually run about 2mi to our creek, sac up and run. is this out of the norm? just seems we go thru alot of $$$ in gas. anyone have any results with oil/ fuel additives to help on consumption?
Old    ausbill32            07-26-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
I average between 5-7gph in my supra 21v 2006 just depends on how much ballast we fill up and how many people are in the boat. Also, I've noticed a big difference when we use the wake plate.
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       07-26-2006, 4:21 PM Reply   
In addition to tuneup, these are my suggestions for conserving fuel:
1. No powerturns, stop and idle back to rider (unless you have a crowded lake with bayliners approaching your fallen rider)
2. Ride with less ballast if you can. I like to have stock 800lbs + 2000lbs at 24mph, but lately i have been trying it with just stock ballast and slowing the speed down and have been doing ok.
3. Less falls. Stopping to pick up rider and starting again take more fuel than pulling them. You can't control this, but pulling somebody that goes ban zai/crash and burn on every cut can cost you.
4. ride with people that share the cost of fuel.
5. limit the tubing and other goofy towables that consume time and fuel.
6. If you have to drive to other end of lake keep RPMs/speed down as much as possible for the drive down.
7. Limit ride time to 10-15 minutes per rider. if your rider knows he only has 15 minutes they may ride better than if they have unlimited time.
8. fill the ballast only when you need it and dont fill it all the way up for beginners that can't tell the difference. empty it before cruising down the lake.

Some of these may not apply to you, and these can't all be controlled but they can help save some fuel if you can control any of them.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-26-2006, 7:32 PM Reply   
Jon, all good recommendations. We apply all, especially the ballast fill ups, we empty for beginners. Seems I burn more gas with the 543 acme but the performance is nicer. TKS for input. Seems my useage is not out of norm compared to #s put up here. More floatin', less boatin' if my sales don't pick up.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-26-2006, 7:59 PM Reply   
Also, I've found that starting riders with a slower acceleration rate has a noticeable impact on fuel consumption. I used to get them and up to speed as quickly as possible with out ripping their arms off. Now I sorta "Drive Miss Dazey" them up to speed.
Old     (habcaw_creek)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-27-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
Have to agree with craig just bc many ppl dont realize it. Also the killers are ballast and riders prone to fall alot.
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-28-2006, 10:53 PM Reply   
my boat and i fall the most. guess i'm stuck driving...
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-29-2006, 1:16 AM Reply   
who really cares, if this is the sport or thing your into it will happen regardless
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-29-2006, 9:59 PM Reply   
I'm staying with a Toyota Epic, 2-3 GPH on a 22ft boat with ballast and people.