Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-16-2004, 11:28 PM Reply   
Well the calendar still says winter, but when temps are in the high 80's and the water high 60's it feels more like early summer! But the snow capped mountains in the background remind us that winter isn't quite over yet.

Thanks to Steve and Thane for a great day on Elsinore!

Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-16-2004, 11:34 PM Reply   
Bill, great pics
Thane, Nice Method grab (Get a little warm in the drysuit did it?)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-16-2004, 11:59 PM Reply   
Man, the quality in the pics are freakin' amazing! I'm sure I've asked before, but what cam are you using?

Nice work, Bill!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-17-2004, 6:36 AM Reply   
Joe: Canon Digital Rebel 6.3 megapixel SLR
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-17-2004, 6:41 AM Reply   
Nice pokes, Thane.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-17-2004, 6:44 AM Reply   
Awesome pics yet again, Bill. Upper 60s water and dude's in a drysuit? What's up with THAT?

Bill, I hesitate to even give you advice on pictures since yours are by far the best posted around here, but (perhaps it's just me) but I would like to see a mix of close-ups and some from a little farther out that include the wake to give a sense of the riding a little more. Take my lowly opinion for what it's worth.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-17-2004, 6:44 AM Reply   
Very Nice Closeups I would frame a few of those pictures and put them in your house and hang some wakeboards on the wall. Nice Digi Cam
Old    whitechocolate            03-17-2004, 7:52 AM Reply   
Great Pic's thanks for Posting!
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-17-2004, 8:18 AM Reply   
nice pics
Old    cws_kahuna            03-17-2004, 8:49 AM Reply   
Those pics are wonderful. What kind of a zoom does that Canon camera have?

Actually looks like a nice day at Elsinore.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-17-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
Yeah Bill, sweet pics. I almost bit and bought a Dig Rebel last night. This might push me over the edge. I know I will need to get the 75 - 300 lens and a larger card and extra battery, maybe a compact flash. So that $1000 jumps a lot. That was the only thing stopping me. Damm I want one!!!!
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-17-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
im going to take a look at that canon 6.3 megapixel digi cam. Did you get an upgraded lens? I have a 4 megapixel Olympus. I wish I could get that close from the back of my boat.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-17-2004, 2:49 PM Reply   
Yeah, I was using a 70-200mm f4/L lens, but I've also used the cheaper 70-300mm f5.6 lens (about $160) and it worked pretty well.

I picked up 2 extra batteries on eBay for $25, but battery on the Rebel will take about 200 pics so you don't necessarily need extras - unlike non-SLR digitals that burn batteries pretty quickly.
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-17-2004, 6:07 PM Reply   
Bill - Is that an IS lens you are using? I am looking for a lens and was just going to get the 75-300. Want to make sure that the Digital Rebel will take good shots in the moving boat with the standard lens.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-17-2004, 6:11 PM Reply   
Bruce, that's a non-IS lens. From what I've been told the IS is a waste of money for wakeboarding. The key is using a fast shutter speed - in those pics I was using 1/2000. The IS lens are great for low-light situations and not necessary for action sports with fast movement. Of course you can buy the IS lens and just turn it off.

Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-17-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. Most of what I am shooting is outdoors, so I will save that big upcharge and find a regular zoom.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-18-2004, 8:19 AM Reply   
Hey Guys, I am going to pick one up today. What the heck LOL Anyway "IS Lens" can you tell a rooke what that means.

Bill, did you say that the standard flash on the Digital Rebel was sub par?

Thanks for your help!
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2004, 9:46 AM Reply   
IS = Image Stabilization. Basically it keeps the lens perfectly still to give you perfect focus when you are taking shots that are in low light or when moving around, such as a sideline photographer at a football game. They cost about 2.5 times as much as the regular lens, so I was glad to hear I didn't really need it for wakeboarding.

My flash seems to work fine for my photography. I have noticed it overexposing once in a while, but I'm sure I can control that once I learn the camera better.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-18-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
HI guys, I bought a kodak 5 megapixal digital. Is this just a point and shoot and not capable of taking the great shots posted?? I have such a hard time timing the delay on the snap. any tips or suggestions?? thanks!! ( I know a good tip would be to drop a grand on a canon dig, but after paying for 2 boys at wakeboard camp, it's just not possible!)
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-18-2004, 10:12 AM Reply   
With a 5 mpx you should be able to crop some good pics in photo editing software to look similar to what Bill has posted above, at least as far as displaying on a computer screen. You will take the pics at maximum zoom on your camera, download to your photo editing software, then crop and resize as necessary.

To overcome the timing display, push the button halfway down to "set" the lens, then push the rest of the way once you are ready to take the picture.

Here's a pic I took recently. Not nearly as good as Bill's, and the lighting was bad that day, but you get the idea. This was with my 3.2 mpx camera (but using a 10x optical zoom).

aki
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-18-2004, 10:17 AM Reply   
Here's another one with the same camera. Remember these are massively chopped down in quality in order to post them here on Dave's sight within the limits.

brian
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-18-2004, 10:58 AM Reply   
Andre, nice shots! TeamValdez, yep that delay thing drives me nuts. Try Andre's advice. But it seems like some cameras won't allow you to set it like that. The nice thing about the Digital Rebel is you can fire off three in a row, without delay. Trying to capture wakeboarding in action, well it takes a lot of shots to get a good one. Definitely easier to go bam, bam, bam .....bam bam bam, etc.

If I do buy my camera, maybe I can join you on your boat and try to capture some shots of your boys out on the back water. We can even get some from my boat of you cruising by. Different angles and such. Then we can hand it off to you for some shots of Nathan and I. Maybe get some good crash footage!! LOL
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-18-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
Bruce thanks for the info!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-18-2004, 11:41 AM Reply   
Thanks for posting the pics Bill, and thanks for the pulls Steve.

Kristian - I can do Methods?! jk, those are fun.

J-rod - thanks for the props dude.

To explain my dilemma, it was a rather warm day. Unsuspecting of me all I brought was my drysuit. I would have trunked all day. On my last pull I just wore my shorts and bummed a vest from Steve. Vest too big, and drove home with wet shorts, but well worth it.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-18-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
Those are some incredible grabs Thane.

That was a dilemma! I will be glad to put the dang baggy away for the season. I hate wearing that thing.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-18-2004, 5:35 PM Reply   
It was the weirdest feeling wearing the dry suit, then getting in the water with just shorts. I was like, "what the...? I'm wet, this isn't supposed to happen." I agree Andre, I don't like wearing that thing either. Thanks for the props.
Old    dezy            03-18-2004, 6:34 PM Reply   
Nice pics and nice riding, the air will be in the 60s and the water 50s here for months, so we
are just going to get used to the "baggy"
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-18-2004, 6:45 PM Reply   
Baggy drysuits and even fullsuits don't make for good pictures either!

Jonathan, the built-in flash is pretty limited but it's worked for the few pics that I've taken with it. I have an old but powerful Vivitar unit that I've been using when I really needed to take flash pics and it seems to be working just fine. But for snapshots the Rebel's flash seems to be adequate.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-18-2004, 6:47 PM Reply   
Yeah, but here in SD we wear the baggies, what, 3 months out of the year, maybe 4? Trunk it the other 8-9 months? Can't complain about that!

On the other hand there is always the local crappy conditions to complain about!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-18-2004, 10:28 PM Reply   
Thats it Thane, you heard the man, no more Baggy suits, they're simply ruining the shots
Old     (zigzagsd)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-18-2004, 10:44 PM Reply   
ok, i'll be the first to comment on aki's mug in that pic!! it's a good thing my camera won't zoom in that close!
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-19-2004, 4:51 AM Reply   
You don't know the half of it, Joh. Every time Aki gets his hands on your camera you can count on a bunch of crappy pictures of yourself riding, and these two pictures every single time!

Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-19-2004, 4:58 AM Reply   
it looks like his feet are getting better
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-19-2004, 8:50 AM Reply   
That was not a pretty sight to take in first thing in the morning LOLOLOL well at least he kept his cloths on. By the way, would that be considered Corona Abuse?!?!?!? I would make him walk the plank!!! LOL
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-19-2004, 9:05 AM Reply   
ewww...nasta! I think he should have those toe-nails removed, and start growing new ones from scratch!
Old    walt            03-19-2004, 6:05 PM Reply   
Thats just WRONG !
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-20-2004, 12:23 AM Reply   
Good thing the FCC can't fine the internet because there is nothing decent about that. Dave may have to remove that one.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       03-20-2004, 12:52 PM Reply   
I think you all are just jealous because Akstar is keeping it real. Damn I wish I had feet like that.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-20-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
I guess Aki doesn't have to worry about anyone wanting to borrow his bindings.
Old    indifferent            03-20-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
Those were nice grabs Thane. I also like the pic of the 360 I almost did not know it was you until I saw that one, you sexy beast!