Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-14-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
Tonight on Mythbusters one of the Mythbusters crew was wakeboarding behind a cruise ship. He was riding a CWB absolute!
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-14-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
I saw it. It was entertaining.
Old    murrayair            11-14-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
Thank God for Tivo! Mythbusters is one of my favorite shows.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-14-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
We saw it too. Thought that Tory wasnt going to be able to do it and they were gonna call it BUSTED.

I was hoping they would bring in a pro.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-14-2007, 10:12 PM Reply   
What was this all about? I'm curious
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-15-2007, 6:11 AM Reply   
Great episode in general, I was afraid tory was going to get hung up in the 300' of rope since he didn't have the handle. Love the blown up impala!
Old     (210hippy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-15-2007, 6:58 AM Reply   
Tip for the day! Don't loop the rope around your hand when being pulled by a ship.If this guy would have done a face plant,good bye fingers.If he only knew how close he came to disaster.They should have got a pro or at least someone with some experience.WOW!
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-15-2007, 7:14 AM Reply   
what was the myth?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-15-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
"what was the myth?"

+1?
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-15-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
Did they say why they didn't use a handle? I thought it would have been better if he would have been able to cut around a little bit. Still a good episode though.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-15-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
It really wasn't a myth, the theme of the show was supersized myths and somebody from the website suggested wakeboarding behind a cruise ship.

The cruise ship was going 14 knots (16mph). What they did is they drug a 300' rope from the rail of the ship and then they came up behind it with a chase boat (a little dive boat). They had mounted one of those barefoot training bars off of the side of the boat. Then when they got close to the ship, he reached down, picked up the ship rope and dropped the boat rope.

I was actually a little let down, I wanted him to grab the handle and cut out. If they would have gotten a pro, or hell even somebody with some basic experience it would have been easy.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-15-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
I saw it too and was pretty let down.

He was holding onto the rope like 300 feet behind the boat and never made it to the handle on the end of the rope, and did absolutely nothing. It definitely would've been cool to see a pro try and do something.

We should get a petition and send it to them to re-do it, that would be awesome...
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-15-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
there was a video from a long time ago of this dude wakeboarding behind a huge sailboat. He was doing big inverts behind that thing.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-15-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
My wife doesn't like Mythbusters because they are always going... "Busted" with the weakest data. I tell her that's not the point of the show. It's because men like to see crazy stuff put together and big explosions. It's like a man show for geeks.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-15-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
One time they were trying to see if somebody could ski behind a crew rowing shell. Even with big ol' jumpers... busted!
Old    sdahockey21            11-15-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
What I though was bad, was they had a sweet carbon handle from straight line and he did not even use it!!!! Plus wrapping rope around hand... And they kept calling it water skiing in the start of the show, then they said to make it even harder he will be using a wakeboard?? Harder??

Oh well other than that I LOVE the show, very disappointing about the rocket car oooops....

It would have probably been cake for any of use to do also....
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-15-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
he was riding a cwb absolute? at first he was riding a motive or some low end Hype board w/ vario bindings.

so he did absolutely nothing?
tell em to get the ship up to 30, have randall out there bringin everthing out into the flats.
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-15-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
Obviously the Myth Busters crew is not going to live up to our standard of riding or wake knowledge. Except for explosives, they rarely use outsiders in the episodes.

However It is RAD that they even considered to use wakeboarding in any Myth episode.

Chill on the baggin and show some praise for highlighting our sport!

FYI, originally it was supposed to be the Myth on waterskiing behind a passenger cruise ship. With politics it wasn't possible.
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-15-2007, 5:16 PM Reply   
I was thinking about the handle taking out the back of his head after he let go of the rope.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-15-2007, 5:23 PM Reply   
"FYI, originally it was supposed to be the Myth on waterskiing behind a passenger cruise ship. With politics it wasn't possible."

Maybe I'm stupid, I didn't see the whole episode, can someone please explain this to me??
Old    murrayair            11-15-2007, 5:46 PM Reply   
I agree that it was awesome that they got wakeboarding onto the show, but it always bugs me when people mistake wakeboarding for waterskiing.

(Message edited by murrayair on November 15, 2007)
Old     (clay_fraley)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-15-2007, 5:56 PM Reply   
haha, I agree with Trevor!! someone call randall and lets sign the petition
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-16-2007, 7:26 AM Reply   
"One time they were trying to see if somebody could ski behind a crew rowing shell. Even with big ol' jumpers... busted!"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_Ok75MTffgY&feature=related
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-18-2007, 6:55 PM Reply   
I just caught the re-run. I thought is was awesome that they were able to take somebody who didn't even wakeboard and make that 'stunt' work. I think it would have been way too easy with somebody with experience.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-18-2007, 7:07 PM Reply   
300 foot rope eh? thats a long ways back there...Randall Harris would do a stalefish front into the flats anyway.