Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-05-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
Just tried wakesurfing for the first time yesterday...enjoyed it a lot more than I though I would. We had 7 in the boat all on one side and the ballast tanks filled on my SAN, and it gave a beuatiful wake, especially on the driver side (which is good for me, as I'm goofy). A few questions...

-is there a good place to read up on some good beginner tips?

-rode my buddy's HL Broadcast. Good board for beginners and progressing? WW guide says it's for a "wakeboard" riding style, and all of us are definitely coming from wakeboarding. Any other boards that are good for beginners and progressing? I'm 6'0, 180 lbs if that makes a difference.

We seemed to get the best wake when my buddy was going in a constant wide radius turn. Sometimes I would come down the face of the wake though, and i'd be less than a foot from the swim platform. Is that correct? Should I be worried about carbon monoxide poisoning if I'm riding that close?

-what exactly are 3's and shuv-its, and what are the skills a beginner should be focusing on? I'm assuming the real focus is to be able to really ride for a good amount of time w/o the rope...
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       07-05-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
Tommy,

Im new to wakesurfing this year also. But I found that the IS blue is a great board and will work for your size. The wake will clean up when you turn slightly to the surf side.

I started out riding without the rope for a while to get use to adjusting my speed and I have hit my boat a few times. So you will end up close some times. Once I got my speed down I started to work on turning and quick slashes. Once i got that down I started lip slides. Now I am on 3's. I pull my first 2 this weekend. After i master the 3 i am going to start working on arials. Hopfully soon.

I am not worried about CO2 poisoning. I have never been able to smell the exhaust when I am surfing.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-05-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
CO2 is a colorless, odorless, and deadly gas
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-05-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
I highly recommend the Inland Surfer Blue Lake. I first bought the Broadcast as well, but the Blue is so much faster. If you go to www.inlandsurfer.com they have board information and video of different tips and tricks! Hope this helps.

dg
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-05-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
CO poisoning?
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       07-05-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
So i had a brain fart. I ment carbon monoxide poisoning not carbon dioxide CO2.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-05-2007, 9:08 PM Reply   
thanks for the tips guys...does anyone worry about CO poisoning?

I kept thinking of the story of the kid who was surfing w/o a vest, passed out and died.
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       07-05-2007, 9:20 PM Reply   
we put a fresh air exhaust on a MB sport b52 BOAT and it works great http://www.freshairexhaust.com/
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
great idea, i've never seen that before. I had a headache after riding last weekend, and assumed it was b/c we were on choppy water. Now I'm wondering if it's CO related.
Old     (djmann270)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-07-2007, 9:52 AM Reply   
If you have any basic ?'s go to www.howtowakesurf.com It explains everything in detail for you.