Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
So i tried wakesurfing behind my friends loaded down malibu yesterday and im hooked, but i have a crossover natique and the wake is kind of tiny.

what would the best waeksurfer be for my situation.

oh and heres the kicker.

it has to be CWB or Liquid Force since im sponsered by a local board shop that carries those and Ronix

help please?
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-30-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
I'm in the same boat(no pun intended)Small surf wake that is, I would say the bigger the board the better for us, if it must be cwb or LF I'd say the Ride or Venture but I haven't ridden either yet.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-30-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
well then mike -- how can you make a recommendation on a Venture that you have never ventured.

(Message edited by showtime on April 30, 2007)

(Message edited by showtime on April 30, 2007)
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-30-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
Let me dig up my hooked on ebonics cd and translate your post, then I'll reply! What a putz
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-30-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
heck, i had to...

we usually ride the yellow loogy, but i agree w/ mike, appears that w/ a smaller wake a larger board would have to make "staying in the pocket" a bit easier...
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
oh, and im really tiny

i hoover around 120 pounds.

what size would be best?
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-30-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
So a bigger board equals easier to stay in the pocket. Like what size? I have a 4'9" Hyperlite.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-30-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
heck, seems to me @ only 120 lbs you could ride a shoebox -- heck oyu should just try riding a large wakeboard...
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-30-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
Get one of the new LF Custom boards.
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       04-30-2007, 8:07 PM Reply   
a calibrated board for any wake you wakesurf is you best bet..
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-01-2007, 4:01 AM Reply   
I'd go with any board from Inland Surfer, The Walker Project, Xtreme Board Company or Shred Stixx.

The CWB company ain't exactly a friend of wakesurfers everywhere.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-01-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
Get a 10' longboard !!
Old    surfdad            05-01-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
I would agree with Joshua, at 120 pounds you have tons of options, Caleb, even for a small wake. If your choices are limited to CWB and LF, then I would recommend either the 4'10" Custom or Tsunami 4'9".

I find that the wider square nose of the Venture tends to catch in the flats on hard bottom turns. The more pointed nose on the two boards I mentioned, should provide you some growth as your skills build.

The 4'2" Custom might be a little small for a first board, especially on a small wake. IMO, the 4'10" Custom would give you more stability while you build skills. Your weight would allow you to ride the 4'2", so if you can ramp up your skills fairly quickly, the 4'2" might be a cheaper long-run choice.

Also, I have heard through the rumor mill, on two occassions now, that the folks at Ronix are working on a wakesurfer, no idea when or if it will hit the market.

Ron, bigger boards do make it easier to stay in the pocket. It's a function of surface area, IMO. Many folks equate bigger with LONGER, which is true, but also...WIDER provides more surface area too. So boards like the Shred Stixx JaMako and the Inland Surfer Yellow are both wide boards - about 22", but both are also below 5 feet in length (4'11" and 4'4" respectively). Now, to directly answer your question about size, we'd need to know your weight and also the approximate size of your wake (small, medium or large).
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-01-2007, 7:06 PM Reply   
I weigh almost twice what Caleb does and ride a medium to medium large wake. Last year I had trouble riding the Shred Stixx Stixxreme. I had to slow the boat down to about 9 mph and stand far forward on the board. At that speed the pocket was short and I didn’t have any speed to work with. The board was too small for my weight.

This year at the Norris Lake Ice Breaker I had an opportunity to ride John Roger's Shred Stixx Piranha and JaMako. I was a little rusty from the winter but even so both of these Stixx boards rode great for me. I was riding John’s boards behind his killer LSV. The wake was about two stories high and the wake had its own atmosphere so I had a lot to work with. I’m sure that I would have a great ride on these boards on a lesser wake.

It was really cool to get a good ride on a Stixx board that was the right size for me. I knew Jerry made great boards, now I have my own first hand experiences to share.

Like Jeff says I would expect a 120 pound surfer would have many, many more options than I do.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-02-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
Caleb,

We are riding the Tsunami and it is sweet! I'd recommend it for you.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-02-2007, 9:27 AM Reply   
awesome jon, ill have to give it a try.

by the way, i landed my switch 360, a couple of them...

but i havnt been on the water since i landed it so you get to see it later
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-02-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
by the way, thanks everybody, now i just have to scrape some money,