Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       06-08-2006, 8:17 PM Reply   
Just an opinion
Old     (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-08-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
The wake is awesome. Hopefully one day I will get to ride behind one.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-08-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
same
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-08-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
Hey Shane -

Do you have any problems with boards clapping together on your Metcraft Illusion board racks? Mine don't hold the boards far apart and the boards smack really loudly when going over any kind of rough water. Just curious if you have the same issue.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       06-08-2006, 9:23 PM Reply   
Read the post Jay...everyone here LOVES their Malibu...Dont rock the boat
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-08-2006, 9:55 PM Reply   
I dont run big water, no board clatter, I love my BU
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-08-2006, 10:11 PM Reply   
I get to see my new bu for the first time tomorrow!!!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!! I KNOW I WILL LOVE my MALIBU!!!
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-08-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
my racks bang the crap out of my boards on double-ups. i would love a pair of illusion 180 degree swivel racks to make docking in my tight slip easier, but i don't know if that design is possible. i never claimed malibu was perfect though, just competitive with any other boat in the industry in wake, reliability, workmanship, styling, comfort, performance, innovation, and anything else you can think of. so i too love my bu. but, to be fair, i would love my boat almost as much--and maybe even equally--if i had a 210, 220, x-1, x-star, v215, 21v, 24ssv, etc., etc.. i'm no hater, i love all boats...unlike some
Old    toolman            06-09-2006, 3:15 AM Reply   
poor Leo
So we have had our malibu response for 4 years now and it seems like anything that could break has broken. The starter, altenator, battery, blower, steering cable, throttle cable, rear main seal (would have cost $2000 to fix if it wasnt under warranty), the cd player, fuel pump, fuel filter, none of our gauges work (I know, really dangerous), and now a head gasket is broken which is going to cost us over a grand. I know some of these things are normal for the maintenance of a boat, but the rear main seal broke when the boat was only 3 years old. I dont think we are ever going to buy a malibu again. I hope all inboard boat companies dont produce boats like this. Our fishing boat lasted 15 years with no problems. Maybe someone at malibu will see this and realize that they need to make a boat that lasts longer then 5 years if they are going to sell them for $50k.

Poor Jay
Do you have any problems with boards clapping together on your Metcraft Illusion board racks? Mine don't hold the boards far apart and the boards smack really loudly when going over any kind of rough water. Just curious if you have the same issue.

And Jeff
my racks bang the crap out of my boards on double-ups.

And Brents
I am a 05 VLX owner and have had my boat for 9 months. Of which 4 1/2 of it has been spent in the dealership service center.-- This ultimately caused the tower to clank when someone was riding--

And last but not least Erics,
My leaked and not only did I have to repair it, but the transmission also required a rebuild. I have had the upper deck of my engine rebuilt too.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-09-2006, 5:05 AM Reply   
does anyone else think toolman is appropriately named?
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-09-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
Hooray! Another thread that's bound to last 100+ posts and serve absolutely no purpose. I'm 20 years old and using these threads to pass the time in class. What's your excuse, David? Or are you just a loser? You sure pretend to know a lot about boats for someone who just started shopping a few weeks ago. Again, do you actually have any first hand experience to validate your opinion, or did one of the dealers tell you Malibus were low quality and then you saw Leo's thread--completely ignoring the dozens of other "help threads" on discussion boards for other boats--and figured it must be true? I love people who think they're so much smarter than everyone else. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of people on this site that devoted years to searching for their perfect boat with years of experience in all kinds of tow boats and, in the end, went with Malibu. Are you telling us you were able determine Malibu's true quality in one dealer visit more ably than all the rest of us? If so, you must share your gifts with the rest of us, so we can avoid making another uneducated mistake in the future.

Let's summarize:

Leo, a second owner--David,do you know how the original owner treated the boat, or if the engine was properly worn in? (The first 10 hours are the most important after all.)--used a non-closed-cooled engine (an engine I've never even heard of, so I assume Malibu only had it in production for a year or two, weren't too happy with it, and had Indmar produce another high 300 horsepower engine) for 700 hard hours on Louisiana bayous. And don't pretend you know anything about Louisiana conditions; it is like no other place in the world. The combination of brackish water, humidity, moisture, and flushing that wasn't done on a daily basis can be hell on an engine and, yes, even the gauges. Should the engine have lasted longer before requiring such an extensive rebuild? Most likely, but there's no telling if something similar would have happened had he purchased another boat. Should his dealer have done a better job of fixing some of the smaller problems while they were still under warranty? Absolutely. But, unfortunately, crappy dealers are everywhere. If you honestly believe Malibu is the only company with these kinds of problems, let me know and I'll send you a detailed PM about the 5 boats (2 MC's, a CC, and 2 Tiges) I've had extensive first hand dealings with that are much newer and more expensive than Leo's but have had equally significant issues in much more optimal conditions.

Brett's tower was installed improperly by the dealer, not Malibu, and the mistake was not remedied nearly as quickly as it should have been. Again, another bad dealer. It happens...a lot. With any luck, your dealer will turn out to be as trustworthy as Waterski America in Dallas (they rock).

Eric's boat was way back when Malibu was still using PCM (the same engines that are in Correct Craft's), and his troubles began after he had sucked up a sufficient amount of sand, clogging the coolant runners (did you not read his follow-up post, or do you just enjoy taking things completely out of context?). Large amounts of sand that gather unbeknownst to the owner equals disaster on ANY inboard engine. Besides, I think most will agree Malibus have improved leaps and bounds since then, beginning with the ownership change in the 90's and really taking flight the last few years.

Lastly, wouldn't you say board racks that bang the boards together two or three times a day--only on the HUGE double-ups--are a pretty minor problem to have on an otherwise flawless boat? I could have sworn there have been a few stories on here about '06 Tiges with board racks that not only rattled, but fell completely off and into the water leading to the destruction of the attached boards. Point is, no boat is perfect. I hope when you finally realize that on your boat it won't be a major catastrophe.

(Message edited by jcv on June 09, 2006)
Old     (massattitude)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-09-2006, 6:48 AM Reply   
Toolman
Go buy a Centurion then, I hear the build quality boat at a great price, Dependable, Great service and last for years.
Hey and they thro the biggest wakes!!!!!

LOL
Old     (marknjenn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-09-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
They have great deals on Centurions at Mossdale from what I hear!!
lol
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-09-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
hahha..nice Mark.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-09-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
Love my Bu and Illusion X and Metcraft racks! No clapping coming from my racks...now booing coming from the boat while I'm riding is a different story!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-09-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
Why can't we ever seem to get away from these kind of threads?

tool, you're starting to sound like TJK.
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-09-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
I thought this was a positive "I love my malibu" thread? Where's all the love peeps? Go to the other thread if ya want to be hate'n. We want nuthin but good vibes over here.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-09-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
holy crap jeff....how much spare time do you have?
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-09-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
Ty, lol. Well, I'm in class from 8 am to 4 pm--plenty of time to wax poetic about nothing and everything--every other day, and I have computers in most of my classes. So it's either wakeworld or play internet putt-putt golf for the 3000th time. My professor doesn't really speak English, so paying attention isn't an option. I'm riding all weekend, so I promise you won't hear another peep out of me 'til Monday. And even then, putt-putt golf is starting to sound real appealing after the recent rash of threads. I thought wakeboarding season was supposed to make wakeworld a much more pleasant, stoke-filled place. As the Black Eyed Peas would say, "Where is the love?"

(Message edited by jcv on June 09, 2006)
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-09-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
Finally - I'm sick of the "I HATE MALIBU" thread.

Hey - while we're on useless threads, lets have a Ford vs Chevy debate.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-09-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
Well I love my Bu, No problems at all and its a 96!

Upload
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-09-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
I love my Malibu too....and I love having it in the shop 3X a summer too. I just love my BU.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-09-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
I "like" my Malibu. If my board racks didn't smack my boards around, maybe I would love it better.

And everyone knows Ford kicks Chevy's butt. Better trucks and cooler muscle cars.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-09-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
I love my friend's Malibu.
Old    jemiller06            06-09-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
Toolman, how do you feel about your Malibu? Why would you post that on an obviously positive thread full of people expressing their love of a brand?

Leo put around 600 hours on his boat in 4 years, I think its safe to say he loves his Malibu also regardless of wheter or not he is having some problem's with wear items.

I think Jeff summarized each case you refered to. Didn't your parents teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. If you don't own a Malibu or love something about them then post something that matters on a thread someone might care about. Actually, why don't you just keep posting on the I HATE MY MALIBU thread. Whatever you do stay off this one.

I, by the way, love my Malibu and everything about it, even replacing wear items (which I haven't had to do).
Old     (gelo_az_23_lsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-09-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
I just picked up my Malibu last week and I love it!!!!!!!! Congrats to all with a new boat, hope you are as happy as I am.......
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-09-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
I love my boat, I have already said this in my other post. Unfortunately, a lot of you dont have the pleasure to know how much of a sarcastic ass I am. One other thing wrong with my boat is that if you turn it off, it wont start again for like 20 minutes. So I always tell people to rub the engine cover for good luck. Yes, I was upset that my engine broke, but after putting 730hrs on it in 4 years, that boat has treated me well. I have learned so much behind that boat and wouldnt give it up for anything. I am not selling it, my dad has 5 years left on it and we are keeping it and putting a new engine in at the end of the summer. So anyone who is still hatin', let it be, I dont care. I am about to put my engine back together tonight and will be wakeboarding everyday for the next 2 months.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       06-09-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
Leo...while I agree that you are a sarcastic ass (your words), there are many Malibu owners who have nothing but good things to say about their boats. Try not to follow up compliments with the word "but". I could care less what boat anyone has, I just like mine. That is what the thread was all about. So David...is your nickname "toolman" wishful thinking? Or because you have to cally a large assortment for repairs on your own boat?
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       06-09-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
Excuse me...."carry" (for all the english majors lurking around out there)
Old     (todd_everton)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-10-2006, 3:20 AM Reply   
I bought my '03 vlx last October.I just wish I bought one SOONER!!!I love my Malibu!!
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-10-2006, 5:14 AM Reply   
bess do not forget to check out http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?
Great bunch of Malibu owners
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-10-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
sweeet! Thanx Shane! I am IN LOVE with my Malibu!
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-10-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
520 hours on our 99 SLXi and it has never given us a single problem! Starts up first try at the beginning of the season and we are hoping to get many more years of enjoyment out of it.
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-11-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
In spite of all the negative posts....

I am a Tige` owner (2006 24V), and I just had a chance to check out the 247 'bu. No, I didn't have a chance to check it out on the water (yet!)m but from what I saw malibu has one hell of a product!
The interior is designed very well, everything where it should be, easy access, and built very well. the boat I saw had ~30 hours on it and appeared to have no issues whatsoever.
Love ot or hate it, the illusion tower got some very strong marks from me for how much visibility it offers the driver, as well as how out of the way both the board racks and bimini were. I understand Malibu is working on some swivel racks that will ease board storage while working well with the illusion tower.

I certainly like my Tige`, and I have a demo planned in the next few weeks, but a 247 may certainly be in my future.

Just my .02
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-11-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
In terms of "Curb Appeal" if you will, Nothing beats an 06 Malibu with the Illusion tower. They simply look mean sitting in the water.
Old    toolman            06-11-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
Hurry Robin to the batmobile!
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-11-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
Love my Malibu too!!!
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-11-2006, 9:42 PM Reply   
Lovin' mine. There is always soooooooooooo much room for friends and junk. Nothing bad to say.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-12-2006, 7:09 AM Reply   
looks like envy boy is back
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       06-15-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
Just trying to keep this thread at the top of the page!
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-15-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
I wanted a Malibu but I bought a Calabria because I just could not see paying that much for my first boat. That does not mean that I do not love the BU. I wish I had one! I am sick of that I hate malibu post. Man if my boat lasts 700 hours I will be stoked.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-15-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   

By kHA (kody_a) on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 8:30 pm:

quote:

The wake is awesome. Hopefully one day I will get to ride behind one.

How do you know the wake is awesome??

By David McMurry (toolman) on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 7:00 pm:

quote:

Hurry Robin to the batmobile!

Everybody should love the BU's,they are great boats just a little over done,IMO that's why I think David's post is hilarious!

Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       06-15-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
Malibu's are sweet, love mine.
Old    w8less1            06-15-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
Things that make you go HHMMMMMM
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-16-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
"Everybody should love the BU's,they are great boats just a little over done,IMO that's why I think David's post is hilarious!"

Over done? Coming from a Mastercraft owner that's pretty funny in itself. MC and BU both make a great boat, but, to be fair, they've both been pushing the limits of bling and overly flashy boats pretty hard for a few years now.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-16-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
Jeff,
Don't want to argue but there is nothing over done about MY boat.Do I think some MC are over done....surely but you do see them toning down the graphics!
Do I think every BU is over done.....no,just most!

I think they are good looking boats,yes even the over done one's.....don't get your panties in a bunch just b/c somebody posted something funny and other then a BU owner laughed about it,it is only one opinion,calm yourself.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-16-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
i love my 'bu too. >500h and still running strong.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-16-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
Big Ed, I didn't think my post targeted you all that much, and I'm definitely not mad or offended by what you said, just stating a simple truth (as apparently you and I both see it). Both Bu and MC have been at the forefront of graphic changes, new towers, chrome galore, new hulls/noses, steel cup holders, and 100 other things some may consider "overkill." Granted, like you said, not all the new boats are like this, but a good portion of MC and Bus are (who's more guilty of this is a matter of opinion) whether you ultimately like they way they look or not. Some think the giant "X", barb-wire, and chrome is overdone; others may find the forward-sweeping tower, giant "W", and cupholders to be overdone. So, depending on your perspective, more companies than just Malibu may be trying to shove a little too much into one boat.

I was actually trying to start a little discussion, not an arguement, so, I can assure you, my panties are not in a bunch
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-16-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
Lovin mine everyday.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-16-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   

quote:

Big Ed, I didn't think my post targeted you all that much,

What do you mean?I'm pretty sure my statement in bold that you posted has nothing to do with targeting.

you mention barb-wire but that is only 1 boat.The giant X is just a symbol and BU's have more chrome then any MC I've seen.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-16-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
barb wire, razor blades, tribal "W"'s, it's all the same. and i only put your statement in bold because i have no idea how to do those nifty quote boxes. well, since you're going to read whatever it is you want to read out of my posts, i give up. you win. but, to most people, calling BUs overdone when you own a mastercraft is like insulting LA for not having a pro football team when you live in sacremento. i'm not saying one's more flashy than the other--again personal preference and, luckily, both brands have plenty of substance to back up, at times, questionable style--but to not acknowledge both companies have been guilty of falling prey to the bling craze is a little naive.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-16-2006, 3:18 PM Reply   

quote:

calling BUs overdone when you own a mastercraft is like insulting LA for not having a pro football team when you live in sacremento.

I moved to Disco bay a year ago but still LA at heart but I don't find that insulting at all.Better no team then them damn RaidersYES I SAID IT!!BUAHAHAHAHAHA

Ohh and try \ then quote then { from beginning } make that the end. or just go to "help/instruction" if that didn't make any sense.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-17-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
damn raiders are going to waste the rest of randy moss's career. but hey, atleast they have aaron brooks now
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       06-17-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
Took my 06 VLX Malibu out yesterday, still love my Malibu. I would have to say my boat has a little bling bling, but thats why I work hard to buy toys that I like to use and show off. It wouldn't matter what boat manufacture I went with, my boat would be done up to a certain degree. Just so happens it is a Malibu. 2nd VLX for me.
Brannon

Old     (fyrdawg29)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-17-2006, 5:33 PM Reply   
I'm a BU VLX owner for life. And Toolman, if your gonna quote me get it right!!! My 05 VLX was in the shop for 4 1/2 mos because the service center (not Malibu) incorrectly mounted the tower and subsequently damaged the tower. So when you quote someone get it F'n correct or just keep your mouth shut. And by the way, you truly remind of a guy that has nothing to do but talk trash. Go find something better to do!!! To all the BU owners and friends of BU owners out there, "Enjoy the Pull"

~Sorry for the rant~
Old    kvanderg            06-17-2006, 10:04 PM Reply   
Hello all... it's been a while since I have looked at this board, let alone posted... and its nice to see that there are still the same mature, great, level headed, helpfull people on this board... AND... the same idiots that should smash their own nuts with a hammer before they accidently reproduce. Dont ask which one you are... deep down inside... you already know :-)

Anyway... being a Malibu owner... I have to say that I love our 23LSV. Great wake, lots of room, more storage space than anyone could ask for (I have lost stuff in this boat), good build quality, best tower and bimini out there, not too much bling, Indmar Hammerhead is a great middle step from 340HP to 450HP... but at the same time... the worst shower and heater ever installed in a boat and a bow ballast tank thats mission in life is to leak and soak carpet.

NO BOAT IS PERFECT... regardless of what kind of boat you have "Enjoy the Pull"
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-17-2006, 10:29 PM Reply   
As an impartial Sanger owner, I also love Howie's BU, when I am bumming a ride, same for Joe's and Pete's BU's as well.
Come to think of it I also love Tim's SAN, Doug's Sanger V230, Ron's X-30 and any one else that will drag me around.
Old    live2wakeboard            06-18-2006, 12:44 AM Reply   
I love my MALIBU!!!!
Old     (enzosurfer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-18-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
Not much talk about the love/hate the centurion, so I went with the EnzoBu!! lol

pick her up tuesday

Upload
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-18-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
Too bad its not Danny's photoshop project...
Upload

ouch

and get my of your pro.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-18-2006, 8:46 PM Reply   
The Malibu's are easily the best looking towboats on the water. The Mastercrafts look cool, but just have a slight nautical/fishing boat look. There are also some sweet Centurions, but they are not the norm. If this were a beauty contest, then Malibu wins.

But it's not, so I "like" my Malibu. We're not quite in love yet.
Old     (enzosurfer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-18-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
so just call me ABI normal lol
Old     (tws_andrew)      Join Date: May 2004       06-18-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
I know I am adding flame to the fire and opinions are like ***holes but I have to say it. I have owned two MCs (00 and 02 Xstars) which I loved. I had a hard time deciding which boat to get this year and I went with a 23WS LSV because of the 20k price diff and a few features I really liked. I love the boat but always wondered if I would have been happier in a new XStar. Well... I took a lesson last week behind an 06 Star with the same 8.1 as I have and I was totally unimpressed with it. I am very happy with my decision. My only issue is the horrible Metcraft swivel racks but I think I will rectify that. BTW - the new MC racks are great. Also, I am really not sure what all the hype is on the XStar wake. I felt it was really small compared to my lsv with the wedge down and a little extra weight in the rear(300 per side). Not trying to fan the flames. Just stating my experience as a former MC owner. I think they are both awesome boats and most anyone will be really happy about both
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-18-2006, 10:09 PM Reply   
Wow, havent posted much here lately but some of the threads seem to be turning in to wakeboarder.com
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-19-2006, 6:25 AM Reply   
here is a pic of my 247 wake from this past weekend, dad's day. Stock ballast, including bow, 4 adults and about 5 kids. Mostly sitting on the port side. Just passed the 20 hr mark on the 247, lovin' it. Upload