Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (glasshouse)      Join Date: May 2007       08-15-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
im about 80% decided on adding a tower to my boat and im probably going with monster towers, but im just wondering how many of your towers has caused gel coat cracking or what additional steps did you take to prevent it from cracking?
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-15-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
I've had a titan series I on my '93 ski nautique for about 150 hrs...no issues...
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-15-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
You can call Monster Towers. They have some great customer service (IMO) and they will tell what you need to do. For the start, you will need to make sure that the area's where the tower will meet the gelcoat/fiberglass and re-enforce those areas but Monster will tell you what you need to do.

Good luck.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-15-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
matt- take the money and buy a nautique...or when you mount your tower take some fiberglass resin and wood and reinforce it underneath....larsons dont have very thick fiberglass to begin with...i would beef it up without a doubt.
Old     (glasshouse)      Join Date: May 2007       08-15-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
whats weird is my dealer doesnt even beef it up, the 2007 larsons are offered with towers but the dealers install them, and they just add wood backers... and a nautique would be nice if i could afford it, i was looking into vandeveres demo iride, but that was going to run me 330 a month. if i could find an inboard with a tower, for 200 a month and get out of my loan i would do it. but for now its all i got.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-15-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
Have you checked out the Fly High Pro X series crossbar Tower?
Its a sick tower for the money and the only tower in the industry made of stainless steel.
Here is a link:
http://www.fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighProducts.html#2
Old     (cgoode)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-15-2007, 2:38 PM Reply   
I wanted to put a wake tower on my crownline boat and the dealer said that any tower put on that the factory did not put on wile building the boat would void the hull warranty. even if the dealer put it on. they took my hull number to see if it could support a tower. havn't herd back yet. if i do get one, it will probably be a monster tower.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-15-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
matt wood works but beef it up with some fiberglass...ounce of prevention
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-15-2007, 4:53 PM Reply   
Never thought of using wood. I just put 3 layers of epoxy mat about 4 times larger than the backing plates of my tower. Maybe I will throw in a piece of wood on top of that
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-15-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
I uses 3/4 in plywood backing plates for my joystick tower. Three years and no sign of cracking.
Old     (krisz)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-15-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
I have roswell tower on my larson, dealer installed it and so far no cracks.Upload
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-17-2007, 1:53 AM Reply   
Depends on how rough the water gets where you run, how well the hull is reinforced, how much crap you hang on your tower, etc. My gelcoat did spider with a custom tower I had built. It also depends on the style of mounts that attach to the hull, solid or floating/heim joint style. Floating usually means the tower shakes around more but less stress on the hull, solid = less shake and more stress.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-17-2007, 5:39 AM Reply   
Go for it!!! Now when I look at boats, they look half naked without a tower and the storage benefits of towers/racks are enormous, especially for smaller I/Os.

I did a self install on a tower for my 2nd I/O and didn't have any cracks after 3 or 4 years of fairly heavy use, including pulling doubles. Just be generous with your backing material and do not pull a bunch of tubes from it and you should be OK.

<edit> I had the helm style joint and really didn't have any rattling or shaking.

(Message edited by bmartin on August 17, 2007)