Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
What kind of jack does everyone keep with them in the event they have a flat tire on the trailer? I have a Supra 24 SSV and it is fairly heavy. I have used the jack from my Toyota Tundra on my last boat, but I do not think it is heavy enough.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-27-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
I just bought one like this because it was cheap ($25) and very lightweight. Boat is in storage so I don't know if it fits my trailer yet.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGM4WK/ref=nosim/?tag=nextag-sg-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B000BGM4WK&linkCod e=asn
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-27-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
If the one that comes with your vehicle fits under one side of the axle it will work. There is some margin of error built into vehicle jacks. Just make sure nothing is going to roll, and the lift is straight.

Funny how many people carry a spare for their boat, but do not have a jack that will work, nor a lug wrench that fits.

Jack the axle up. Remove the wheel. Tie axle to frame. Lower jack and drive to your destination, on three wheels.
Old     (johnw)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-27-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
Carry a 4X6 block of wood with a 60 degree bevel (ramp) cut in one end (I usually tow with my rv so I have some wood with me). Drive trailer up onto block using the good tire and leave the flat tire hanging. Must have a lug wrench and spare if not check peter c's post above. Also this assumed you have at least a two axle trailer.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-27-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
I got a cheapie scissor jack from Walmart, my F250 jack won't go under the axle.

This is a good post, everyone should check to see if their tow vehicle jack can actually get under the axle of their boat trailer.

Peter also brings up a good point about tying the axle to the frame. If you ever blow a hub or bearing, you will need to remove the rim and tie the axle to the frame and limp it home. Maybe a heavy duty strap, strap clamp, or piece of chain just in case.

Have heard of folks carrying an extra hub with bearings just in case.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-27-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
I got a flat and since I hadn't test my jack, it didn't work because it wasn't tall enough. Luckily, I found a big rock and drove the good tire up on it. Since then, I screwed together three 2x6's on top of each other and staggered them to sort of form a ramp. This time I tested it on my driveway and it works great. Just drive the good wheel up on it and you're golden. Gramps gave me the idea.
Old    swass            03-27-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
Yeah, what the hedoublehockeysticks is up with proving an OEM jack that won't get the gall dern vehicle high enough off the ground? My stock jack would get the truck up high enough to get the flat tire off, but not the inflated tire back on. That's just effin wrong. I now carry a floor jack and jack stands in my bed box.
Old    swass            03-27-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
providing
Old    alanp            03-27-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
i actually keep a big floor jack in my explorer now. since i use the vehicle for nothing other towing the boat its really not an inconvience to keep in in there. and is makes life MUCH easier.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-27-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
I was towing my boat behind a u-haul from California to Texas. I blew out a tire in Freakin Gallup, New Mexico. (Getting my Kicks on Route 66). Well I had a jack from a 93 Silverado. Worthless P.O.S.( The Jack). I unhitched the boat and drove to Wal-Mart and bought a 3-1/2 ton floor jack for $60. I will take it with me on long trips from now on.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200303997_200303997

Upload
Old    walt            03-27-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
I carry a floor jack,star wrench,plug kit and compressor.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-27-2007, 4:36 PM Reply   
Check your tire stems regularly. On boat trailers they tend to get dry rot very quickly. When they fail, it can cause a blow out even if the tires are fine. Very dangerous, but very easy to prevent.

Also, Peter C is right, check your tire iron to be sure it fits the lug nuts on your trailer. Often the tow vehicle and the trailer have different sized nuts.

(Message edited by lakeski on March 27, 2007)
Old    swass            03-27-2007, 4:43 PM Reply   
Sorry, I didn't mean to answer "buy a Ford" to your "what Chevy should I buy?" question.

I use the floor jack on the trailer, too.