Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (kylewake)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-14-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
Does anyone know why wakeboarding was pulled out of the x-games this year?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-14-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
because it was to expensive to have a seperate venue and there wasn't a lot of support for it.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       12-14-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
Because Travis Pastrana didnt want to compete.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-14-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
well said jon.

also, I think it was mainly the lack of money that stopped wakeboarding from being in the x-games this year. Also was the only event which was like away from all the others. Ralley car raceing was one of the sports that took wakeboardings place, now thats harderly extreme is it?

On the other hand they did have a sick pool gap thing in the car park which apprently did have some big crowds. ruck won the wakeboarding and reed one the skating.

To be honst i dont think wakeboardings main event will ever come back to the x-games now which is a big shame as it was good for our sport.

cheers
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-14-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
uckf x games
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-14-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
Because WakeBoaring and Wakeboarder are way to cool, they were making all the other competitors look like kooks!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-15-2006, 10:52 AM Reply   
X-Games should change their name to The Mainstream Games....

(Message edited by byrd on December 15, 2006)
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-15-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
Ex-Games
Old     (kaesensuyderhoud)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-15-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
there doing a winch jam in the X games now. plus it will acually be ON SITE now instead of like 45 minuts away from everything ellse. haha
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-15-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
Read Danny Harf's interview in the new Alliance, he puts a different spin on it.
Old     (kylewake)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-17-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
thats so crap thats its out it was the best event by far
Old     (wakerider3989)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-17-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
what i would like to know is why they always have it in LA, why dont they switch up the venue each year so they could include wakeboarding they could probably attract larger crowds if they did that too which means more money for them so they would be happy since thats obviously all they are after...
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-17-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
they signed a contract with the venue (much like they've done with the winter x games) to hold the event at said venue for x number of years (I can't remember what the time period was anymore). That's why they don't move every two years anymore.
Old     (tidalwake0504)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-17-2006, 11:53 PM Reply   
So does that mean that MC will no longer put "Towboat of the X-Games" on the back of X-stars?
Old     (ronnie1978)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-18-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
Did anyone watch surfing in the X games? It was not on site either, I think it was actually in Mexico. The cool thing about surfing is that it was a team event. Why not do wakeboarding the same way east vs west in a team event.

Just a thought.
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-18-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
east coast vs west coast would be pretty cool ronald
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-18-2006, 10:44 AM Reply   
ron said, "Why not do wakeboarding the same way east vs west in a team event?"
because the east coast would kick the wests coast ass!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-18-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
joshmoe, that's interesting, and you're probably right. but i have a question.

if rules for the x-games is the same for any international tournament, then the athletes compete for the country for which they represent. and the athletes usually represent the country that they were born, such as yao ming playing for china, even though he lives in the u.s. if that's the case, does that mean danny harf would have to compete for the west, since he's from cali?
Old     (ronnie1978)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-18-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
Or you could have a US vs International with chad sharpe rusty malinowski and the aussies against the US. It doesn't have to be the X games why not just have something like that anyway people to watch the ryder and davis cup.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-18-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
I think the surfing event may have even been held well in advance of the actual x games. Don't quote me on this, but I thought it went on like a week ahead of time or something.

The x games are different now. I didn't get to watch them this year, but after flipping through a skate mag, it looked like they had an amazing street course with great representation and it was hardly on TV (again, according to the mag). it seems like they're certainly catering to a different audience if they blew off what got them there in the first place, all in exchange for events like "rally car racing" or whatever the DC team is all into these days...
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-18-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
Good call Joe, I think Mr. Murray is a left coaster also.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-21-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
I just spoke with the Director of Marketing for the X games. she told me that they have not finalized the medaled event sports yet for 2007. she mentioned they have received lots of interest from the wakeboarding community, but they are just not sure yet. keep your fingers crossed. it is not hopeless just yet.
by the way, I gave her crap for the whole rally car racing thing.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            12-21-2006, 2:51 PM Reply   
Yep Mr Murray is from Mission Viejo California.