Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-06-2005, 5:02 AM Reply   
You gotta be kidding me. Josh Sanders stomps the pro tour this year and isn't on the list while Parks struggles to make it out of the first round and is first? Shaun Murray is an obvious legend and all around amazing person but he hasn't been riding. Byerly hasn't rode a wakeboard seriously for years! Chad and Shane don't have the tricks to beat Josh. Watson hasn't seen the podium. I don't want to hear a bunch of junk about freeriding all these guys can kill it without pressure but Josh killed it when it counted. Josh joins a list that includes Parks,Shaun,Darrin, and Ruck, to win the title over the past ten years. Seven of the ten haven't won a title at all. I hope OBrien starts cranking out some videos of this guy so he can get the respect he has earned!
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-06-2005, 5:26 AM Reply   
i guarantee that if he wasnt on obrien hed get way more respect...
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-06-2005, 5:50 AM Reply   
I totally agree, he made my top 10 without a doubt. I love to watch him ride.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-06-2005, 7:17 AM Reply   
Guys, the riders poll is just that, pretty much a popularity contest. I agree, Sanders & Watkins are way underrated, deserve much more.

(Message edited by Socalwakepunk on September 06, 2005)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-06-2005, 7:40 AM Reply   
we debated this already. I agree with you. I didn't mention Sanders, you're totally right.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-06-2005, 7:50 AM Reply   
The lack of respect that the O'Brien riders get is the same as the lack of respect O'Brien boards get!! Starting with the Demented then the Valhalla and now the Natural and the Vice O'Brien has been cranking out some of the best riding wakeboards out there. It's just that they don't really market the stuff very well or at all. Hands down, HL, is the best at marketing it's stuff, followed by LF and then CWB. Maybe someday O'Brien will get with the program and promote there Riders and there products, especially since they got 1 and 2 on the pro tour!!

Later,
jjakober
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-06-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
The riders poll is a marketing poll. Nothing to do with skill.

I find it funny that Kevin Henshaw got rookie of the year when Gabe Lucas placed higher on the tour..
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-06-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
Kelly, Thats the dumbest thing anyone has ever said on a Post, Ever!
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-06-2005, 10:45 AM Reply   
Sanders was near the top of my list and I wasn't even considering his Pro Tour rank. That guy rips.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-06-2005, 12:09 PM Reply   
I agree with Matt.

Andy - I agree with you too, but Kellan's statement is true.
Old    cwbabsolute1080            09-06-2005, 3:09 PM Reply   
I think that ausies have no style so people rarly like them... I would rather watch Shane Bonifay ride for 5 minutes then one of them aussies ride at all. Just my opinion
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-06-2005, 3:13 PM Reply   
The unfortunate reality is the mags have a ton of control on which riders and brands are in your face the most. WB Mag is pretty good at being diverse but Alliance is the same ten guys in every mag. If it's not the same guys, it's the same brands. I've always said Alliance is an LF and HL product catalog.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-06-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
its riders choice not whos the top rider on tour... thats what tour standings are for. watkins is a great rider for pumping out tricks but i personally dont want to watch a video part of his vs. say like Watson.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-06-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
same thing with Henshaw.... id much rather watch him ride over gabe lucas..... i would have picked Chris O'shea though over any of them... hes an aussi that rips.
Old     (off_axis_5)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-06-2005, 5:14 PM Reply   
If you came to Aus you'd know that we have some riders who have style! You ever seen Mark Kenny ride? He had the most style out of anyone. I've riden with Chris O'shea and Ike and who said they don't have style? They rip as much as anyone. Even a method roll to blind from Watkins makes me think style. Harley Clifford, 13 year old aussie grom. He'll be one of the best, look him up. Dean smith! He rips. Aussies have a massive fanbase over here just like you guys. Every rider over here has the respect they deserve. As for Sanders... Well I can say that the riders on the pro tour are judged on a thing called style. Ike, watkins and Sanders rock but they aren't the only aussies who wakeboard.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-06-2005, 5:29 PM Reply   
DeanO, ChrisO, Ike... they all do rip. But i've actually chilled with those guys and, not taking away from the fact they all three rip, I wonder how much that affects how much intrest I put in watching them ride. DeanO for sure cause he tumble turned every turn at OWC and thats just funny! But I'd still rather watch Watson, Chad, Shaun, Henshaw, O'Brien, Hopkins... guys like that then Sanders or Watkins. Those guys are great riders and proof of that is pro tour standings... Im still sticking behind riders choice standings though.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-06-2005, 5:31 PM Reply   
to bring up the 'freeride' comment.... Can we get a riders choice top ten on just 'freeride' aspect. Im gonna go ask Dave! What do you all think about it?
Old     (off_axis_5)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-06-2005, 5:39 PM Reply   
That's fair. I'd stick with riders choice standings too. but saying that "aussies don't have style so people rarely like them"? what? Everyone has their own opinions i suppose but that's saying that all aussies don't have any style. not cool. hey! That's saying I don't have style! haha.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-07-2005, 6:42 AM Reply   
Paul that a good idea, free ride. We would see poeple like Vandall, and Necrasson showing up in the top ten.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-07-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
Yeah, how is it that Sanders can pull a slob 9, Watkins a method backroll to blind, and you say they have no style. Those of you screaming no style need to work on your single wake indy slap.