Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (boofer)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-25-2005, 9:43 PM Reply   
We are the family you love to hate. We bought a 2005 Mastercraft X-2 at the end of last year and none of us had ever wakeboarded. We would go skiing on our old boat any chance we could. We wanted a better made boat. We decided to buy quality. But, instead of buying a pure ski boat we decided to go for a wakeboard boat because I knew it was only a matter of time before we would want to wakeboard. Well, I came across a deal too good to pass up (another story entirely). I did hours of reasearch on wakeboards and bindings and finally bought one for the wife and I and one for my 8 year old daughter. Today was our first attempt.

I strapped on the board first. It took me 3 tries to get up. The power push took some tweaking. Having been an avid skateboarder in my yesteryears, I was able to ride farely well once up.

My wife went next and was up on her first try (due to my expert driving abilities, lol). Although she could not stay up longer than a minute or so, she was getting up right off the bat.

Now, my 8 year old daughter. She has gotten up on training skis with the bar on them and can ride for a long time. She has never been able to get up without the bar yet. So, we strapped her in to her board and she was up and riding for 30 seconds or so on her first try. She was flabbergasted just like her mom and dad. Each and every time after that she was up on the first go and managed to ride for around a minute. Putzing around on daddy's skateboard has paid off.

I am so proud of my wife and my daughter. I am also happy that the $$$ we paid is going to be worth every cent. We cannot wait to get out again. It is not often that we are have to come in because the sun is setting.

I know that we are "newbies," but I wanted to put in writing how proud I am of my family. Our 3 year old son, who does not know how to swim yet, was wanting to try; maybe next year.

Take Care!!!
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-25-2005, 10:13 PM Reply   
Jim, welcome to the sport...enjoy, its a kick no matter what level you ride at
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-25-2005, 10:21 PM Reply   
welcome to the sport and the never ending quest to get the "best" board/bindings/rope/handle!

great story!
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-26-2005, 6:32 AM Reply   
james where do live?
Old    sbvfive            06-26-2005, 7:26 AM Reply   
James, awesome story!! No one on wakeworld will "love to hate" you just because you can have a nice boat before ever riding....there are no rules saying that beginners can't have X-2's. 99% of wakeworld will be stoked for you, and the other 1% doesn't matter. All that is important is that as you learn the sport, you learn it respectfully. You sound like you know whats up, so as long as you don't throw power turns in front of other riders, pull tubers in s turns in the calmest spots of the lake, or have a bad attitude in general, I think you'll find lots of friends within wakeworld and the wakeboarding community!! Especially with a boat like that....haha
Old     (fyrdawg)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2005, 1:45 PM Reply   
James, what better way to get into the best family sport there is!! How often can you go out with the clan and have a great time. Anyway who cares if you do it behind a quality boat. Have fun and go big. Next time show us some pics of the smiles.
Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-27-2005, 9:13 PM Reply   
James,
My family too had never been wakeboarding or owned a boat in our lives and went out and bought an 05 Supra 21v. My wife did not want me to do it but now she is hooked. Jusy yesterday I was sleeping in the afternoon after painting the house and she woke me up and said lets go wakeboarding. I got up on my third try and already had to buy a better board and bindings. My son was up on his first couple of trys but can't stay up. My wife can get up but is not comfortable with the wake. We've been camping with people we met on wakeworld. Every one wants to help out that is great. We have just over 21hrs on our new boat. Noone around here thought we would use it that much in 2 1/2 month. Just maybe one afternoon a weekend. We can't wait to get out all week long. Your story sounds so close to ours!. Where do you live? Good Luck.
Old    robertt            06-28-2005, 7:01 AM Reply   
Hey, Robert T, this is RobertT.

This freaked me out! I was wondering if I was completely nuts, multiple personalities...

Whew, I just noticed the space after Robert on your screen name which differentiates us.

Sane for one more day:-)
Old     (boofer)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-30-2005, 9:49 AM Reply   
It really makes me feel good to read everyone's reply. I wish that the rest of the world was as kind.

An update. I am starting to jump a little, crossing about half of the wake and got to experience my first face plant......ouch. The wife and daughter are staying up for long stretches now and working on crossing the wake. I think that the daughter might be a natural switch-footer. I wish that I had learned to ride a skateboard this way.

As of right now we are running with no ballast. Although, I am experimenting with filling the ballast and seeing the effect. I am amazed at how sensitive the wake is to small changes in weight or where people sit. The rope length is around 65 feet. In an effort to help the wife/daughter to cross the wake I am considering going to 75 feet to get them in to a smaller wake. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We live in Knoxville, TN. Right now we are boating on Fort Loudon because it is close and we get more time on the water. Yes, it is not the cleanest water, but as any mom or dad here knows it is a small feat to get loaded up. We try to go both days on the weekend and on Wednesdays and we put in at Concord (great place, but a madhouse on weekends). Anyone got any lake property with a lift they want to sell?

My job as a national guard pilot does not pay all that well but we are making ends meet (barely). Anyone need a pilot for their corporate jet?

We forgot the camera, but we plan on getting some pictures/video ASAP.

Take care!!!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-30-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
Shorten the rope for the ladies. It puts them at a narrower part of the wake where it shouldn't be crumbling this will be easier on them. Don't let them out. I'm semi-advanced and ride an X-2 at 80 feet when the thing is fully loaded at around 24 mph. You only wanna go longer if you are clearing the wake with ease. Personally I'd say keep everyone at 60 feet and start messing with the ballast for you, leave it alone for them. Don't forget to weight the nose, the X-2 needs a nice even weight distribution around 60-40 back to front. Once you clear thewake at 60, let it out five feet and go from there until bam you are riding at 80 and killing it wake to wake from both sides. Don't forget about toeside!! or switch or....always having fun!!!! Welcome, there's nothing finer than a young family out enjoying the lake together. It's the only reason I still talk to my Dad, jk.
Old    foamy            07-01-2005, 8:44 PM Reply   
hey welcome to the sport of wakeboarding. keep riding
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-01-2005, 9:04 PM Reply   
James, great post.

It reminded me of myself in the year 2000. Back then, I bought my BU VLX having only wakeboarded twice with total rookies behind an IO without a tower, with a stretchy rope and with sandal bindings.

You should probably get yourself a good instructional DVD like "higher education" from www.bumpfilms.com. This way you won't get as many bad habits in body position and wake approach.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-02-2005, 11:00 AM Reply   
great story James....it only gets better from hereno..seriously..our family feels the same about getting out. It is such an awesome family sport and you have a great time no matter what age or ability level you are at...that's the beauty of it. My daughter got me off 2 skis and on a wakeboard. This is my 3rd summer and I am hooked. My 9 year old went from the trainer skis to a wakeboard 2 summers ago. Have your wife check out the website www.momsonboards.com. Ride on!!! PS this is me last month (I'm 51)

Old     (boofer)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-02-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
Looking good G.

Well, I finally managed to remember the camera. So, here goes nothing.

Wife
Wife

Daughter up...
Daughter up

Dauhter down, lol
Daughter down, lol

The crew
The crew

(Message edited by boofer on July 02, 2005)