Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-25-2007, 5:22 AM Reply   
We have decided to upgrade from our old 86 inboard. And was wondering the differences between the Vdrive and Idrive. I've heard the Vdrives are a lot harder to work on for basic maintenance and all around maintenance. Is this true. The two boats we are looking at is the Tige's 21i and 21V both are used with low hours.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-25-2007, 6:04 AM Reply   
The i is just a tige thing. It is actually D-drive or direct drive. Here is a link and maybe some others will give their input.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/503467.html?1190654022
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-25-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
V-Drives are tight, but not that hard to work on once you get the tanks out of there.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-25-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
Didn't you just have a post about these boats? I own a 21V ( Have since 2001) and working on it is fine. Getting the impeller out is tough, but you only need to do that once every couple of years. Oil Changes, plug changes, fliters- no problem.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-25-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
Often the hull is the same for a D-drive and a V-drive by the same manufacturer. You want to check that. If they are different the D will be aimed at skiing and the V at wakeboarding. If they are the same hull the only difference is the weight distribution and use of space.
When you drive those two boats empty you'll notice the 21i is nicer but when you weight them the same they will drive the same. More weight on the back makes for a steeper wake. That's why V-drives make good wakeboard boats. You have to add weight to the back of the D-drive to make up for 800 lb. of engine back there.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-25-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
Yes I did have a post about those boats. With respect to the wakes and opinions. I am wondering now about maintenance, I have heard that Vdrives are tough and wanted to know about peoples opinions. By the sounds of it...might take a little longer but not much of a difference. So thanks, hopefully my next post will be something like...my new(to me) boat...thanks again for the opinions...
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-25-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
V-drives are not that much more difficult to work on; IMO that shouldn't be a factor in the decision.

From the advice in the link - no inboard is good at docking, and I've never really noticed a difference between V/D as far as docking. They all just go one way in reverse. You get used to it quickly, and won't really even notice. The only time it's a real drawback is if you're using it to tow or move something like a dock or houseboat.

Some other things to consider - Vdrives hold resale better, and the ability to have most or all added weight hidden, and still have some storage too. The big rear sundeck is also really nice to have.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-25-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
I think the biggest difference is how versatile you want your boat to be.

I have owned both direct drive and currently own a V drive.

I do find the the direct drive far easier to work on as a do it yourselfer.

A direct drive is also nicer to drive when un-weighted and just wanting flat out top speed and handling.

Another benefit to the direct drive... I found that it was easier to keep towels, passengers.. etc dry because the riders were just using the back portion of the boat and not having to sit where other passengers were sitting.

Oh yeah.. one last thing about the direct drive... the rider doesnt have to climb over all of the upholstery on the rear sundeck.

As for V drive... great social seating area.

Feels more wide open.

Better storage.. or areas to hide additional ballast

At this point... better resale value... and I also heard that current production levels are... 90% v drives vs 10% direct drives...

As for some reality...

If you have a....

the exact same hull....

assuming motor weighs 700lbs.
and full tank of gas is 300lbs.

V-Drive - you have 700lbs in the rear and 300lbs in the mid ship and rear storage to add more ballast.

Direct drive - you have 700lbs midship and 300lbs in the rear and a storage locker you could add ballast to.

Some reasonable direct drives for wakeboarding purposes...

Early model Supra Launches kick up amazing wakes!

One of my favs... Tige 22i Type R. Cool seating and storage arrangement.

One of my locally built favs... Svfara 696. Unique in all aspects.

Hope this helps.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-25-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
I ditto HeHateMe comments:

I would like to add that I have had both types. I have currently gone back to the direct drive because I like to both Ski and wakeboard. One aspect I have noticed is the Bow rise, especially pulling at slower speeds is a lot better on a direct drive. I have to almost stand when I drive my bro's V drive to see over the bow whenever I pull his wife and kids.

It is definately a lot easier to work on a direct drive. (Especially changing the impeller) and I have the confidence to do scheduled maintenance myself now. Some dealers/service centers may charge you less for some maintence services because of the accessabilty of the Ddrive.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-25-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
I don't believe they are the same hull,at least looking at the pics. the 21i is a 2001 and the 2100V is a 1999...I guess I will have to test drive them. The wife likes the Vdrive, but she doesn't ski or board, the kids are too young to try either. But have friends that slalom, but most of the time we are boarding. Thanks again for the help. Hopefully I can test drive them and see.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-25-2007, 9:32 PM Reply   
If you have kids just learning you should try driving them as slow as you can and get a cleanish wake. If they fall at 12 MPH it's much more fun than if they fall at 18 MPH. Trim the bow down and have people in the bow instead of the back and you should be able to go slow. You're going to spend a lot of time dragging your kids as they grow.
It's just one more thing to look at in a demo.
I loved to demo boats. My wife hated it.
Hope you find a good one.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-25-2007, 10:45 PM Reply   
Yo Nick, I was looking into a Tige boat a few months back, and those two boats have completely different hulls from what I was told.
The v is wider, and also both boats have different wakes. Also watch out with bad construction on the 99.....just some stuff I noticed.

I got a Direct drive Malibu, with an open bow, plenty of room, works for us for now, but not the biggest wake in the world.

Maintenance is maintenance after the first time you do it. Pick the boat out based on your uses, or cost, not maintenance.

Good Luck.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-26-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
Jason, like what type of stuff. Any recommendations on what to look for or where to due inspections? I am hopefully checking them out Fri 28th. We live on a small lake so starting to wonder if the Vdrive will be too much boat.