Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (victory07rdr)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-14-2009, 6:23 PM Reply   
How difficult is it to buff the shine back into a boat? I don't want to put swirl marks in it, but it has very minor discoloration. It's a white and black MB 190. Any tips, products to use, etc? Thanks guys
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-14-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
Start with the most basic color restoration products. I really like 3m Imperial rubbing compound and finishing product. Followed by gloss and wax.

If that imperial compound doesn't do what you're looking for, go with a heavy duty rubbing compound. And get a good buffer, and a wool buffer pad and that will help remove the oxidation.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-15-2009, 5:58 AM Reply   
its really not that hard let the buffer wheel do all the work. We are just going through this for the seadoo.

However compound will dull the black at first as it is pretty gritty....there are a variety out there it is easy to get one thats to strong. after you would polish or paint cleaner first and then polish.

If your disccoloration is minor start with a lighter wax first....maybe the polish will get rid of the oxidation. If not go to a paint cleaner(a little more abrasive)....it would probably do the job. If not then you go to the rubbing compound.

From what it sounds I would likely right now just try a paint cleaner.....like eric says 3m is good.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-15-2009, 6:04 AM Reply   
here is a good link I found, tells all about what to use first ...up to the last resort

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance-articles/19883-recovering-shine.html
Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-15-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
I had real good results with Meguiar's #67 polish. Done by hand with not an incredible amount of effort. Burgandy boat.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+M6732

Frank

(Message edited by ftd on April 15, 2009)
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       04-15-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
Check out this thread, Zaino products look good, no personal experience though. Lots of info available on this site, search and you shall find.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/393125.html
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-15-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
FLITZ!!

we used it on our old boat. works like a charm. use that, then wash it like you normally would.
then put turtle wax ICE on it. then take it off (obviously) and then use the green babes boat, i cant remember what its called. doing those will make your boat look great
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-16-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
If you're using a traditional buffer be careful of decals and upholstery and rubrail, you could potentially burn them.
I just did my boat with a porter cable dual action 7424 with a yellow buffing pad and a somewhat aggressive compound, PoorBoys 2.5. With the dual action I didn't have to worry about burning the upholstery in the areas where the upholstery butted up to the hull or rub rail. Probably could have gone a little more aggressive with the compound but the boat feels like butter.

Chris
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (xxavalanchexx)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-23-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
if a good buffing compound doesnt work then i would go with a light sandpaper then after you sand it a little bit then buff it and then wax it.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-23-2009, 6:00 PM Reply   
I bought a fixer-uper a year or so ago.the back transom really faded.I went with wetsand 1000grit-3m compound w/buffer-3m finess-it 2 w/buffer-maguries premium boat wax by hand.came out GREAT and is holding up quite well.the wetsanding was the key i have compound and wax before and it faded right back in about a month month and a half.You can really feel the results of the wetsanding while you doing it.