Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (l7wakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-09-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
My buddy had the boat out last weekend and apparently it took a dump on him. This is what he said: "Yea it ran fine once it was running, and the weird thing is it just died when it was running and didn’t start after that. It would fart and sputter like it would want to start, or like it was flooded, but no matter what I did it just wouldn’t start."

So, any ideas for us to look at? Thanks for any help!
Old     (h2omantx)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-09-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
It sounds like water in the fuel.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-09-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
I has a similar problem and it turned out to be a combo of 2 things. A loose ground wire on the high pressure fuel pump (easy fix) and I also needed to replace my low pressure fuel pump.

It took me a long time to nail down the problem. but if you take it step by step and ask a few simple questions you can eliminate a lot of things

a) is there fuel getting past the pumps? if yes is their good pressure
b) is their spark getting to the engine?

etc. etc. you can nail down the problem. It was a postive experince cause I know a lot more about my boat.

PS it was a PCM GT-40 on an 01 Air Nautique
Old     (l7wakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-10-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
Well, we are going to replace the plugs and filters this weekend and see if that helps. I know it has to be either fuel or spark related, so once we get the spark issue elimianted we can try trouble shotting the fuel. Thanks for the help so far!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-10-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
"I know it has to be either fuel or spark related,"

That is a good start since that is all it takes to fire an engine...assuming it is not mechanical, which is rarely intermittent.

So which engine is it? Is it fuel injected or carbed? Ignition system type? Can he put it in clear flood mode and get it to start? <That would be wide open throttle. When it stalled was it a fast stall or a slow die? Did it die at idle or off idle? Answer those questions and feel free to add more info to them.

Start by draining the water separator or changing it if it is a canister. Make sure to pour the fuel into a glass and see if there is water in the fuel.
Old     (l7wakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-11-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
It is a carbed engine on a 92 Ski Ray. It usually starts up right away, but the last two weeks or so it has taken a couple more cranks with the throttle open to get it fired up. He was able to get it started after spraying some starter fluid in it and it ran all day saturday and sunday morning. After parking it at the party spot for a couple hours on sunday he wasn't able to get it started back up.