Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (blxboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-09-2006, 9:19 PM Reply   
how much does it cost to get a new interior on an older, closed bow nautique correct craft? I know you guys have some experience with this stuff, and I am looking at buying a boat that is fantastic, with a replaced engine and all, but it is in extreme need for an interior upgrade (carpet and seats). Any useful information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-10-2006, 12:45 AM Reply   
Anticipate $800 to $1400 for a full interior.
Also insist on seeing other work (besides Photos)
Sometimes cheaper isn't always better. Do your homework on the shop, and ask for references. Spend the time now and you will be much happier when the boat is done.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-10-2006, 3:37 AM Reply   
Its going to depend on your region, the shop you choose and how much of the work you can do yourself. We were quoted $1500 with new frames and foam, no carpet, interior dismantled (we bring them the seats/covers/panels) by a recommended shop. I figured carpet I can do myself for $300-500.

Careful though...if its an 80s nautique you may not like what you find under that carpet. If the PO let the interior get that bad you may be in for major floor work. Have the floor checked out thoroughly before you buy.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-10-2006, 6:50 AM Reply   
Good advise, Ryan. Lyle - make sure you check that floor carefully, because a rotton floor could mean rotton stringers. And you don't want any part of that.

Had my '78 interior done for $900, for the front seat, spotters seat and doghouse.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-10-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
I helped my son-in-law get their '95 Ski Nautique interior redone. No carpet, but all new vinyl- all surfaces. I bought the best material available and found someone who did it as a side job. With out having to replace any foam it was $350 for materials and $650 for labor. Turned out fantastic, like a new boat. You can order new skins from CC (the factory doesn't keep older patterns so you have to go thru Mid-West CC I think) and you will wait at least 4 months and probably spend $2500 or more.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-10-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
I tried the cheap route once, and I'll never do that again. The "marine grade vinyl and stitching" that they used started splitting the following year....

(Message edited by byrd on August 10, 2006)
Old     (blxboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-10-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
alright, sounds good. Mike and Ryan, do you guys know what the easiest way to check the floor and especially the stringers for rot?? What part of the carpet is easiest to take up and check for that kind of stuff? Thanks. I can probably do the carpet myself, I'm a pretty good do-it-yourself kind of craftsman, but I have no idea how to do stitching and all that stuff.
Old     (blxboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-10-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
P.S. if I do buy this boat, I am going to need a whole lot of advice throughout the winter! I am going to do sort of a vote for this or that kind of thing for what color I should pick on exterior/interior, what tower I should pick(speakers etc.). It will be kind of a wakeworld picked and voted build for a pretty tight budget. Sounds good? thought so. haha, I will also be looking on the classified ads section for stuff such as used fat sacs and what not once I get to that point. Hope this all turns out good.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-10-2006, 7:31 PM Reply   
Lyle, you can see the stringers when you open the doghouse. The motor mounts are bolted to it. They'll have a whiteish appearance - back then, CC did use wood, but they also covered the wood with a fiberglass material of some sort. You'll see it there.

Have a look at the stringers there. Any flaking, cracks or chipping is probably not a good sign. Also, tighten the motor mounts with a wrench - they should still bite tightly. The floor is a little tougher to check - basically walk every inch of it and try to feel for soft spots. There should be no squeaks. You can peel the carpet back a little under the doghouse too. Have a look there.

If you're deadset on buying an older Nautique, buck up $150 for a marine survey. Certified marine surveyors have equipment that can tell you whether the floor/stringers/hull is sound or not. It's not that much money, and can save you thousands in the long run.

Also...
http://http://www.planetnautique.com/CorrectCraftManuals/2001.htm

There, how's that for some tips? Hope that helps. Good luck.
Old     (blxboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-10-2006, 8:11 PM Reply   
Thanks mike, i am going to go ahead and look up a marine surveyor tomorrow. I am pretty deadset on buying an older nautique, they seem like the best boat for the price along with the wake. I'll probably start up a new thread pretty soon on this boat sayin if I ended up getting it or not. That reminds me, are they the best boat for the price? just wondering