Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-10-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
Right Now Im around 100-120 watts/channel. I have heard good success with around 150 watts RMS/channel.

I can get a deal on a 400 watt RMS amp, but Im wondering if I am pushing it too much with 200 watts/channels to these speakers.

For those running them, what kind of power do you have going to them, and what are your thoughts?
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-10-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
Matt-

From our perspective, it is better to have a little too much power than not near enough. I will not go into super deep detail, but I would rather see you running a 200 - 250 watt amplifier with the KMT6 instead of a 50 watt amp. For a given volume of performance, the 50 watt amp will clip and distort a lot sooner, and clipping distortion causes excess heat and other nasty things to happen to a speaker.

Assuming your 400 watt RMS amp is a good clean solid amp, it should run a pair of KMT6 with total ease.

Just remember to turn on the hi-pass crossover!

Good luck and let us know!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-10-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
KX450.2 is what I got on mine. It's been running great. I actually have had pretty good luck with the kicker amps I have ran over the years. I did get an RA number for a KX600.1 that I am going to drop off in Stillwater today though. First kicker amp I have had that went kaput on me. But damn I bought it in 2003 and have been pushing it hard since so I'm thinking that's pretty good. I don't think it will be to much to gt it repaired either.

(Message edited by bjeremi on April 10, 2009)
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-10-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
thanks guys
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-10-2009, 8:55 AM Reply   
Phil

Any drawbacks to running in mono instead of stereo. The amp I was looking at would do 400 watt rms bridged to 2 ohm mono. I dont think I would see any benefit over 2ch vs mono @ 75ft out wakeboarding do you?
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-10-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Matt-

Mono bridging is largely understood by most folks; it seems like something that gets you more power for free, but it usually doesn't. In this instance there is exactly zero benefit. You have to look at the amp, AND the load you intend to place on it; the load you place on the amp determines the output...

In this scenario, two KMT6 speakers in parallel is a 1.5 ohm load. That is too low an impedance for the amplifier to safely operate into. So, in order to run the amp in bridge mode, you will wire the KMT6 in series, providing a 6-ohm load for the amp.

For a bridged amp, each amp channel "sees" half of the total applied load, in this case 6 ohms total, or 3 ohms per channel. Three ohms per channel is what you would be operating at if you were to simply connect one speaker to each amp channel.

I probably did not fully qualify your original post. You say you can get a deal on a 400W RMS amp, but I failed to ask what impedance per channel it takes to get the amp to deliver 400 watts. an amp running into an open load, (i.e. no speakers connected) makes exactly zero power mathematically...

Let's look at your amp a little more. What is its power output into 4-ohms per channel?
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-10-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
Nevermind Phil, I was reading it wrong. I was so used to the Class D series from JBL that I thought htis one did 2 ohms MONO bridge so it will not work. The power ratings were the same for 2 ohm stereo vs 4 ohm bridged.

I guess I am on the lookout for an amp now
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-10-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
Find a good ZX450.2 then!
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-10-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
I have a zx350.2, just curious, how much difference would a 450.2 make?
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-10-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
Ray, the ZX350.2 will make a little over 110 watts on average into the KMT6, as much as maybe 130.

Each KICKER amp goes through a battery of tests prior to shipping and includes a birth certificate with its actual measured power output documented on a birth certificate. Sort of like a dyno test if you will... The amp will always test out and score a higher power output than is nominally stated.

Kinda cool huh?

To answer your question, there will not be a huge difference gut the difference will be noticeable. Every little bit helps...

Phil
Kicker
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-10-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
Ray, the ZX350.2 will make a little over 110 watts on average into the KMT6, as much as maybe 130.

Each KICKER amp goes through a battery of tests prior to shipping and includes a birth certificate with its actual measured power output documented on a birth certificate. Sort of like a dyno test if you will... The amp will always test out and score a higher power output than is nominally stated.

Kinda cool huh?

To answer your question, there will not be a huge difference gut the difference will be noticeable. Every little bit helps...

Phil
Kicker
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-10-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
i run a kicker 650x4 on my kmt6 on 2 chanels and the other side in mono for my sub it rocks.
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-10-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
PHIL anytime yall need consumer testing give me a call ,I LOVE KICKER.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-10-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
Tony-

Why would we test consumers, you have a family physician, right?

Just kidding man, thanks for the kind words.

Have a great weekend, and get out on the water if you can!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-10-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
just droppedoff my amp at kicker. damn phil that new kicker building is NICE! My first time to the new one by boomer
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-10-2009, 2:18 PM Reply   
You shoulda hollered. I was sitting upstairs looking out the window, wishing I wan on the water...
Old     (webbgang)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-20-2009, 6:46 PM Reply   
OK gents I'm new here and need your assistance. I am considering the kicker kmt6 and need to know what size amp to get. I'm on a budget, as are most, and need the best quality for the buck (staying around $100). Are there any particulars I need to know about wiring it up, never done it before. Also what is a good deck for the buck. is a marine amp/deck a necessity? Thanks any assistance is greatly appreciated!!!
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-20-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
Gary, I am no expert, but I was in your position a year ago and ended up getting an older version of the kicker zx350.2 (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6570_Kicker+ZX350.2.html). The zx450.2 would be even better, but as you're trying to keep the costs down, the 350 will definitely do an adequate job. Marine decks and amps aren't really a necessity unless they are likely to get wet often, i.e. your HU is on your dash.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-20-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
Yeah Boomer would be a nice little glassy run for one boat at a time Phil. If I get a chance I'll stop by sometime would love to put a face with the name. I didn't know you actually worked at that location. Already got my amp back rebuilt for a nice low price (amp was so way out of warranty) . Got to love that customer service.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-21-2009, 6:07 AM Reply   
J-

Good to know you got the amp fixed! Boomer may need to see a boat of mine, soon. Not sure you want to put a face with a name; my mom has said I have a face for radio... Just kidding.

Gary-
Ray is right, the ZX450.2 is ideal, but the 350.2 will be okay. Check around, there are deals to be had.

Good Luck!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-21-2009, 7:09 AM Reply   
Hey Phil,

Do you keep birth certificates in your computer system from all the amps you test. I just bought 2 amps that are about a year old but they didn't come with the manuals or birth certificates. It would be sweet to know the power output they were actually tested at!
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-21-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
Hey Bill-

Sorry, we do not keep those records. It sure is nice for the consumer to have, and that is why we include it, but our primary goal and desire is to ensure that the amplifier measure and test above and beyond our base-line criteria. Anything beyond that is a bonus to you the consumer for sure... but does not serve a whole lot of purpose otherwise.

Sorry man!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
Phil I finally got my KMT6 hooked up and it sounds great. I am running them wired in series, mono on ch1&2 bridged. Amp is 125w/ch at 4ohms or 200w/ch at 2ohms. Amp is a Crunch 5ch linked: http://www.millionbuy.com/crup50005.html.

They sound great with amp set at 4ohm. Should I try it at 2ohm and see how it sounds? This way they would be overpowered instead of underpowered as you suggest. Right now the amp barely even gets warm so I do not think it will overheat.

HOW do I wire it to 2ohm???

(Message edited by wakemikey on April 21, 2009)
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-21-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
Hah! Hey WakeMikey-

You crack me up!!!

For your application there is really no way to "wire the amp to 2-ohms" You need two 4-ohm speakers wired in parallel to get to 2-ohms....

The KMT6 is a 3-ohm speaker, and as a result you are showing the bridged amp pair a 6-ohm load wired in series. Each amp channel is "seeing" a 3-ohm load; exactly the same load as if you just connected one speaker to each amp channel.

Actually, as I think about it, there IS a way to wire KMT6's to 2-ohms but it requires 3 pairs to get there...

Instead of running a series pair on a bridged mono amp, why not just try running them the normal way, with one on each amp channel.. You will get the exact same power out of the amp, and you will be in stereo...

Don't take my comments up top the wrong way, I am funnin' with ya... Let me know if you have any other questions!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
Yeah I am pretty much a stereo newb. :-)

When I see that my amp will drive 125w/ch at 4ohms or 200w/ch at 2ohms obviously I would like to get it to put out 200 instead of 125.

So basically my answer is like you said above,
"two KMT6 speakers in parallel is a 1.5 ohm load." So since my amp can only go to 2ohm, it's not really possible.

On the bright side with 3 ohms impedance instead of four the amp should be putting out a little more power than stated on the box, correct?

I am running the in mono because the tower wiring harness I have only has four wires, and I am also wiring a tower nav light. They sound just fine in mono, can't tell the difference.

Thanks again for your help. I will post some pics once the install is completed.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-21-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
Inorder to get the 2ohm power (using 2 4-ohm speakers) then you are then dividing the 200W's between the 2 speakers and each nets 100W's, thats less then 1 speaker per chnl.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-21-2009, 1:40 PM Reply   
Here's another way to look at it: if you wire 2 speakers to to a single chnl, they 2 speakers will then split what ever power the amp puts out. They dont each get what the amp puts out.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-21-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
WakeMikey-

Glad you took that in stride...

You are right, the 3-ohm impedance load will cause the amp to deliver a little more power; probably right around 150 which is what the KMT6 wants. 1.5-ohms is too low for most amps.

Tige-Mike is correct too... Any time you use two speakers to load an amp down to its max power, each speaker gets half the power.

The wiring issue makes sense too, I am a huge safety advocate and you need that light working man! You will be fine and delivering good power the way you have it wired now!

Love to see the pics, so by all means post them up when you get done!

Take care!

Phil
Kicker

(Message edited by philwsailz on April 21, 2009)
Old     (webbgang)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-21-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Phil. If if get the ZX450.2 is there any special way I need to hood it up? i.e. series/parallel? What HU do you recommend?

Thanks,
Gary
Old     (webbgang)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-21-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
I guess I should have proof read my previous post better. I meant to say If I get the ZX450.2 is there any special way I need to hook it up? i.e. series/parallel? What HU do you recommend?
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-21-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
Gary-

One speaker per channel is what you need to do with the KMT6. It is easy-sneezy simple.

Just remember, hi-pass crossover engaged, crossover frequency at 50 or higher, no bass boost...

I really don't recommend any head unit in particular, there are so many and some might have features you desire, while someone else might need or want something different from theirs.

I just recommend you not buy the retro 8-track at the truckstop... Something tells me you will be unhappy with it...

My pleasure!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-21-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
Theoretically you could use an Impedance matchign transformer, but then you need to spend $$ on one, and you will also loose some power in the form of heat, so the gains are minimal for this type of application.
Old     (webbgang)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-21-2009, 4:48 PM Reply   
Phil,

What do you know about HiFi Sound Connection? Says they have Kicker refurbished items that have a 90 day warranty and that they send the item to Stillwater for repair. I'm in Moore, OK. Is it worth it?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-21-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
what about the pioneer 5200t? I like the pioneer stuff but not sure about their amps. it is rated at 125 watts at 4 ohms but are the pioneer amps
at, above, or below rated power?
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-22-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
Gary - try resellerreviews.com. HiFi has recieved many horrible reviews. However, many people on these boards have purchased through them with no problems. Call them up and see if they answer the phone. Their ebay ratings are pretty good, though so I think they may actually care about their ebay ratings.