Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (wylitical)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-04-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
me i have no wakeboarding injuries the worst one i saw (or heard of) is this one guy got his shoulder dislocated.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-04-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
Worst one I've seen was a few weeks ago. I was riding with Shaun Murray and a few others. The last guy to ride that day was on the final set, we were on our way back to the dock. He cut out and jumped the wake, i think he did a scare crow. When he landed, he was directly in front of a pontoon boat that we were passing. He didn't look before he jumped and ended up jumping right in front of the boat. He was hit by the pontoon, it dug into his arm pretty bad and broke it. It scared the crap out of me.

He was ok after it was all over, he didn't even leave on the ambulance.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-04-2008, 2:36 PM Reply   
Be careful of what you ask for on this site.
I know your profile age is 11, but you should learn how to use " search".
It's a guarantee someone is going to post their injury and it's going to haunt you all season.
Old     (retrow)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-04-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
Injuries dont exist with wakeboarding. There are only the negative things of getting better. Never think about injuries, never ask about them. Go out, have fun, dont think about it and theres less chance they will happen to yourself.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-04-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
i would have to say the worse wakeboarding injury these days is filling up at the pump..
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-04-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
oh man....just wait till somebody breaks out the Byerly Boot Break.... lol this thread is just askin for it
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-04-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
Exactly what I was thinking Ben...

Whoever has it, don't post it. This kid will not want to wakeboard for the rest of the season! lol
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-04-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
I've seen some awesome face trauma. Hahaha, good times, I've had my fair share too.

Nothing serious on our boat as yet. I have a feeling I'm gonna be the first to go to hospital with a busted knee though... unless I work on it a lot more than I do now.

Never done my shoulder Wakeboarding but I've dislocated it playing Rugby, Aussie Rules, Volleyball and Basketball.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-05-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
You can get seriously injured wakeboarding but you can get seriously injured doing just about anything physical. A guy I used to work with broke his femur wakeboarding. He missed about a week of work and when he did come back was in a wheelchair for a while. I wasn't on the boat so I didn't see exactly what he was doing when it happened. You can't let something like that get to you though. Make sure you have good form and do whatever you can to minimize the odds of injury while still learning new things. Don't try to do things you're not ready for.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-05-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
oh man the kid who got ran over by the toon came away with only 10 stitches and a nasty scrape on his leg. That is one of my good buddies and he proved that you always have to be aware of your surroundings while ridding especially if there are a lot of other boats out cause most other boaters are not paying atten. It was his fault though. The sad part of it is that the kid lives on the river that we were on and the boat that hit him was his neighbor on the river. I am glad that the end result was only stitches though as he could have been killed.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-05-2008, 7:42 AM Reply   
If anyone wants to see pics of the byerly boot break I have them on my home PC. Also I have some pics of a very similar injury I had, but no gory ones unfortunately.
Old     (hyperlink)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-05-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
I broke my left leg one summer and my right the next, now they both bother the me about halfway through the season but I still love wave ramps!
Old     (wylitical)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-05-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
hey timmy why dont you post them and what is the byerly boot break.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       05-05-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   

quote:

what is the byerly boot break

Uh oh....
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-05-2008, 2:43 PM Reply   
yea, post up the Byerly boot break
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-05-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
dude,
this is no joke, i was on the dock waiting to ride so i was not IN THE BOAT, but listen to this

my bro went up to try an OA-5 which he'd been practicing majority of the summer, and took a hardy spill. The boat was around the bend of the island, so I could not see them picking up the rider. 5 mins went by, and I still had not seen the boat, another 5, and no site of the boat, i realized something must have been very wrong for taking this long to get back to the dock, (island bend is near)..so finally i see the boat heading back to the dock at idle speed, and my buddy was no where to be seen in the boat..so of course im like "uhh what the hell" so the boat finally gets closer and im yelling "where is nick?!"..they yell back on the platform-he can't get up..so im like oh man, must have been a good stinger..so the boat pulls back to the dock and we sit to let nick rest a minute, he is speechless with how hurt his groin was (figured he pulled something)..so i am getting antsy and say hey..stay on the dock for the next set so I can go ride, finally nick gets up holding his junk..runs into the bathroom and doesnt come out for another 10 mins..so his brother is driving us figures gotta make sure he's alright, so he goes up to make sure he is ok..and doesnt come out for another 15 mins..so here I am, strapped up ready to ride waiting for my driver, sweet. Finally I hope out of my bindings to go see what the deal is..go inside and check the bathroom where they were..i see a towel SOAKED in blood over nicks groin area..and robby (nicks bro) frantic saying "we gotta get him to the hospital"...

long story longer..
my buddy was riding the '06 CWB zues bidnings the the verticle hinge tech..he came down so hard on the back of his board that the binding clamp literally went through his boardshorts, into his...we're going to say "sack"...basically where the male jewels connect to your leg, SLICED open, causign him to lose a TON of blood, nick had to get over 100 stiches in his groin to sew him back up!!!

again this is NOT made up!

best part about this was ab. 5 weeks later he was back riding at our summer rail jam!

craziest wakeboard fall i know of!!!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-05-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
byerly boot break:

Upload
Upload
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-05-2008, 3:29 PM Reply   
Me (stiches are from where my leg ripped open)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-05-2008, 3:29 PM Reply   
wow thanks for the warning on that one :-)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-05-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
before and after surgery

Upload
Upload
Old     (zirb3l)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-05-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
thats ridicules yo

so did the boat break off the board?? was it a malfunction or did this happen to all of that boot?

(Message edited by zirb3l on May 05, 2008)
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-05-2008, 4:06 PM Reply   
Wow!!!! 2005 Shasta trip we had just docked the houseboat and went out in Buzz's VLX. There was a guy named Devin who had been boaring for years but hadn't boarded in about 3 years. He was the first to go. He was obviously pretty good and started getting the kinks out when the chicks in the boat started egging him on. He went for a front flip and anded it nice but when he landed he was really stiff and we all heard this snap. Anyway e broke his leg in 3 placs. The lame thing is I never got my money for the trip from him.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-05-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
Graphic.

Jake have you ever seen theres something about mary. that part where he "gets the beans on top of the frank" has nothin on those two stories.
Old     (zirb3l)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-05-2008, 4:23 PM Reply   
lol flight you better go collect dude!!
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-05-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
Dude, that is wicked. Good thing you had the missus there to hang on to your leg and make sure it didn't fall off. Nasty man.
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-05-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
and WYATT is going to have nightmares about his leg snapping in half tonight lol. (or maybe i will...)

timmy, i'm pretty sure i read it in a thread a while back, but how exactly did it happen?

(Message edited by marshk344 on May 05, 2008)
Old     (a907rider)      Join Date: May 2006       05-06-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
Dude... Jake... I believe your story. I saw it happen to my buddy, and I WAS on the boat. He landed hard and sat on his Zues's and the latch tore his ***** up. Huge rip! Lots of staples. But my buddy got himself back on the boat and sat through my brother riding his set before we noticed that he was looking all white and woozy. He reached up his wetsuit shorts when i asked him if he was okay and he actually stuck his finger into the wound up to the first knuckle. It came out covered in blood. thank god he was wearing the shorts to compress the wound so he didnt bleed out. And like a champ he grabbed his junk and said get me off the boat before I get blood on it. He got his staples and came right back to the cabin.

The silver lining to the horrible tale? He posted his story last summer when it happened using my profile and Doug Cannon from CWB wrote me asking me to give him a call. Well I did and CWB is hooking my buddy up with a brand new set of Zues's with the turned down latch. Major Major Props for CWB!!! Its so refreashing to see a company stand behind their product 100%.

I've read it on here before but I'll write it again.... CWB ROCKS!!! They deserve it.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-06-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
Wow, that Byerly boot break is SICK! As in both sick nasty and sick badass kind of thing. I have no doubt in my mind that that sucked, big time, but I bet that's one hell of a story to tell the kids eh? My dad used to love telling me about the time in Boy Scouts that he was cutting wood and missed the log, burying the axe in his foot... Go figure...

Anyways, a slightly less graphic but just as creepy image can be seen on Push Process, when Dallas Friday spiral fractured her leg off of the whirly bird at some competition... That was just weird lookin...

(Message edited by wakeboardern1 on May 06, 2008)
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-06-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
I think the Colby injury is a serious one IMO.

For me of what i saw from my eyes it was a skier he felt and another boat pass over him and cut his boat legs, 3 seconds laters all the water was red and full of blood, the guy wasnt supposed to walk anymore but he never wanted to listen to the doctors about that and 3 month laters he was walking without any help by himself.