Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-20-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
Went for a backroll and landed a touch on the tail toe edge that quicly took the whole front edge. I was spinning for 2 minutes and started to bleed post-nasaly. My head still hurts from it and I think this may have been worse than the time I blacked out. Bummer too because I just got the boat and I have been having lots of little problems with it and now this. I am starting to think the boat is cursed :-(

Oh well, if you want to make an omlet, ya gotta rattle your skull, I think. Wait, whut?
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-20-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
Hopefully you go to the doc and get some guidance. There are parameters they use for rest intervals with multiple head traumas.
Good luck.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-20-2009, 3:49 PM Reply   
I dont remember what the number is but after a certain amount of concussions your in serious trouble, id assume it has something to do with the fluids surrounding your brain and excessive skull pressure, I dont remember any specifics but you dont really want to be collecting concussions like baseball cards.

If you want to make an omlette, you gotta catch your edge on a backroll and bleed post-nasaly. then get eggs. [I whacked my head pretty good the other day too.]

(Message edited by hawk7 on September 20, 2009)
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-20-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
so those with concussions do you guys ride anymore at all? If its that serious...
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-20-2009, 4:53 PM Reply   
Wow, that's not fun. Damage can be cumulative. Lots of posts and debates about helmets here in the past, but mine works well for me. Lots of hard falls, no more concussions.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       09-20-2009, 5:02 PM Reply   
That sucks. I got one last tuesday (TS Backroll attempt, also caught ts edge, was at a different place in a different time for a little while), just wakesurfing now. Not bad either...
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-20-2009, 6:54 PM Reply   
I have had a good bit of concussions....most from wakeboarding....2 from getting hit in head while playing high school baseball.....95MPH fastball to head really hurt...from what ppl say i dont remember it lol....but the worst I have had from wakeboarding was bein blacked out for like 5 mins...but I still board...This sport is dangerous...and I take the good with the bad...just thank the good Lord that I have had no serious injury like ACL or anything
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-20-2009, 9:42 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine has a helmet. Maybe I should try it out and draw my own conclusions about it's effectiveness. :-) I understand the dynamics of it but it cant get much worse than what I did yesterday.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-21-2009, 12:05 AM Reply   
I was never really a helmet guy... didn't think it was a big deal. I've taken my fair share of falls and rattled the head enough, but nothing serious or even close to a concussion. But I decided to buy a helmet anyways, thought it would give me more confidence to try new stuff.

IT WORKS.. falls are like nothing now. I just got it and used it today for the first time.. wow. You don't get that hard smack on the back of the head whenever you bail backwards/sideways. My intention was to use it when trying out new tricks, but I will probably use it all the time now.

BTW I got the Berm Byerly helmet.. its awesome and it looks cool too.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-21-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
I just bought a helmet. I've had two concussions, one a long, long time ago where I blacked out in the water after a slalom fall and another last fall, not quite so bad but I didn't know what day it was or time of day for a while. These are no fun so, I'm going to see how the helmet thing goes.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-21-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
Don't want to turn this into a "to wear a helmet or not thread", but....my understanding is the concussion from watersports is caused by your brain salmming into your skull from sudden stopping/slowing down by the water. I would think wearing the helmet would give your melon more surface area causing it to even resist the water more when crashing into it? Not to mention the "scooping effect" it could have when entering the water face first? If your hitting rails/kickers....then a helmet is a must.
Old     (daren)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-21-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
I think a big part of it is the new non-releasable bindings. I bought some LF Transits but was getting worked hard so I went back to Ultra Suctions. Now when I catch an edge, I get released and my brain thanks me. I debated keeping the Transits and getting a helmet, but decided against the helmet.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-21-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
For me its simple, I used to crash without a helmet and it hurt a lot. I got a Pro Tec helmet and my crashes don't hurt as much. I think the only other argument against them beside chasin7's is that they are not considered cool...
Old     (kbob)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-21-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
Doing regular tricks, new tricks, and even just jumping from wake to wake has an uncertainty about it anyway you look at it...at some point your going to fall hard...we push the limits to see what we can pull off and for the rush...so why not wear a helmet. Any other high impact sport has helmets...why would wearing one be less cool. Just throw some decals on it if the cool factor bothers you that much! :-) I'm actually thinking of adding knee braces to go along with my helmet...heck...i might even get them different colors and be wild and crazy! Wakeboarding isn't a little girl sport...wear some protection...save yourself from concussions and knee surgery.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       09-21-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
YOURE STILL GOING TO GET CONCUSSIONS REGUARLESS OF WEARING A HELMET OR NOT. FOOTBALL PLAYERS GET THEM AND LOOK AT ALL THE HELMET THEY HAVE. A CONCUSION COME FROM THE FORCE OF IMPACT. IM ALL FOR HELMETS ON RAILS AND KICKERS AND IN RIVERS WITH LOGS AND STUFF, BUT JUST FOR WAKE RIDING ITS NOT REALLY GOING TO DO MUCH AS FAR A CONCUSIONS GO. UNLESS YOUR WORRIED ABOUT YOUR BOARD HITTING YOUR HEAD - NOT IMPOSSIBLE, BUT HIGHLY UNLIKLY. JUST MY 2C'S
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-21-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
I'd wear a helmet if I thought it was going to prevent concussions on the water, but I just don't see the evidence saying it does. I'm not worried about looking cool on the water, just out to have fun.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-21-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
I don't get why this has become the cyclical topic of the year. No one knows. There is no evidence for (according to those that don't think it helps), and there is no evidence against (according to people that wear them). No one knows. Simple as that. And since there is no evidence for, or against, choose your side and go with that. If you are suffering multiple concussions, maybe you should investigate it and try it out. If you charge your fully loaded wake without the proper position and technique, you're probably going to crash hard.

I don't wear one. But I am darn happy the love of my life does.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-21-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
Well here is my evidence. Three seasons with a helmet and no concussions. Took a nice back side digger on a backside 180 and got right back up and tried it again. Fit is CRUCIAL. I've seen two injuries from helmets not fitting right, and none from a correct fitting helmet. One was a back side digger and it pushed the front of helmet onto the riders nose. Nice little cut on the bridge of the nose. The other was a front digger and the helmet bucketed pulling up on the chin strap and chipping his tooth. Both could of been prevented by just cinching up the chin strap.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-21-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
I can say I went 11 season with more falls in trying to do bigger moves, new tricks, harder and more tech stuff than the stuff I do now, which is typically stuff I can land. I dont do much new stuff at all anymore. In those 11 seasons, I never had a head injury, ever. In the last 3 years, I under-rotated a 3 and cought my full back edge, went down backwards. 2 times I have landed a little too square on my roll and cought the back edge on the downside of the wake and I got sucked in. I have photo proof of this frame by frame I can link to. The roll was perfect, just a litle off on the landing. You dont have to have crap technique to crash hard, just be off a little bit.

I understand the helmet physics in the water thing, but I bet I could try it and it will make it worse or it will make it better. I was a believer of not using one, but now I wonder because it is a painful recovery from this one. At this point, the only thing I can loose is more brain cells.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-21-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear it Don. Bad ending to an otherwise great day. Thanks again for having me out. I can't really offer any advice because I couldn't stay till you took that last set. The only thoughts I have are a) you are a good bit taller than me and b) board. Not that theres anything wrong with it, just that new board improvements would possibly help avoid the edge catch with concave (spine) shape and edges are much less sharp between the toes.

Now with that said I am sad I forgot to give your boat a goodbye hug (or help with wipin her down ooooH!) although I did blow her a kiss. That wake was by far the most incredible thing I have ever seen and I felt like any trick could be learned behind that wake if only I have the cahonies to take those nasty falls ouch! I'm pretty sure I bruised a rib or strained my sternum or something lol it hurts to breathe today.

I'm sorry what was the photog's name again? Darrell? I should have thought of it earlier but if I could get a CD with all of those pics (or at least mine hehe) I would gladly give him $10 to his paypall or whatever.

Did your arms get pulled out on the backroll or how did you catch the edge? That has never happened to me. I am thinking cause your taller maybe you're just getting thrown to the water faster/harder?

OOOH I know!! I bet is the gloves!! :-)

(Message edited by wakemikey on September 21, 2009)
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       09-21-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
To each his or her own....I wear one everytime and I am far from good. It's all about choices in life. By the way I wear a life jacket too. (type III) and Yes I am old...37. It only took one K.O. with a side of concussion along with a blown ear drum to figure out that the helmet was a good thing for me. No problem since. Everyone in my family wears one boarding.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-21-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
Don, my "you" was not directed to you, it was the general sense.

And do have to say there seems to be more evidence supporting using helmets than not. Saving eardrums seem to make helmets worth it alone.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-21-2009, 1:24 PM Reply   
Since we are talking about helmets, where can a guy with a huge melon buy a helmet with ear flaps? I wouldn't mind trying one out, for just the above reason. I'd like to keep my ear drums intact.

I need it pretty large.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-21-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
I just bought the Shred Ready Full Cut with maintaining my ear drums in mind.
http://www.shredready.com/products/standardfc.html
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-21-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
This is a great helmet, and can be customized for any size

http://www.shredready.com/products/standardfc.html
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-21-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
weird
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-21-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
Padding in a helmet... whether it is a football helmet or a wake helmet spreads the impuls event out through a greater length of time. This results in less acceleration which menas less force, because F=Mass * acceleration. The mass is your brain moving towards the skull. The skull is getting slowed down "more gently" through teh padding in the helmet. The less force that the brain hits the skull with the better your chances are of not concussing.

There is no gaurentees, but facts remain that it lengthens the time of the impulse event. The ONLY aurgumnet is surface area, but in my hemet (protec), there are plenty of wholes that actually make the surface argument a moot point.

-UJ
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-21-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
A-dub, you probably posted this link up before and that's why I bought it. I got onto Shred Ready via WW.

I'm old, an average wakeboarder but getting better. Taken some good konks on the noggin' including the concussion last year, some wipeouts with the similar concussion feeling and getting tired of it. No ear drum problems yet but seen enough on here to know it's a decent possibility. The $80 out the door is worth it for me.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results. So, why not try a helmet?
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-21-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
Typically helmets have a "crumple zone" effect, in that they reduce the initial large impact. Even if the surface area argument held up I would imagine that the reduced impact would be a bigger net gain.

That being said I don't wear a helmet boarding, I do wear one biking cause.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-21-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
the people that dont wear them dont have the opportunity to see that they help because.....they dont wear them!!!

the people that wear them know that they help!

....i believe the folks that actually wear them over what people who dont wear them think may or may not happen.

disclaimer: I wear

20 years from now it wont be a debate...right now we are in the wakeboarding neanderthal age

.......these are all general statements....not absolutes

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on September 21, 2009)
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-21-2009, 3:34 PM Reply   
for the record no one evr talks of surface tension....which is probably the true culprit. I must admit my head once hurt briefly on a side impact from a ww 360......since I have added spines to my helmet and have had no more issues with the side impact.

our boards have spines to soften the impact by breaking water tension......so why shouldnt helmets.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       09-21-2009, 8:27 PM Reply   
I got my concussion last week while wearing a helmet. Only wear it when trying new stuff. Bigger surface vs padding: I don't know. But 2 friends ended up with stitches in their heads over the last few weeks, so that's another reason for me to wear one.
Old     (bnall)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-24-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
Well concussions are always a big joke with me & tha crew because I've had so many on & off the water, but appariently they're pretty serious when the dr told me I could even with the slightest bump now. Never good when u love a sport were u can sometimes hit the water like runnin straight into a brick wall... I don't believe in living life fearful so I still ride, but I wear a helmet every time I ride & knock on wood haven't had a concussion in 2 years on the water. HELMETS ARE COOL!!!
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-24-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
So strange (for me) that I found this thread. Tuesday I decided on a whim to go for a BS 360 and took it directly to front edge catch/giant face plant. I'm 6'7" so I've got a long way to fall. I blame it on my new Marek, lol. The edge on that thing is sharp as hell....

Anyways, I have shadowy recollections of the 10 minutes following the fall but I was told I repeated the exact same questions 8-10 times in a row and was really slow to answer questions. Two of the friends I was with were nurses and were very concerned. I'm just grateful everything is ok so far and I didn't start vomitting or anything.

Anyways, scary stuff. 12 summers of boarding and this is the 1st time I've taken one this bad. I sort of pride myself on having learned to fall so that this doesn't happen. Sometimes you never know what is going to happen I guess.

What's the proper amount of time to give yourself to heal when something like this happens? Its funny, I thought my wakeboarding "career" was done for about a day. Today I was really looking forward to riding on Saturday. What a sick sport.......
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-25-2009, 5:45 PM Reply   
I am going to wait for 2 weeks. Sounds like yours was worse than mine. Good luck and you will know when the time is right to go again.