Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old    bambamski            10-26-2004, 7:07 AM Reply   
Friday October 22nd Air Temp leaving Calgary 36F. We had to drive 2.5 hours north to get to the lake, by the time we got there the temp had dropped to right around 32F of 0C. Pretty frosy, but still a ton of fun!
36C or 36F
me
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-26-2004, 7:11 AM Reply   
nice Pat. You are core!

Dedication at its finest. Hope you have a heater in the boat.

I'll be thinkin of you guys on Friday while I'm trunkin it.
Old    bambamski            10-26-2004, 7:13 AM Reply   
some more

Old    bambamski            10-26-2004, 7:17 AM Reply   
Eyesfrozeshut?

Old    bambamski            10-26-2004, 7:20 AM Reply   
before we left

Old    bambamski            10-26-2004, 7:23 AM Reply   
Last one

Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-26-2004, 7:31 AM Reply   
I guess that's how crazed Canadians get when there's no hockey.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-26-2004, 7:53 AM Reply   
That's just nuts. GO SNOWBOARDING or something!
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-26-2004, 7:54 AM Reply   
What is the engine operating temp? 90 degrees?
Old    lunaraven            10-26-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
I thought we had it tough on Sunday in BC.
Measured the water temp to be 5C / 40F
Air was just over 5.
Water was glass.

octglass
water
mountain
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       10-26-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
Nice work Pat. I wish I had balls like that. Even if I did I am pretty sure I would have had a hard time filling the boat. I had my boat winterized early in September. What lake did you hit up?
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-26-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
Nice Rick. What lake was that at? I wanted to go on the weekend since it was so nice, but the hubby was sick (even too sick to drive for me!).

Pat, you're nuts! Snow is for snowboarding!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-26-2004, 10:07 AM Reply   
Definitely nuts... I think I'd get a new hobby if it got that cold around here. Maybe foozball or something.
Old    lunaraven            10-26-2004, 2:04 PM Reply   
Lucky Its Allouette Lake, Its beautiful but in the summer its too busy and has too much chop due to no southern windbreak and too many people. Most people find it to be cold even in the summer. I use a variety of mafiosa tactics to get a driver.

Old    bambamski            10-26-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
Jon that was Pigeon Lake, up by Edmonton. First time I'd ever been there, it was way farther than I thought.

It's suppose to be 9 on Friday, that'll feel like a heat wave!!
Old    vern            10-26-2004, 2:17 PM Reply   
"I wish I had balls like that"

Doesn't matter what size of balls you have. They won't be there (shriviling effect) in temperatures like that.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-26-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
All you folks who board in the snow-YER FREAKIN NUTZ!!!!! Were going out this weekend and Im finally breaking out the spring suit. How do you even hold on to the handle????? Enjoy while you can
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-26-2004, 2:22 PM Reply   
Nice bro.... there is an event in Wisconsin for "crazies" like us.... www.winterwaterland.com
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-26-2004, 2:38 PM Reply   
photoshopped snow

just kidding. DON'T call me if you are looking for a 3rd!!!!
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-26-2004, 2:38 PM Reply   
Rick, I thought it might be Alloette. I didn't think it was Pitt. We used to drive all the way up there (Chatham Reach) before we discovered a great place only 2 minutes from where we moor! We board in a bunch of small channels just off the Fraser near the Massey Tunnel. The channels are small and often protected, so usually somewhere to find a nice spot. The reeds on the side really help to baffle the waves, so they are diffused pretty quickly.

I hope it's nice this weekend - the boat is coming out by the end of the month. Last time I was out was 2 weeks ago. We had the water to ourselves!
Old    lunaraven            10-26-2004, 3:49 PM Reply   
I live out in the valley 15min from Pitt or Allouette and an hour from Harrison. I will be going out till the end of November then I take my December holidays for 2wks of boarding in a warm place.
You have a much nicer boat than mine, if you take me out sometime I could buy gas!
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-26-2004, 4:14 PM Reply   
F'in Canadians eh!
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-26-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
Rick - you're on. Contact me next spring.

The only reason we have such a nice boat is because the last one was stolen! Otherwise we'd probably still have our Chaparral.

Ant, I think that was meant as a compliment, right?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-26-2004, 4:52 PM Reply   
If the water don't have ice on it, your ready to roll. I love the pics.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-26-2004, 5:05 PM Reply   
I knew there was a reason that I don't live in Canada. What was all that white stuff? Is the whole place contaminated? scary... wave goodbye to any hope for children, instead of shooting blanks you'll be firing off frozen BB's.
Old    byerly137pro            10-26-2004, 5:17 PM Reply   
When Canadians have no hockey on t.v. they go wakeboarding in the freeezing cold? Not this Canadian! I play hockey so its all good in my house, but thats taking a diehard attitude to the extreme!
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-26-2004, 7:06 PM Reply   
Mega props to you crazy f-ers!! I got cold looking at those pics. You guys have some serious nads. Did any of the locals see you boarding? I bet they'd immediately be calling a mental health expert and who'd show up at the ramp with a few straight jackets. props again... no one is going to say you guys are wimps.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-26-2004, 7:57 PM Reply   
Actually,they probably froze those serious nads off.HARDCORE GUYS!!!!
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-26-2004, 8:01 PM Reply   
you guys are crazy, i just went in orlando and the water was about 85 and the sun was shiny, YOU SHOULD MOVE TO FLORIDA WHERE THE SEASON NEVER ENDS.
Old    wakelvr            10-26-2004, 8:01 PM Reply   
Looks ICE COLD! Nice boat by the way! Is that Metallic Viper Red Flake? How do you like the 05 swivel boardracks? I got to try them out for the first time recently and I'm in love, all over again!

Thanks for making me appreciate the warmth of living on the delta!
Old    er2004            10-26-2004, 8:36 PM Reply   
I have been looking at two different boats lately one is the Malibu 2004 Wakesetter VLX and the other is 04' Supreme Sky 208, I enjoy both boats, but I never hear about Supremes. I always hear about MC, or Malibu?? Why is that? Is Supreme just not as good or what?? The purpose of buying this boat is to wakeboard off the back, I just learned this summer off the back of my Jet Ski, and believe me the wake behind that is a joke!!! So what boat would you experienced boaters and wakeboarders choose???
Old    bambamski            10-27-2004, 7:26 AM Reply   
Stefani,

It's not the Metalic Viper Red Flake. It's the new deeper red MC just put out for 05, I think they call it pro tour red or something. It looks really nice. The new board racks are great, the swivel is pretty cool, I'm not sure I'd use it all the time though as the racks are big and really easy to use. They're also low enough so you don't have to struggle to get your board out as well. Wow lots of posts from the California posters, we're glad to help you appreciate the warmth of the Delta

Rebecca, probably not the best place to post your question. Maybe start your own post on the subject, you'll probably get more responses to it. I've heard good things about the Supremes, people that have had them really like them, they're not really in the mainstream yet though. As for the VLX, a friend said the older VLX's should come way down in price now because they brought out a new VLX for 05 and are offering a stripped down version of the old VLX. You may be able to get one of the new stripped down ones cheaper than a used 04 VLX. Something to think about. I'm sure you'll get a 100 different opinions on the subject though...
Old    jlm            10-27-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
wow, all I can say is wow....I mean..Also, boat looks great.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-27-2004, 8:31 AM Reply   
Lucky ~ yes, I give you crazy guys a lot of credit for boarding in that cold weather.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-27-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
Alright...I want to see you guys build a snow kicker on the shore of the lake! Start your pull, hit the kicker, and land in the water to start your run.

Okay I'm dreaming....
But it would be a sick way to start a video.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-27-2004, 10:33 AM Reply   
Pat how do you keep the water from freezing in the engine, that is the only reason I cut my season short in WI is because I don't want to have to drain the water out of the block and blow the heater core out after every outing
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-07-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
Thank you Pat for doing all of us hardcore Canadian riders justice. I wanted to go out riding around then but I couldn't convince anyone to either go with or take me.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-07-2004, 4:36 PM Reply   
Down here in chilly frost bitten San Antonio Texas we are the trully hard core. 80 degree air temp and water temp of 70ish on Nov 7th!!! Thats what I call hard core !!!

--PAT - do you guys wear anything on your toes? wouldnt a wetsuit sock thing make your binding to small?
Old    byerly137pro            11-07-2004, 6:19 PM Reply   
You should apply for the Punk-Ass-Canucks with those pictures, if you didn't get in I'm sure they'd be impressed. Either way, you make us Canadians look like animals.
Old    bambamski            11-07-2004, 8:52 PM Reply   
Jason,

We were demoing the boat, so the salesguy just took it back to their heated shop.

Chris,

Nothing on the toes, they pretty much go numb when you're sitting on the platform. You don't feel them again until you're in the boat with the heater blowing on them

Alex,

What are the Punk-Ass-Canucks??

hey Jeff

Can't believe we got three of us to go in!

Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-08-2004, 5:11 AM Reply   
gnarly pics mang, you are hardcore!
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-09-2004, 11:28 AM Reply   
I swear Pat, one of these days I'll make it to Calgary, maybe with this new job of mine. Komex International, they've got a big office down in Calgary too. I'm going out with a geoligist from there to Edson and Drayton Valley this week/weekend.
Old    byerly137pro            11-09-2004, 6:11 PM Reply   
There a group of Canadian skaters, snowboarders but I'm not sure if they have wakeboarders, maybe they do, I dunno.
Old    part_timer            11-15-2004, 10:07 AM Reply   
Wow. . . and I thought it was cold getting in the water here in Texas last week.

Nice.