Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-10-2013, 8:52 AM Reply   
only found a thread mentioning some pros doing it, but was hoping to find out from the people on here......anyone ride their skimboards finless? Used to skim a ton down in San DIego before moving to NorCal and so i have a couple large victoria boards with good traction pads on them already. id love to not drill holes in them for a fin but if its easy ill give it a go....just curious if people are out there without doing this?
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-10-2013, 10:45 AM Reply   
Some female riders go fin less like Bri Chmel and Vanessa Gonzalez. My daughter, who is a top level competitor tried it for a while, but felt limited. Backside riding is very difficult and control while doing spins can be touchy.

Since you have the boards, try it. You have nothing to loose
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-10-2013, 11:17 AM Reply   
I used to ride finless for years, but started riding a fin last year because it helped a lot with airs.

Victoria rider Cole Kirby rides finless and he absolutely kills it. He came from an ocean skimboarding background as well

Old     (SacSurfer)      Join Date: May 2012       05-10-2013, 1:36 PM Reply   

from Drone Dudes on Vimeo.

Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-10-2013, 6:51 PM Reply   
I find a fin definitely helps with tracking. You can ride without one, and lots do as people have pointed out above, but it is a lot easier to ride with a fin.
Have any local shop, throw a futures box or FCS plug in the rear and use a MF1 or nubster style fin. This is quick, inexpensive and keeps the integrity of the board intact, since it is all sealed, and not a set screws going through to the deck.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-11-2013, 10:27 AM Reply   
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-11-2013, 4:54 PM Reply   
^^^ He's an animal. Tore it up in that vid!