Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-02-2012, 2:20 PM Reply   
Sorry,I know this isn't directly related to wakeboarding.

Anyways, we're closing up our northern retreat this weekend. I plan to keep my boat in the water until closer to the end of October however. I'd like to be able to get up north for the odd day to squeeze in a couple more wakeboarding sets. When we close up our trailer, we put anti-freeze through all the lines, in the toilet, in the bathtub, and in the washing machine. Our trailer is 40 feet long... I'm not sure how wide. It may be something like 12-15 feet wide. Anyways, it'd be nice to be able to still goin inside the trailer in between wakeboard sets to chill out for a bit. I'm really not sure if this is safe though. You can smell the anti-freeze when you go in there. I'm not sure if sitting in there for a couple of hours would be dangerous to the health or not. I've asked a couple of people this question, and no one really thinks it would be a problem. I thought I would at least ask around and get a few more opinions on this.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-02-2012, 2:55 PM Reply   
I assume you are using the eco friendly RV antifreeze. If so you should be fine. I have never heard of anifreeze being an inhalation hazard.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-02-2012, 4:30 PM Reply   
Um I'm not sure if it's "eco-friendly". It doesn't say that anywhere on the jug. It's just your basic plumbing anti-freeze from Canadian Tire. It says it ideal for RVs, boats, cottages and pools. It contains ethanol, and it says to use it in a well ventilated area (which concerns me a bit). Is this not the safest one to use in terms of exposure? Should I get an eco-friend one in the future?
Attached Images

Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-02-2012, 4:40 PM Reply   
Thats what they call the "rv" antifreeze. You should be fine being in the cottage. Crack a window if the smell is that strong and bothers you.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-02-2012, 5:18 PM Reply   
Hmmm, alright cool! You're about the 3rd of 4th person to tell me that so I'd have to assume by now that there's some truth to it!

So there's no risk at all? None after a few hours? None after 24 hours?
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-02-2012, 5:56 PM Reply   
If it says only use in a well ventilated area, I can only assume that the fumes are not good for you.
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-02-2012, 6:34 PM Reply   
How much antifreeze do you use? Do you try and flush the lines out after you pour the antifreeze in or do you just pour the antifreeze in and call it good? My grandparents do the same thing with their trailer and I've never noticed any excessive fumes after we load it up with antifreeze. I think we typically use 2 gallons for the whole trailer (3 sinks, 1 shower, 1 washer). Then again, I see that you're in Canada, so the stuff you have to use is probably a little more potent than what we use in Oklahoma.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-02-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
Looking at the warning label the well vented is to due with flammability, not breathability.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-02-2012, 6:55 PM Reply   
Raf, ya I was concerned when I read that as well. However no one I talk to is telling me it's bad to breath in.

Brett, you raise a good point. We typically force the anti-freeze into the lines using a small utility pump. This gets pumped in from outside of the trailer. Once we turn the pump on, we open the kitchen sink taps until we see the anti-freeze coming out of it. Then we move to the washroom and open those taps until we see the anti-freeze come out of those taps. After that, we dump some anti-freeze into the toilet. Then we open the portable dishwasher and put some in there. Maybe the smell is coming from extra that just sits in the toilet and dishwasher.

Yeah I'm in Canada. Our place is about 2 hours north-east of Toronto.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-02-2012, 7:07 PM Reply   
I actually just read an interesting article: http://www.mainecamperdealer.com/ind...ntifreeze.html

It basically states that there are 3 types of RV Antifreeze: Ethanol (alcohol) based, Propylene Glycol based, and Propylene/Ethanol Blend. It also states that all 3 are "non-toxic".

Yeah, I was just going to state what Todd just did. Mine is alcohol based, therefore flammable, therefore must be well ventilated.

Come to think of it, I would have to imagine that anything we put down our drinking lines would have to be non-toxic, therefore breathable! I think that makes sense.... doesn't it??