Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (cj1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-29-2012, 9:53 AM Reply   
Hi i am currently riding a 137 Hyperlite murray and i am about to switch over to a Liquid force FLX. Im 5.8 about 125 pounds. I like the 137 but i havent rode anything smaller. The flx comes in a 138 and a 134 idk which to chose?? Also idk if size will have an affect on amount of flex or softer or harder landings?
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-29-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
I assume at that weight you are still growing? May want to give yourself some room to grow into it?
Old     (cj1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-29-2012, 10:40 AM Reply   
Idk im 17 now and my dads only weighs 140 so i dont see myself getting too much bigger over the years
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-29-2012, 11:06 AM Reply   
Get the 138. Im 5'9" 160 and I ride a 142 Hyperlite Union for my park board and a 140 Marek for my boat board. They always say sizes go off weight but in your case def get a 138 because of your height. You'll def wan a little more board to land on, your stance can get wider for your height, so that your more stable. I wouldn't even consider riding anything smaller than a 137 if i were you and in all honesty if you can't press a 138 you won't be able to press a 134.
The bigger board will land softer too and give you more surface area for sliding

If I were you I would get a 138 Union. The board is virtually indestructible, I ride the hell out of my boards and I've had it since it came out and ran it into obstacles and done things to it that would leave other boards absolutely mangled and seriously little to no damage at all. And since it has the slider track system for mounting your bindings your stance options are endless.
The FLX is a great board but if just seen them fall apart twice as fast and way less durable
Hopefully this all helps you out
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-01-2012, 7:41 AM Reply   
You definately need to stick with HL. The new 2013 stuff is sick. They have a number of options for you to choose from.
Old     (cj1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-01-2012, 7:58 AM Reply   
i dont really like the union it feels heavy and is thicker than i wanted so i went with the 138 flx but im definitely sticking with the systems
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-01-2012, 11:20 AM Reply   
Going back to my point earlier....give it year or two I reckon you will put on a few lbs over the coming years. Especially if you ever get the urge to hit the gym. That will add 20lbs quite easily.
Old     (SteveAZ)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-03-2012, 2:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmotoxxx711 View Post
Get the 138. Im 5'9" 160 and I ride a 142 Hyperlite Union for my park board and a 140 Marek for my boat board. They always say sizes go off weight but in your case def get a 138 because of your height. You'll def wan a little more board to land on, your stance can get wider for your height, so that your more stable. I wouldn't even consider riding anything smaller than a 137 if i were you and in all honesty if you can't press a 138 you won't be able to press a 134.
The bigger board will land softer too and give you more surface area for sliding

If I were you I would get a 138 Union. The board is virtually indestructible, I ride the hell out of my boards and I've had it since it came out and ran it into obstacles and done things to it that would leave other boards absolutely mangled and seriously little to no damage at all. And since it has the slider track system for mounting your bindings your stance options are endless.
The FLX is a great board but if just seen them fall apart twice as fast and way less durable
Hopefully this all helps you out
I don't understand this reasoning, can you explain?

Personally, if it were me and I was 125#s, I'd consider the smaller board, especially if you're in to spins and inverts. The bigger the board the further the weight is from your rotational center and spins will be harder to initiate and stop.

If you need softer landings (we all do), look at the ergonomics of your squat and adjust your bindings accordingly. Also consider the composition of your bindings. The larger board landing softer theory doesn't make sense to me. In theory a larger surface area will displace more water. In order to do so, you need more weight. Smaller board with the same weight will sink easier and displace less water thus land softer....it won't be as fast though.

GL in your search.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-03-2012, 11:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
The larger board landing softer theory doesn't make sense to me. In theory a larger surface area will displace more water. In order to do so, you need more weight. Smaller board with the same weight will sink easier and displace less water thus land softer
Sounds about right but if you are going deeper in the water on landings you would be more likely to dip a nose or something. I think the bigger surface area, especially in the width will give you a bigger landing zone and thus less likely to wipeout on sketchy landings.
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-03-2012, 12:06 PM Reply   
Take a board 15 - 20 feet out into the flats behind the boat and then tell me a bigger board doest land softer. ive been fortuante enough to be doing this for along time and as my riding has gotten bigger so has my landing area aka my board. yea a 132cm is going to spin like crazy when you want it to, but if your not 100% consistant on a 360 on a 132cm its not the size, if you give yourself more surface area to land on your gonna have a little easeir time landing and not as likely to go off axis accidently.

and when it comes to landing softer a lot of things come into play... does your board have a spine down the center of it, or is it flat? are you carrying speed into your landings to keep forward momentum going? are you landing on edge to break the water surface tension and make your job of your knees easier?

Ive been fortunate enough to teach wakeboarding for the past ten years now and everyone that i have suggested trying a bigger board (within reason and assuming that they are currently on too small a board) has not regreted it. sorry i couldnt respond sooner, my "SMART" phone wont let me log into WW haha awsome technology!
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-03-2012, 12:08 PM Reply   
oh and being 5'9" 160lbs and riding a 140cm obviously im not gonna get any bigger of a board than this, thats where it stops haha
Old     (SteveAZ)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-03-2012, 1:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmotoxxx711 View Post
Take a board 15 - 20 feet out into the flats behind the boat and then tell me a bigger board doest land softer. ive been fortuante enough to be doing this for along time and as my riding has gotten bigger so has my landing area aka my board. yea a 132cm is going to spin like crazy when you want it to, but if your not 100% consistant on a 360 on a 132cm its not the size, if you give yourself more surface area to land on your gonna have a little easeir time landing and not as likely to go off axis accidently.

and when it comes to landing softer a lot of things come into play... does your board have a spine down the center of it, or is it flat? are you carrying speed into your landings to keep forward momentum going? are you landing on edge to break the water surface tension and make your job of your knees easier?

Ive been fortunate enough to teach wakeboarding for the past ten years now and everyone that i have suggested trying a bigger board (within reason and assuming that they are currently on too small a board) has not regreted it. sorry i couldnt respond sooner, my "SMART" phone wont let me log into WW haha awsome technology!