Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-06-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
I am considering subscribing to Sirius Satellite but I don't know anything about it. I am looking for help on both the hardware and overall use.

I have a Clarion M475 HU and currently mostly use a 3rd gen iTouch connected through a CeNet cable.

How will the sound quality of the satellite radio compare to my 3rd gen iTouch? (most songs are 256 kbps).

The Clarion M475 is satellite ready but the manual states I need a SIR-CL3M CeNet module. Is this the interface or tuner or both? Do I need any other hardware? (ie antenna)

How does the overall function of this work - do I use the HU to tune in the satellite radio channels or the SIR-CL3M?

It looks like there is a pass-thru CeNet connection on the SIR-CL3M. I assume this allows me to have both the iTouch and CL3M connected at the same time. If so, can I still control my iTouch through the wired remote like I can now?

What is your overall impression of Satellite radio, is it worth it?

Thanks!!
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-06-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
Very worthwhile.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/586986.html

I only had to go to car stereo dealer in town that handled Clarion compatible equipment. They knew what I needed.

Yes you need an antenna and where to put it is an issue.
Old                02-06-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
I'm not familiar with the 457, but I have an older Clarion deck with Ipod & Sirius. The Sirius interface on mine looks similar to the Ipod CeNet box and will wire in between the CeNet and the deck. It should be a very easy install and will mount near the CeNet box. I would say the sound quality is as good as or better than the Ipod and you should be able to control the Ipod & Sirius with the remote.

Many people swear by satellite radio. I personally don’t think it’s worth the money (the hardware is the cheap part). I’m not a big fan of their programming and $13 to $17 a month is too much considering I prefer my local radio stations. I no longer have service and would consider re-upping if it was much cheaper or they offered all the top local radio stations anywhere in the US.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-06-2010, 4:22 PM Reply   
I put the sat interface on my Clarion last summer. Best thing I ever did super clear no fading and great variety. I do the month by month service. I then put it on hold for the winter wile the boat is stored.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-06-2010, 4:57 PM Reply   
So, I need the SIR-CL3M and an antenna?

Are there different types of antenna's?

Is the SIR-CLM3 the latest (adapter, tuner conversion box or what ever it is) or is there something newer?

The Sirius website says it has a plan starting at $6.99 a month and the regular music plan is $9.99 but I don't know about activation fee, cancellation fees and reactivation fees, especially if I try to just use it for the boating season.

I only know of one other person that has this and there was supposedly the capability of tuning other HU's on surrounding boats to a particular FM station and they would also be able to listen to the satellite broadcast. How well does that work?
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-06-2010, 5:28 PM Reply   
I have had multiple Sirus units in my boats. The best one is when it is hard wired or using a stereo mini cord. Do not I repeat do not consider the installation where you turn your Fm radio to an open frequency to listen to Sirius. If you are particular about your sound you won't like it. Also the best antenna I have found was the Marine Galaxy antenna mounted just in front of the windshield on the passenger/port side. I also have used a Sirius Sportster5 and JVC KTSR1000,and XACT using a stereo mini jack cord which works well. Be sure to use factory power cords as sometimes they are not 12volt and you could fry your radio for example the XACT is less than 12volts. I have had the Pioneer and Kenwood Sirius Receiver modules and both worked well. You can get the unit shut off during the winter it is called a "Seasonal" shut off. We ride in rural Eastern Washington and it works great. If you live near Portland Oregon PM me and I will give you the name of the shop where I have had work done.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-06-2010, 5:34 PM Reply   
I didn't make the Sirius conversion as much as a project as you are, but I recall my installs being fairly simple, except my crazy tower mount in my historical link above.

I have four antennas, 1 for car, house, boat and an extra from the boat. They were probably different mfrs, but all were pretty much that tile piece you see in my link. It was the most expensive one.

I think the FM won't be appealing to you. In my car, the Sirius receiver and my car sound system are not linked by wire but by an FM link.

It's a PITA. I have to select an un-used channel. Even in my small community, there are only about 3 or 4. And when I drive not more than 60 miles away, I'm within range of an active station on that channel, and hence have to switch channels. (On the car system, that's simple. With the Sirius remote, it's about 3 or four keystrokes, but the keys are teeny and I have to look at them).

Sometimes, when I drive alongside another car with the same FM link, their Sirius FM link overpowers mine, and all of sudden I have country pumping out my system.

I may be wrong. You might know of something else. But if what my car has is what your thinking, it's nothing your going to want to do.

You would have to be (1) within close range--and I mean at anchor right alongside, (2) tuned to the correct FM station, and then (3) only be entreated to the Sirius station they've chosen.

You're in for a change. Broadcast radio has prolly not prepared you for station 28 or the (???) raw dog comedy channel.
Old                02-06-2010, 8:06 PM Reply   
Let us know what you end up paying for your subscription. I think the $6 plan is only for systems that limit you to a few pre-selected channels. I don’t think the SIR-CL3M allows that option. I'm also curious about canceling in the off season. $6 a month X 6 months= $36. That would be worth it.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-06-2010, 9:31 PM Reply   
I have Sirius on my boat and very rarely use it. I don't listen to your typical classic rock or modern pop music though, so it doesn't do much for me. I much prefer Pandora on my iPhone. The sound quality isn't as good as a CD or an MP3, but when I'm wakeboarding or we're chilling on the boat I'm not looking for extreme quality.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-06-2010, 9:53 PM Reply   
As far as the $6 a month goes my boat Sirius is a secondary unit I still have my main Sirius in my SUV so the $6 unit may only be available as a add on unit. I still like Sirius better than XM for what its worth.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-06-2010, 10:34 PM Reply   
It sounds like the wireless option is a FM modulation type of connection. And, if I did this, I would have it hard wired through the CeNet connection so the ability for other boats to tune into it won't work.

I just signed up for the free 30 day trial and then installed the free Sirius App on my iTouch. I connected it to the CeNet cable and was able to play it through the boat stereo. I thought that was pretty cool. I thought most songs/channels sounded really good.

I was hoping it was actually working through a satellite connection via the iTouch. But I took the iTouch with me in the truck on a quick drive around the block and it lost the signal, so it only works in range of my wireless router.... That's too bad, it would be cool to have it on the iTouch with the ability to connect to the HU out on the lake.

Is there a discount for multiple units? I had XM radio in my Suburban when I bought it. Maybe I would reactivate that too??
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-06-2010, 10:44 PM Reply   
Do I need the Sirius Satellite tuner as shown in the bottom diagram of the website below?

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=FlexContent&cid=1173752921558

Or, since my HU is "Satellite Ready" does the SIR-CL3M take care of that?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-06-2010, 11:43 PM Reply   
We have Sirius in my wife's car. It's a removable radio that has a base in the house & in the boat so it gets used a lot. Since we live so far north, it loses signal anytime your on the north side of a building, tree, hillside, big rock, etc. I guess all the satellites are south by the equator.

My truck has XM from the previous owner. I've had it over a year & it still works.

Get the Get the Sirius/XM FM direct adapter so you get a descent sounding signal. Anything less sucks.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-07-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
Bill, it looks like you only need the FM direct adapter if you use a wireless FM connection - like what is shown in option 2 of the first diagram in the link I have right above yours.

With a direct connection I don't think I would need this correct?

Also, I did a little more digging and it looks like SIR-CL3 was replaced by the the SC-C1 tuner and the Clarion CLA-SC1 adaptor. The SC-C1 comes with the antenna.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-07-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
You got it, FJK. The adapter I listed works great for stock stereos without any aux inputs. My boat stereo already has an input setup for MP3 players. I could split that to two connectors, or use the FM direct adapter. Either way wired will always sound better & be more reliable than wireless.