Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-11-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
Many people have asked about the extra ballast I plumbed into my 2006 Mastercraft X2. I finally got around to taking some detailed pictures of the install.

We'll start with the Fly High integrated bow sac. First, I had to tie into the fill/empty pump that is under the two rear seats. Lift up the back seats and lift up the black engine compartment cover and you should be looking at the engine transmission I think. There is the KGB pump in the top of this picture. The hose coming out the left of the pump goes to the ballast manifold in the back of the boat (goes under the engine.) The hose coming out the right of the pump loops down to the T connector you see. Down goes to KGB, up the bow sac. Down from the T is a valve I put in because I like to have the KGB empty for surfing, but the bow sac full. So that is the shutoff for the KGB. Up from the T goes to the new white hose that you can see goes to another valve. That is to shut off the integrated bow sac.

Upload
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-11-2008, 7:04 PM Reply   
Ok here is that same valve going to the bow sac from a different angle. I had to drill a hole in the side wall of the engine compartment to send the hose forward. I believe that is the fuel tank in the picture.

Upload
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-11-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
The hose runs along the wall where the cooler goes, past my two batteries and towards the front sac. This is a pic of the corner under the spotter's seat. You can see both of my batteries in this picture.

Upload
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-11-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
You can see the hose running past the battery and there is an L that turns the hose left. There is another L you can't see under the speaker. I have to do that because the connection on the sac rested right under the speaker.

Upload
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-11-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Here is the view from the front, looking at the back of the speaker box. The sac in the pic is the integrated bow sac. The L you see on the left is the L at the top of the previous pic.

Upload
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-11-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
Here is the overflow on the other side of the bow. I am T-ing into the KGB overflow. There is a check valve on both sides so you can run only one sac without water spilling into the other.

Upload
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-11-2008, 7:18 PM Reply   
The wall Mastercraft has to hide all of the helm electronics is tough to get out and impossible to get back in. So I built a new one, but part of the reason is so I had more room to put stuff up there. In this case, extra life jackets and my throwable.

Upload
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-11-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
The port side gunnel. I did not feel like taking off the back panel, but I think I and many others have posted that before anyway.

Upload
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-11-2008, 7:22 PM Reply   
starboard side overflow

Upload
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-11-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
starboard side fill/empty

the valve i used here was expensive and more than was needed. I later found the plastic valves in the pictures above and recommend those.

Upload
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-11-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
The hose I bought at West Marine, but it is also available at most local hardware stores in the section where they sell spa equipment.

The check valves I found online, I think from west marine? There is a post about those too is you search.

Everything else is local hardware store stuff.

Some advice: take vasoline and a hair dryer with you to put on the hoses. Some people can muscle through em all and get em all on tight. I tired out and cheated a bit to get the rest on.

Total time for the project (not including thinking about how to do it):
each rear 2 hours
bow 3-4 hours

with these pics as a guide so you know what to do I would guess you could get it done in half the time I did it in.
Old     (sinister_designs)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-11-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
Have you ridden with this setup yet?
Can you take some wake photo's with and without ballast? as I have just purchased a '06 X2 so this would be very interesting to me.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-12-2008, 5:43 AM Reply   
I have been riding with this setup for two years now and it works great.

Sorry don't have wake photos without and not sure where the wake photos with are. But if you add the extra ballast, this is the most logical setup.

I also have some pop bags in there. One in the bow, 2 under each rear seat.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-12-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
Here is a pic with the back off the gunnel area so you can see the tie in to the existing pump. Starboard side I think. That is with the old bag I had in the rear is why it looks different from the pic yesterday (above.)

Upload
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-12-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
here is a pic of some of the parts i used. As mentioned above, i would suggest different valves as in this pic - those were too expensive compared to the plastic ones.

Upload
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-12-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
so the same pump that fills your ski locker sac, fills your integrated fly high bow sac? You just have some manual valves you turn to divert the flow from one sac to the other? Is that right?
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-12-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Mastercraft's center tank is called the KGB and it is basically the ski locker area. Yes one pump fills both and using the two valves, I can turn either one on and off. That being said, I rarely mess with the valves (but I haven't surfed any on my boat since I got the bow integrated.) When I surfed before, I was filling the bow sac manually.

Mastercraft's pumps are reversible. I think some boat companies use seperate pumps for fill and empty.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-12-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
I'm thinking of putting in a bow sac in my 02 X-star. I'm familiar with the pumps and I have the Ski locker sac. So you are filling the KGB and bow sac at the same time then. Do they fill up at the same rate? Once the KGB sac is full, wouldn't the water come out the overflow of the kgb? How full does the bow sac get then? Thanks.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-13-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
Yeah the KGB and bow sac fill at the same time. The KGB fills faster.

The way I solved this problem with the rear sacs was to make sure you have the T oriented correctly. The bottom of the T should always be towards the pump.

Even though that is the case in the first pic above, KGB was filling faster because the water had to go up and a long ways to reach the bow sac, where as the KGB was down and close. If you look closely at the picture, I turned the valve on the KGB 45 degrees and that seemed to solve the problem. The KGB still overflows sooner than the bow fills, but its a trickle since the water then moves faster to the bow instead of forcing overflow on the KGB.

Hope that all makes sense.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-13-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
yes, it does. Thanks.