Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-28-2006, 7:20 AM Reply   
What happened to the intermediate division? I don't want to leave good surf and travel 6 hours each way to compete against pros.
Old    surfdad            04-28-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
There is none. Sean, last year and I'm sure this year too, the beginners were folks just starting out...read: the winner dropped the rope. There were NOT any pros that attended last year. What is that phrase you used? Bro's not Pro's is the order of the day.

I am a little confused about the entry to the World's though. I have "heard" there is a "regional qualifier" back east for entry to the World's. If Centurion is using these contests as the only way you can enter the World's as an Amateur, it would be nice to know.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-28-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
I heard Jaime Lovett is competing.

edit: on the pre-registration form there was a intermediate class.

(Message edited by caskimmer on April 28, 2006)

(Message edited by caskimmer on April 28, 2006)
Old    surfdad            04-28-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
No way!!!!!!!! Jaime is killer and, of course will kick butt.

What is the purpose of having a paid professional competing at a grass roots contest? That's whacked and certainly will diminish folks from returning next year. Like having Shaun Murray show up to compete in a local wakeboarding event.

You know, those people are really great folks, I would bet that once there, they would consider separating folks that ride for a living from the rest of us.

Is Jaime riding for Lands End or a different board company this year?
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-28-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
He's still riding for Lands End but also rides for 50/50 waveskates I believe.
Old    surfdad            04-28-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
Yeah I like that 50/50 and isn't it INT that makes a similar black baller?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-28-2006, 7:13 PM Reply   
Jaime Lovett competed at the Spring Break Championships but did not win.
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-30-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
We ended up adding an intermediate division at the last minute yesterday morning. I think the event went very well. 24 people in total competed, which is double what we had last year. The weather was perfect and I think everybody walked away with at least one raffle prize. I will send out a press release and pictures as soon as I recover from two LONG days at the lake.

BTW - The registration form that is online also includes - groms, outlaw and wakeskate.... it is primarily used for our Rider Series - which are wakeboard/wakeskate events.
Old    surfdad            04-30-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
Jaime was there, he put on quite a performance. Surprize! Surprize! He's riding a Calibrated behind the boat! 3 shuv-it's in a row to a 360 shuv-it. He was killing it.

Like I thought and CC noted, they created an Intermdiate division at the site, they really are well organized and good folks.

It was a great day! The contest was, as usual, GREAT. Perfect water, perfect weather and a well run event. The raffle, not ONLY had the charitable component, but great items. We donated $40 and walked away with 3 times that in retail value of goodies.

James rode in the Advanced division against Jaime, Mitch and myself. I decided to give the kids a break and came in 4th. :-) Jamie was great to hang with. What a great show too, to be on the boat and ride against a pro, seeeing his skills up close.

Thee AzWA did a great job and this format worked well.

Jamie took first and James nailed down second.
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-01-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
Thanks for the rave review Jeff. It was great to have all of the CA folks out there again this year. Not only did you all ride great, but you all helped out so much with driving, judging, and photographing. The pictures that you all took turned out GREAT!

I can't say enough about our sponsors stepping up huge and quickly adding some awesome prizes for the new division.

I hope everybody enjoyed the day as much as I did
Old    surfdad            05-01-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
It's difficult to appreciate how well this contest is run, without having experienced it. It's on a Saturday so you don't have to skip school or work to attend. They reserve a cove that is probably 3,000 to 4,000 feet in length so that while the rest of the lake is busy, this cove is almost glass. The structure of the cove is such that there was no wind chop or rollers from other boats.

You can drive right down to the water and park. I watched the other classes go off from the back of a van, munchies and cold ones at hand. No walking or sitting on rails or in the dirt.

The prizes are killer. Judy won the women's division and racked up some additional Roxy Luggage. Not cheapy stuff, we have dragged this luggage all over the country.

I also cannot emphasize enough the caliber of these folks. What is most indicative of the character of these folks is the raffle. A portion of the proceeds are to be donated to the Arch Angel Foundation, which helps victims of violent crimes, in the name of Powell Williams. Williams was a AzWA member and a serviceman who did a tour of duty in Iraq, only to die back here in the states at the hands of a drunk driver.

The fact that they stood up to do something earns high marks in my book. If you get the chance to attend next year, I'd highly recommend it.