Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (98_searay)      Join Date: May 2004       06-11-2005, 2:55 PM Reply   
does anyone know if there is going to be a malibu open this year in nor*cal like there has been?
-alex-
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-11-2005, 5:04 PM Reply   
Malibu Open is in Dousman, WI this year and it's in 2 weekends. I heard that there's no wakeboarding though.
Old    wakeboarder408            06-11-2005, 8:55 PM Reply   
Alex, there's no Malibu Open this year in Nor Cal. Last year in Sacramento (Bell Aqua) was the last one.
Old     (98_searay)      Join Date: May 2004       06-11-2005, 10:32 PM Reply   
well thats gay! i was looking foward to it, well i hope wet thursdays is better this year!
-alex-
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-13-2005, 8:02 AM Reply   
I understand Wet Thursday's have also been cancelled.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
Stay posted... Looks like there will be a series on the last Saturday (starting in July) of every month out at lost isle. We'll get the info up as soon as its dialed.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-13-2005, 9:33 AM Reply   
jason, will you keep us posted on that? i heard they were postponed for two weeks, i was looking foward to those this year:-(
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-13-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
There will be a wakeboard exhibition. Here is the press release

World WaterSki Pros (WWSP) is excited to announce that it is presenting with one of the world’s leading inboard boat manufacturers, Malibu Boats, the 2005 Malibu Open Water Ski Championships in Dousman, WI on June 24, 25, and 26. To be held on Lake Lynn Louise, the event promises to showcase the world\'s greatest professional skiers in slalom, shortboard, and jump events. The Malibu Open has been home to more world records than any other professional event, and this year plans to be no exception. “The Malibu Open is widely renowned as the event that\'s created with the athletes and performance in mind. No other professional water ski tournament can boast the number of records earned at the Malibu Open year after year,” says Lani Farmer, Team Manager and Event Director for Malibu Boats. “Our selection of world class sites combined with the perfect pull of the Malibu Response has proven to be a winning combination.”

One of the competition highlights will be WWSP\'s Super Final, a one-on-one format where the best two athletes of the weekend in each event will go “mano a mano” to determine who will be champion for 2005. "It felt really good to win the Malibu Open last year, especially after joining the Malibu team”, said slalom skier Will Asher. “I am looking forward to the tournament this year because there will be such a strong competition field and an exciting event all around."

And, for the first time, the Malibu Open will feature top nationally ranked amateurs going for the first ever Malibu Open Men’s and Women’s Amateur title, in a competition round prior to the semifinals on Saturday.

Dousman, WI local Dr. Jim Michaels, one of the top ranked amateur water skiers, is not only responsible for the construction of the event\'s lake, which is now ranked among the top five private ski lakes in the world, but will be living his dream as he competes for the first time against the world’s best skiers. A holder of the Masters Men national record, Michaels will have to increase his boat speed to 36 mph and be mentally prepared to “leave nothing on the dock.”

The Malibu Open weekend will also showcase one of the greatest, no holds barred, wakeboard exhibitions ever. Top riders, including ESPY award winner Dallas Friday, will have 5 minutes each to do the sickest moves they have. Any boat path and unlimited falls will be allowed.

In addition to skiing and wakeboarding, visitors to the event will also be treated to a specially designed ski show featuring Wisconsin’s Rock Aqua Jays, on Sunday, the day of the finals. The Rock Aqua Jays are sponsored by Malibu Boats and boast several state and national ski show championship titles. Renowned for their agility and precision, these skiers will amaze crowds with their flips and human pyramids.

Given the location\'s proximity to several major cities, record crowds are anticipated for the competition weekend. Never before has southeastern Wisconsin hosted such a prestigious water skiing event, or one that is set to break so many skiing world records.