Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-17-2011, 11:01 PM Reply   
Jason got a new boat and decided we would throw a system in it. He bought the boat from some where back east and took it straight to my garage. We had the "pleasure" of taking the tower off. What a P.I.T.A and removed the swim deck where it would sit while it under went system construction
Here is a Pic of it.

We tore the boat all apart so we could see what we were working with.

I was pretty much at a complete loss for what I was going to install in the boat. But we knew we wanted a big battery bank and charging system. So I started with getting some batterys.
12 US-145's

This is the space I had to work with.

So I got started on the 2 Battery boxes the would hold the 12 Battery's

This is pretty much how the battery's would sit in the boat.

I took the Boxes and had them Rhino lines and added the doors. Jason still wants to be able to have the factor ballast bags sit on top of the battery boxes. They needed to be strong enough to have a 300 Lb bag sitting on top of them
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-17-2011, 11:57 PM Reply   
sweet man. why no angle iron or something to make that thing a bit stronger?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-18-2011, 7:52 AM Reply   
These boxes are super strong.Tight tollerances wood glue and screws make these boxes pretty bullet proof. I had built a sub box that we later took out and tryed to destroy. I was very supprised at how strong the box was. Unless the boxes got water into the wood these things are just fine..
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-18-2011, 8:04 AM Reply   
Can't wait to see the progress pics!
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-18-2011, 8:17 AM Reply   
Grant - I was wondering when you were going to do another install with pictures.

Look pretty top notch so far and can't wait to see the steps involved and finished product.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-18-2011, 8:47 AM Reply   
Can't wait to see the rest of it. That's a super nice boat.

Not going to need any extra ballast in those rear compartments.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-18-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
Ditto guido, thats 420lbs of batteries + box (40 lbs?) PER SIDE!

Looks great G! Although, wont changing the oil fiter be a little tough?

Last edited by wakecumberland; 04-18-2011 at 8:59 AM.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-18-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
Adam: It has a remote oil filter so changing the oil is no problem. But I know what your talking about. I had to take the starter out and had to remove the battery box. I had the battery's out and box out in under 15 min's so its not that big of a deal if you need to get to the side or under the motor.
Evan. Im pretty sure he just wants the extra for wake surfing or weighting one side.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-18-2011, 10:07 AM Reply   
So with the Battery's taken care of I started working on the Sub box's. Like I said above I was pretty much at a complete loss at what to install in this thing. I started asking around "What would you install" to all my stereo buddy's. Boat's are so diffrent. The same system in one boat can sound completley diffrent in another boat. Example I have re-done the system in my boat like 5 times to get it where its at. When installing a system for a friend or customer you don't want them to be "the learning curve" or be working on their boat off and on over the next 5 years to get it right.
I kept hearing how well the X-Star's Ryan (Chucktronics) had done sounded. So I decided to to in-list Ryan's help in laying out a system for this boat. I had heard great things about the CIE boat and Blake's X -Star. I knew I wanted to run "4" 12's but how or where was still up in the air? Ryan sent me a few pic's of the "4" 12's he had done in the other X-Stars and I decided to copy his system layout. "Thank You" Here is how I got started.
I made a Small (But to scale) cardboard template to see how the wooffer's would sit in the passenger compartment.
The tape on the floor is the out line of the area the box will take up. Mike Ski was nice enough to calculate the air space and size for me so I got started on the boxes

After I cut out the holes for the subs the space where the subs almost touches got pretty thin. I had to add some extra bracing to add strength after I was finished it was real strong in that area.

The Boxes came out real nice. I will post some pics of them in a few hr's
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-18-2011, 1:37 PM Reply   
You better make sure the weight is evenly distributed! I have been contracted to personally test the wake once the install is done.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-18-2011, 1:47 PM Reply   
Sub Box's

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-18-2011, 1:54 PM Reply   
Nice. Sub boxes look great. The 4-12's worked awesome in our boat and still left plenty of room for gear, etc.

X-stars like to be rear heavy, so that battery location should work awesome. With the factory ballast and some extra weight up front it'll be kickin. Mike, Let us know how that test goes.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-18-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
By now I had come up with a list of Equipment:
Head Unit= Alpine Ipod unit with 2 Command remotes
EQ= Zapco DSP
Tower Spearker's =3" NVS Deviant's
Tower Speaker Amp's= 3 Arc Audio SE 2300's
Hull Speakers= Stock JL audio 7 inc seprates
Hull Speaker Amp= Arc Audio SE 2300
Sub's= "4" JL Audio 12 W-6 V2
Sub Amp= Arc Audio SE 4000

With some equipment in hand I got started on the Amp Rack. I had stoped by Ryan's to pick up the DSP and some Goodies and he showed me the Amp Rack's he had done for the other boat's. Again I decided to copy a rack he had done from another boat.

This is how I started:

I added the shelfs

The Arc Amps vent out the ends so I added windows at each end of the rack to vent and get to terminals

The Rack needed extra support so I made a ring to go around the window to give it extra support

With The ring installed

This is the reack installed in the boat. This is the Area in front of the driver. This would be the Drivers side open bow seat
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-18-2011, 3:10 PM Reply   
This is an awesome install, I wish I had that much space in my boat for stereo equipment!
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       04-18-2011, 3:54 PM Reply   
looking good G
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       04-18-2011, 3:54 PM Reply   
three 2300's on the tower? Swinging for the fence.....
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-18-2011, 5:28 PM Reply   
looks pretty sweet, but why no cut outs in the bottom of the shelves to let the amps breath some more?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-18-2011, 6:34 PM Reply   
Im gonna run some squirrel cage fans on each shelf I think the flat area will work better than a cut out. But the cut out is a cool Idea! I wonder if the amp below would help heet the amp above if the shelf was cut out. Im pretty sure it would. Brian had made a suggestion to lift the amps slightly off the shelf to promote air flow. With each amp having a fan it will work killer.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-18-2011, 7:54 PM Reply   
i like where this thread is going ... please continue...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-18-2011, 9:40 PM Reply   
I'll take another please, I'm diggin it
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-18-2011, 10:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Im gonna run some squirrel cage fans on each shelf I think the flat area will work better than a cut out. But the cut out is a cool Idea! I wonder if the amp below would help heet the amp above if the shelf was cut out. Im pretty sure it would. Brian had made a suggestion to lift the amps slightly off the shelf to promote air flow. With each amp having a fan it will work killer.
wish i was further along in my degree and i could tell you that forsure...but im pretty sure it wouldnt heat up the other amp. I think the air in that compartment will work like a thermal reservoir (heat would be absorbed but wouldnt raise the temp of the air significantly.) especially if you have air moving with the fans, you should be golden if you add some cut outs under the amps!

Test it with a lap top, my apple has no fan, and gets super hot when its really working and its on my lap or a desk, if i prop it up (still no fan blowing air) it doesnt get nearly as hot.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-18-2011, 10:34 PM Reply   
heat rises, put the boat amp on top since it should not be working as hard as the tower amps and won't generate as much heat as the others. Don't cut holes in the shelves, the lower amps will heat up the upper amps (heat rises...). Don't fight the natural airflow in the cavity. Draw the air over the amps, don't blow the air on the amps. Add another defroster vent on top of the dash to let the heat out of that space (like an attic vent). You might even want to put plex panels on the front and back of the amp rack so the air draw across the amps is more effective if each cavity will have it's own fan, maybe add inlet ducts that draw air from low cool air from under the seat.

The hardest thing to understand about fans is they add heat, it needs a place to escape.
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-19-2011, 7:41 AM Reply   
Looking Good "G"!!!!!!!!

Cooling:I would look at bringing in fresh air from around the drivers feet (maybe 2-3 4"box fans)and then follow up with either more box fans on the back of the rack blowing towards the front of the boat or the paddle wheel fans on each shelf of the amp rack . If you look at the amp design, you will notice that the fins and majority of cooling should be applied to the lower portion of the amplifier as the cooling fins are on the bottom of the amplifier . These amplifiers ,more than most, should be lightly suspended to allow airflow underneath . If you can direct airflow in some fashion as mike noted, the paddle wheel fans should be sufficient , but do the math with each fans cfm value to help determine that.

Excellent work, cant wait to hear it !
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-19-2011, 7:48 AM Reply   
I can't wait to see the final product. Will this one be available for Spring Ride contest?

This could be the biggest install in WW history????
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-19-2011, 8:01 AM Reply   
Whats the budget on this install? $16K?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-19-2011, 8:20 AM Reply   
Not that we should be talking cost, but $16k might not even cover the cost of all that equipment wiring and materials. I doubt that Grant works for free as well.
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-19-2011, 8:27 AM Reply   
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!

I'm sure I'll hear you crank it from here in Texas...
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-19-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
I was just thinking equipment. I'm sure installed its going to be over $20k.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-19-2011, 8:31 AM Reply   
Mike that's good advice on the Hull Amp. So did I forget to mention that the Plan was to install a Massive SE 4000 in this same compartment!

This Thing is HUGE. It takes "4" 0-AGW imputs 2 power and 2 ground!!!!

The plan was to install this amp in the same area as the Amp rack "The Towering Inferno". I was gonna put it along the side of the boat against the hull drivers side but I'm having 2nd thoughts and looking for another area. The problem is after the Big Dog is installed I wont have much room for the amp rack. So I will just keep looking.

Hate: I don't think so, Im pretty sure Gunner has as much stuff in his Bu and Ryan's boat is pretty loaded up. Its the Biggest one I have done.
Adam: Yea and keep going ! Don't Ask Don't Tell! LOL I gotta say Jason has been great. He don't ask why and get's people payed. He is gonna have one sweet system when its finished I could never do this professionally. Customers that want to save money and cut corners, NO THANKS! Its fun doing system's for your buddy's. Speaking of Buddy's I gotta get Clay off the farm, He said he would come give me a hand and put some of his signature touches on J''s boat.
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-19-2011, 8:31 AM Reply   
Awesome Grant, Finally a blast from the past old school wakeworld. BlingBling doing a boat install. I am sure it will be rockin. Just a thought, you could easily make that amp rack out of 3/4" or 1" square metal tubing and those amps will have air circulating all around them. If you dont already have a hookup on those batteries, look me up next time. Whens the LED shipment coming in? lol
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-19-2011, 10:38 AM Reply   
G, Good point! Now if I could just figure out how to convice the wife to let me lay a complete tower, amps and other misc. gear all over the house while I complete projects! Kudos
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-19-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
Can't wait to hear it live. That 4000 looks rediculous. Ryan did the CIE boat up LOUD and that boat has more of everything. Holy crap. It's gonna make ears bleed.

The cooling fans in ours worked awesome. We never had a single thermal shutdown of any of the amps. Ryan added a air inlet on the side of the walk through. I'm sure he's given you all the details.

I'm excited to see what Mr. Chucktronics has up his sleeve for the new CIE Malibu LSV. His ideas are always bada$$.

Grant, will Jason's boat make it to Spring Ride? It looks like the progress is cranking along. Spring Ride is still 2.5 weeks away. You guys doing the BUMP event again this year?
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-19-2011, 12:07 PM Reply   
Wow.... That is insane. Everything looks great G, keep up the good work! More importantly, keep posting pictures!!!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-19-2011, 1:12 PM Reply   
Here is the Rhino Lined Amp rack
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-19-2011, 1:15 PM Reply   
2.5 Week's away No I don't think so. Im shooting for Memorial Day. But let's hope I get it done sooner.
BUMP yes we are doing another one June 11th
Old     (cprfab)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-19-2011, 2:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
I can't wait to see the final product. Will this one be available for Spring Ride contest?

This could be the biggest install in WW history????
What consists of "the biggest install in WW history" ?
Is it money spent? Equipment? Amount of power?
Ryan (Chucktronics) and I have the same amp/processor/deck set-up in our boats as Grant is installing, do we fall short because we dont have four w7's?
Here's what we did to my boat last year and there will be some upgrades in lighting and eq's for this year http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785352
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-19-2011, 4:07 PM Reply   
Factorykitted???
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       04-19-2011, 4:20 PM Reply   
great work again, but not this definitely isnt the biggest install in ww history, maybe top 15?
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-19-2011, 5:31 PM Reply   
Always impressive Grant. I really like the Rhino linned battery and sub Box
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-19-2011, 6:17 PM Reply   
Love seeing the work you do G its always on point! Its always funny to me when people chime in and ask "Did you think about this?" and you already had 9 times out of 10.

Top installs on WW would be a tough one. Would they have to be installs that were lived out here on WW as this one is?
In no partucular order (as as best I can remember non shop and non manufacturer):
-Malibu with all the 12+ Bullets on the tower and over 800 AH in batteries (LIquid Trends)
-X Star with all the Wet sounds (Chucktronics)
-White and Green Malibu with loads of Arc Audio 6-8 Arc 12's, somwhere around 12 tower speakers Focal I believe, Amps all under plexi on the floor
-8 Tens Centurian with well 8 tens and I believe a 3 some on the tower plus some Pro 60's on the outside
-The Texas stereo project Factorykitteds Bu with all the LED's, lazers, fog machine TV I guess.
-Shawn Hammonds Eargasm and Eargasm II Both with 6 NVS on the tower, loads of Zapco and a function turntable to spin vinyl
-Grants Nautique with 4 12W7's individually powered with SE 2300's, Enzo box, Insane charging system off the alternator and of course the transom lights and RGB's
-Got Carbon Fiber Nautique (CAR?) with the 6 NVS on the tower and 4 12W7's
-Gunnars would have to be up there with all the ARC SE power and LED's

Thats about all I can recall on that level.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       04-19-2011, 7:34 PM Reply   
werd pain. If i ever manage to get a boat bigger than a 210, so I can fit some real audio, I'll try my best to make the list

I wish I could hear this boat with 4 sealed 12"...... i've never been impressed with any of the sealed enclosure boats that I've heard.... But there is a first time for everything!
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-20-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
Hate N Pain quick correction the Malibu we did had a total of 20 speakers on the tower.
Your list is spot on, these are always the insane installs that come to mind when I think of the biggest and baddest installs I have seen. WW is a breeding ground for bad a$$ installs, some of the best I have ever seen.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-20-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
Yup for sure... I love the concentration of boats from the Bay Area on your list. We've got some seriously loud stereo's around here. I guess that's what happens when you have all these killer installers close by.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-20-2011, 3:20 PM Reply   
Yep Johnny, I just looked at the picture and sure enought 20! Crazy!

You guys definitly have a lot of good choices when it comes to marine audio, which is rare.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-20-2011, 4:23 PM Reply   
thanks for the mention Hate and Murphy!

Last edited by factorykitted; 04-20-2011 at 4:26 PM.
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-20-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
Where are you guys getting your racks and boxes rhino lined? Taking it to a shop or having someone do it with a home set up? I would like to do that as well but don't want to pay an arm and a leg to have things coated.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-20-2011, 5:55 PM Reply   
Rhino Liner is a brand that you get at a professional shop. As with all things - you get what you pay for and while Rhino Liner is not the cheapest option, but it is one of the best bed liner materials on the market.

Do you research if you do a DIY liner kit. You will need to do some prep work prior to putting the final coat on
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-20-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
stay tuned for the Sunasation Dominator Project...
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-20-2011, 8:54 PM Reply   
Sweet, I made Hate's top 10. Hahaha
G- lookin sic as always, can't wait to see finished product.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-21-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
Hell yah ya did, 8 9500's will do that for you
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-21-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
Hate, what about the "Ya Herd Me" system?
K maybe not.

Grant nice work man. Love your install threads.
Old     (brianbass)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2011, 10:09 PM Reply   
GAWD DAMN "G", that install is FAWKING AMAZING so far!!! GREAT WORK and Jason, you are in for 1 wild summer in that boat www.DJBrianBASS.com
Old     (no_tools)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-21-2011, 10:33 PM Reply   
thats some serious power. arc deff killed it with those power houses. thoes dub 6's are gonna pound.
Old     (bradcraig78)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-04-2011, 2:45 PM Reply   
Any updated pics?
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-04-2011, 6:01 PM Reply   
I agree, I need a fix, lol.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-04-2011, 6:51 PM Reply   
Does anyone know if Rhino Liner or something similar comes in a self-installation kit?
Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       05-04-2011, 6:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve02 View Post
Does anyone know if Rhino Liner or something similar comes in a self-installation kit?
You can buy spray cans of it... used it on the frame of my winch that I built!
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-06-2011, 8:13 AM Reply   
spray can isnt near as good as the real thing
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-06-2011, 9:17 AM Reply   
When are we going to see some pictures of the progress. I am sure that it will be top notch!
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-06-2011, 9:32 PM Reply   
Good stuff Grant. The 4000 amp look's crazy !
Old     (burtonrider77)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-07-2011, 8:26 PM Reply   
Man im gonna be bummed if that thing comes into my shop and I have to get to the back of the drivers dash!!!!! very dope install though!!!!
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2011, 7:11 AM Reply   
Most of the Rhino or LineX guys have no problem spraying boxes and such. We still have a Linex set up at the shop, and spray stuff all the time for a few stereo shops. You used be able to buy DIY kits on Ebay that worked OK, didnt look awesome, but good.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-08-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve02 View Post
Alsliner.com. I used this on my truck and must say it is as good if not better than Rhino Liner.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-08-2011, 6:34 PM Reply   
Sounds like a killer system...but I cant see the pics.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-08-2011, 7:08 PM Reply   
what happened to your photobucket account dude? all the pics you posted are toast.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-12-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
Damn! I really want to see how this is all progressing. G whats up with the photobucket?
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-12-2011, 8:16 AM Reply   
I'll be the first to say........THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-12-2011, 8:54 AM Reply   
i saw the thread when the pics were active.. trust me G will post them back up, and its well worth the wait!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-12-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
I had to upgrade to Photo Bucket PRO. Had me bent over, Had to bust out the CC to get my Pic's out of Jail. They should all be up and working. Be sure to refresh your page to get the pic's
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-12-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
Just did a couple of F5's and still no love on the pics...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-12-2011, 10:17 AM Reply   
Yea photo bucket has not made the Links work yett??? I hope they fix that. I would hate to have to go and re load new pic's
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-12-2011, 4:50 PM Reply   
The Pic's are back up and working, Ill have more progress pic's this week.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-13-2011, 7:04 PM Reply   
Good stuff thanx for fixing the pics. Looks great sure it wil lsound just as good.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-16-2011, 5:58 PM Reply   
Ok here is the Latest: let's start with the Bass Amp mount. It' a 3/4 MDF board Rhino lined with T" nuts and studs comming out of them.

I left the back side raw so the glue would stick to it.

Then I cut slat's in the wood and drilled some holes in it as well. I found if the glue has somthing to bight into like slats or holes it has much better grip.

The back side of the board has a chanel for the metal brakets that support the board and bolt into the rub rail they sit flush in the board

Each side of the amp has a strap that go's between the feet and provides a mounting surface. It elevates the amp and provides a mounting surface

Here is the amp board mounted to the boat and the amp waiting to be hung. I say " hung" because thats what it does. The T" nust provide studs that the straps hang on to, The board has a ledge that supports the amp from the side. (This was a tip Ryan gave me) That amp is so heavy it just gives it that bit more support.

Here is what it looks like, colse up It dosen't need any hardwear to just hangs kind of like hanging a picture on a wall. Then it's bolted down. I like mounting amp's this way. If you ever need to take them up or down its a simple job.

Now the task of running the "Annaconda" this one amp take "4" Zero gauge wires. When you get 4 zeros all together its quite a Large wire to deal with. This plasitc that I got from Johnny I made it to match the bottom side of the X-star seet's This plastic is glued to the underside of the seet's and creates a channel to mount/screw the wires down to. The holes and stuff on the top are for grip for the glue just like the amp board.

This is what the underside of the passengers seets looks like with the plastic rail mounted. The Zero runs right alone and in the channel

Like this

This is a Before Pic of Jason STOCK wire Nightmare. Typical stock boat wire job. I took out the small on off switch and replaced it with a larger Blue Sea switch

And this is where I am at now. Here is the break down on the power distrbution. "2" Zeros come down and into the Fuse holders. These come directley off Battery Banks 1 and 2 they go to the Battery switch. The other 2 fuse holders go diretley to the SE 4000 Bass Amp. So you have 4 Zeros going to the Bass Amp and 4 Zeros going up to the Drivers feet area to power the other amp's and replace the stock power run

I ripped out and replaced all of his stock power wire. Ill be sure to show you a pic of the mountain of old wire that came out of this boat. I have installed almost 200 feet of Zero gauge in this boat and Solderd about 50 Zero gauge battery terminals
Here is a shot of the Balmar Alternator.

Last edited by grant_west; 05-16-2011 at 6:01 PM.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-16-2011, 6:38 PM Reply   
Nice work man, I like seeing installs that aren't dictated by a quote and when there is free reign to dial things in. Subscribed!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-16-2011, 6:56 PM Reply   
Damn! There is some serious wire going into this thing. You can just call the wire 4 ought, 2 ought, etc from here on in

I always appreciate your attention to detail and willingness to follow through with it. The last part takes a lot of patience.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       05-16-2011, 9:42 PM Reply   
As always Nice work!

Grant, do you solder and crimp, or just solder.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-17-2011, 9:00 AM Reply   
Newty: This is the first time I "Solderd Only" the connections. I used to always use a Hammer style crimper
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-17-2011, 11:53 AM Reply   
^^^ Grant got to admit that the solder only works really well. Have you tried pulling the 2 apart yet.? Good luck, we hung about 200 lbs and the sheathing gave before the wire/solder joint did.

-got to stop giving up that insider info....
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-17-2011, 12:30 PM Reply   
Solder really is the right way to do it. It's a lot of work, but it eliminates the heat and loss that a typical crimp connector will create. Plus, unless you get it to the melting temp of solder (which you wont) it'll never fail.

Killer work, man. Can't wait to see/hear this boat. What's going on the tower? Did I miss that?