Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeaholic1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-24-2010, 1:56 AM Reply   
Hi guys

Ive been riding the lyman for 2-3 years and really love it. Seeing that LF is not going make one for 2011 what do you suggest to get instead ? Is there any shapes that are close to the Lyman or has is got a new name maybe ?

Thanks!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-24-2010, 4:31 AM Reply   
Maybe try out the Watson. Personally, I didn't think it was too far off from the Lyman. I felt it was a tad slower, and a bit more wake-to-wake'ish, but overall the ride felt similar.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-24-2010, 4:49 AM Reply   
The Lyman shape was loosely based around the Trip. The Trip is considered a pro model, but is still a great board and is as close to the Lyman as you will get. The Watson, in my opinion, is nothing like the Lyman.
Old     (wakeaholic1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-24-2010, 5:00 AM Reply   
Thanks Jay... I know the Watson pretty well.. rode it 3 years before the Lyman and felt exactly like you described. Could give it another shot, but would prefer something with a continous/faster feel like the Lyman.. Still cant believe they scrapped it..
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-24-2010, 5:39 AM Reply   
Lyman is leaving and they knew it.....if they were smart i would have changed the model and still pressed the mold.
Old     (wakeaholic1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-24-2010, 5:44 AM Reply   
Hmm.. good point about the Trip.. has anybody tried Trip and/Or Lyman and care to comment on the differences ? I dont see many people ride the Trip.. Always thought it looked a bit like the Substance which is a horrible board in my opinion.

Last edited by wakeaholic1; 08-24-2010 at 5:46 AM. Reason: grammar error
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-24-2010, 5:46 AM Reply   
Lyman rode the trip before his pro model came to. I loved the trip when I had mine, but that was a while back and can't compare it to the lyman.
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2010, 7:40 AM Reply   
I believe he rode the LF Team before his pro model came out. At least that's what he rides in the Truth and Updog.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
he rode the team and then the trip. He rides the trip in push process. I am currently riding the trip. Trip is nothing like the substance.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-24-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
Trip is completely different than the substance and the Team was the original Trip shape. When LF brought the Trip back a few years back the only change they made to the Team shape was to mold in the formly removable fins and boom you have the new and improved Trip. I rode the team for many years and switched to the Trip when it came out because it was essentially the same board. I broke my Trip and bought the Lyman and in my honest opinion, they ride identical, except that the Lyman has a little more snap of the wake with controllable release points via fin placement and a hair softer landings due to the bottom shape.

I would still be riding one today, Team or Trip, if LF had not come out with the Witness, which is my favorite shape of all time. The only downside to the 2011 Trip is the graphic, personally I think the 2010's look a lot better, but the graphic on the Trip is true to the heritage of the board. It is one of the best and probably the longest lasting shapes in wake today besides the Motiv, which is Murray's pro model from like 2004. The best part about it, it's half the cost of the Lyman. You can buy it with decent LF bindings for $299 retail and still have an awesome board. Hope this helps.

Last edited by jmuthafnp; 08-24-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old    alanp            08-24-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
why not just keep riding the lyman? i rode the old premier shape forever. plus you can get smoking deals on the lyman. just buy a new lyman
Old     (ColoRadDude)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2010, 8:20 PM Reply   
You might also want to check out Harley's new board. I haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet, but I hear good things.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-24-2010, 8:43 PM Reply   
The Trip is wicked, but lands pretty harsh. If they added a center spine I think it would be perfect.

You might want to try the S4, I thought it rode somewhat similar to the Lyman, but better.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-24-2010, 9:08 PM Reply   
I've rode the Lyman, and the S4 is just as fast but much better more consistent release off the wake, in my opinion it's the best board LF makes. I ride the Slingshot Response which is pretty similar to these boards with some flex and I love it. If you haven't tried a flex board yet, definitely do it, you might end up loving it
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-25-2010, 5:01 AM Reply   
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm