Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (epiclife)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-19-2013, 6:51 PM Reply   
Hey guys, A friend of mine is buying a boat and needs help choosing. Please give us your thoughts.

Its a family of 5 that just tried wakeboarding for the first time and loved it, they are all beginners. The boat will be used on inland lakes in Michigan.

Option #1
2012 Malibu Vride demo boat with 96 hours. Options: Cruise/ballast/Wedge/Tower racks/Trailer Cost $49,900 Sold as new with a full new boat warranty

Option #2
2013 Moomba Outback New. Options: Cruise/Ballast/Tower racks/Bimini Cover/Trailer. Cost $41,000

Last edited by epiclife; 06-19-2013 at 6:53 PM. Reason: forgot moomba cost
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-19-2013, 7:01 PM Reply   
I owned a Moomba from brand new but in this case, I'd go V-ride all day long. Much much better wake.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-19-2013, 7:03 PM Reply   
Malibu. Hands down. It is on a different level than the Moomba. I owned a Supra, which is a big step up from Moomba (Moomba is the value brand of Supra much like Chevy to Cadillac). I would take a Malibu over a Supra just about every time, so Malibu over Moomba is a no brainer.

Your resale on the Malibu will also be much better. Tell them to spend the extra money.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-19-2013, 7:34 PM Reply   
Malibu. The boat will slap you in the chop but at least the seats have good padding.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-19-2013, 8:25 PM Reply   
The Vride is going to win that all day. Not just because Malibu is a higher end boat, but because the Vride is a bigger more wake specific boat. The Outback is Moomba's ski/family/cross over boat. I'm also guessing for 41K, that is the DD outback not the Outback V so really not a fair or apples to apples comparison. In any way!!
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-20-2013, 4:53 AM Reply   
Vride...... /thread
Old     (epiclife)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-20-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback guys! The quote is for the Outback V, not the DD.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       06-20-2013, 9:30 AM Reply   
cough..MB sports F21 Tomcat..Cough... 55k Brand spanking new fully loaded..you can get good used ones for mid 40s
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-20-2013, 3:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeko View Post
cough..MB sports F21 Tomcat..Cough... 55k Brand spanking new fully loaded..you can get good used ones for mid 40s
LOL, you think you can get an F21 fully loaded for 55k (fully loaded means heater, Tower B, cav plate, LSA, lighting options, etc.). That would mean you are getting a base F21 plus 27k MSRP in options for 55k. No chance.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-20-2013, 3:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
LOL, you think you can get an F21 fully loaded for 55k (fully loaded means heater, Tower B, cav plate, LSA, lighting options, etc.). That would mean you are getting a base F21 plus 27k MSRP in options for 55k. No chance.
agreed, might get close to that in Cali where they are made without any freight, 2000 each when you have a load of 4 on the east coast, but I do have to say that the standard list on MB is pretty stout, 6 WS in boat speakers, 10" WS sub, bluetooth head, led's in all storage and cabin, bimini, travel cover, 1800 lbs under the floor pumpless ballast, and the list goes on.....oh and I forgot the killer wakes
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-20-2013, 12:24 PM Reply   
I bought a new Moomba Outback in 2005, now own a Moomba LSV. I also seriously looked at the Vride when I was looking to upgrade.

Comparing the 2 side by side, I'd take the Vride and day. The Outback is a good boat, but it's a direct drive and has a very low freeboard. It's better suited for a family that likes to ski a lot.
The Vride is laid out better, obviously V drive, deeper hull, and throws a great wake. I don't know how the newer ones are now, but when I looked at them in 08, the Vride was very stripped down. No radio, plastic cup holders, just very bare. The LSV offered me a lot more for less money so I obviously went that direction. Despite what others here may think, the Moomba is not of lesser quality. My 07 LSV still looks new. No issues with vinyl, seat cushions are nice and comfortable, nothing has gone wrong with the boat at all. They have also made significant upgrades to the boat since I got mine, the newer ones are much nicer and offer even more.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-20-2013, 1:03 PM Reply   
I bought a 2013 Outback V after owning a 2008 Outback for 5 years and nearly 600 hours. Both boats have been great, and I love the larger feel of the V.

I'd consider ordering an OBV exactly how you want it - that's what I've done both times and its been great.

What part of MI, and what lake?
Old    TN22            06-20-2013, 1:35 PM Reply   
I would save the money and get the 2013 OBV but that's me.
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-20-2013, 1:37 PM Reply   
I'd sell your buddy my Axis a22, located in GR
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-20-2013, 3:40 PM Reply   
41K for an outbackV is the cheapest I have ever heard of a new Vdrive boat. Thats is a steal. The next cheapest Vdrive I have ever seen was a Tige R20 for 46K. If they can buy an OutbackV for 41K go for it. They will be able to use it the rest of the year and sell it for what they paid. I bet if you double check that is for the DD Outback. They sell in that range. Outback V's sell closer to 50K. I looked at a pretty basic 2012 last year and it was right at 50K.

If thats right buy it and sell for a profit if they don't like it.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       06-21-2013, 8:03 AM Reply   
There are some dealers in cali/nevada who have really good deals. Even so, I bought mine out of california and hired a shipping company from uship.com for $800 to haul it 1600 miles. There are deals to be found

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Ski-Boat...e=-1&Keywords=

I buy mine from a wakeboard camp with 250 hours same model year for mid 40s...
Bang for buck..you cant go wrong! The wake and surf are tremendous!
Sorry to highjack thread. There are good deals.

I personally am selling my 2012 Fully loaded tomcat with 280 hours for 44500....
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       06-21-2013, 8:06 AM Reply   
Here! I found one brand new for 53k in oregon

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=37187

2k worst case for shipping...you have a brand new boat for 55k... as promised lol
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-21-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
it's really a 2012, 2012 tower, 2012 lockers, storage passenger set set up, etc. looks base at that, my team rider has a 2012 with some options on it, plate, underwater LEDs, logo carpet etc. we will take 52 for it with under 75 hours
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-23-2013, 11:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeko View Post
Here! I found one brand new for 53k in oregon

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=37187

2k worst case for shipping...you have a brand new boat for 55k... as promised lol
You said "fully loaded." That is FAR from fully loaded. I'd say that is barely optioned at all.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-21-2013, 8:52 AM Reply   
I love me some MB, but i'd take a vride at $50k for a family of newbs every day. The malibu wake is much more newb/rookie/beginner friendly imho.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-21-2013, 9:11 AM Reply   
Don't the F21's with full ballast need to go around 23+ to keep the wake clean and are side to side sensitive? I agree with Shawndoggy, the consistency of the Bu wake is hard to beat for beginners, and when fully weighted down, are also hard to beat.

And in 5 years, the Bu will have the best resale, imo.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-21-2013, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Don't the F21's with full ballast need to go around 23+ to keep the wake clean and are side to side sensitive? I agree with Shawndoggy, the consistency of the Bu wake is hard to beat for beginners, and when fully weighted down, are also hard to beat.

And in 5 years, the Bu will have the best resale, imo.
I think the side to side thing is a little overblown, but yeah, the bu wake is smaller and less steep and cleans up slower. If everybody is prepared to ride 21+ MB is a great value. A "clean" wake at low speed is slightly overblown, because you can always cheat to one side or the other on an MB and get that side to clean up. If you aren't good enough to ride more than 17, I can't imagine why it would be important to have an immaculate opposite side wake.

That said, going 17 or 18 and cheating to one side to clean the wake up on an MB will still result in a really really big (relatively speaking, and especially in comparison to the flatter 'bu) and steep wake. Intimidating for newbs. Some people get past that level in a day or two and can ride faster, some people never ever get much better.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-23-2013, 3:11 PM Reply   
lol don't get nitrous started on the meaning of "fully loaded"!