Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-02-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
I've been working a lot with the ballast in my 04 X2 and it seems like it's a little different every time we go out.
First, I replaced the stock tanks with the Fly High Pro 750s, which I fill about 3/4s. I'm still using the stock center sack (has anyone swapped out with anything bigger?) and I have about 700lbs of lead in the bow.

I have the standard Predator 310 engine and it seems like it takes a while to get on plane in that configuration. I'm guessing that I'm running a total of 1000-1200 in the back, 300 in the locker and 700 up front. We ride, typically, at 21mph, with one or two passengers. The wake doesn't seem as firm as it could be. It's definitely a nice wake, but just seems like I'm missing something, maybe I need more weight in the cabin vs the nose or stern? I'm not getting the "buck" that I've been hearing about for so long.

Please post your weighting configuration on your X1/X2 and if you have pics, that would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
Scott, I have a feeling part of the problem is the speed you are riding at. The wake doesn't seem to clean up with that much additional weight until around 23mph.

Lately we've gotten the wakes of the X1/X2 to the point where we are very happy. Here's the weight set up in my boat:

Stock ballast (rear tanks and center bag)
-500 sac in the nose all the way forward
-320 lbs lead under the bow cushions
-205 lbs lead at the back of the cockpit area.
-160 lbs lead at the far front of the v-drive compartments (80lbs per side)
-260 lbs lead at the far rear of the v-drive compartments (130 per side)

When we have less than 4 riders we add weight to compensate for bodies in the boat by way of a 600lb sac on the floor that we run anywhere from 1/2 to completely full.

It seems to get the job done very well. The wake is killer at around 24-25 mph. I have the MCX and have no trouble getting it on plane, but I think the Predator would do it without a problem too.

It's been posted before, but here's a pic of how the boat sits when loaded:

Upload
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-02-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
Evan, thanks for the quick post! I guess I'll need to break out the handheld GPS because it seems like anything over 21 is too fast... maybe perfect pass is a little off. I should clarify that the wake is "clean", just not as firm as I believe it should be. I'll try speeding up a little bit and seeing what it feels like this afternoon.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
Yeah, it's gonna depend on your rope length too. We're riding at 80-85' generally. If you are riding at 70' then 24 is going to feel really fast. It's all about dialing it in for your riding style.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-02-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
Hmmm... good point. I usually ride at 75' I'll try taking a longer length and speeding up.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-02-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
Hey Evan do you have that post saved in a word file or something and just copy and paste it every time the topic comes up?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
Eric: Ha, ha, I should.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-02-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
Evan, call me at home
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-02-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
I thought I'd seen this type of post more than once before on this board, when I had my old boat, but when I went to search for threads specifically dealing with weighting the X2, it didn't yield much more than arguments on which boat threw the best wake.

I rode today with the back sacks almost full (probably around 650-700 each) at 80' and 21.5mph. The wake was very nice. i'm still thinking of adding some more weight in the cabin and perhaps stepping down in pitch with the prop. I currently have a 4 blade but no clue what the pitch is. Thanks again for the suggestions!