Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (brentcochran)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-04-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
Has anyone tried the intake method shown here: http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/BallastSystem1.asp

I was reading through this document and was surprised to read the you are supposed to T into the main intake for your engine. I've heard of removing your plug and using that hole, but it seems a little sketchy to tamper with the cooling of your engine. Just as I was thinking that, I read thier little disclamer afterwards (there's a slight chance that this might effect the cooling of you motor....).

Has anyone done this? It certainly seems like you'd get more water coming in than you would through your plug hole but I don't know if it seems like a good idea. I have a 96MB with the Ford 351 in it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brent
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       08-05-2004, 9:29 AM Reply   
I started by tapping off the raw water intake on the motor, but the first time I tried it my engine heated up to close to 200 and I had to keep flipping the ballast pump off and on.

It was an easy test cause my shower had already tapped into the raw water hose, so all I had to do was hook it up, not cutting or anything.

I changed to a thru-hull scoop fitting and I wouldn't do it any other way. If fills and empties real quick and I can do it while underway.
Old    foobysmacker            08-05-2004, 12:07 PM Reply   
I teed the raw water intake because I was a bit leery of drilling a hole in the hull. I use a Simer 600gph impeller pump on a 350 Merc Black Scorpion engine. Works great and have never had a prob with engine temp.

However, now I'm adding some side sacks and another pump. After installing PP, I've "manned up" a bit and have no issues with drilling a hole for a thru-hull scoop fitting. Planning on adding a 1.5" thru-hull and putting the new pump on that one as well as moving the first one over there as well.

While I've had no probs with engine temp, I still watch the gauge intently while I fill. When I move to the dedicated intake, I know I won't ever worry anymore.

My 2 cents.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-06-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
The raw water pump flow is dependent on engine rpm. My boats engine cooling system provides adequate flow at wide open throttle to keep the engine cool. With this in mind I feel very comfortable operating my single Simer pump pulling from the raw water intake at any speed below 3000rpm.

You do need to be careful that your engine does not pull air through your ballast system.
Old    yellowdog            08-06-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
Brent,

I have a 1997 MB with the 351 GT-40 and use a Jabsco Ballast Puppy. I can run on plane until the sacks are full (I have 4 sacks) and not effect the engine water temp.