Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-14-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
So, we go riding a couple weeks ago, and I do an Elephant.

Riley: Dude, you should grab your Elephant!! Your hand's right there! Grab that puppy on the way down!

Me: Oh really.

Riley: Yeah! It looks sick when grabs are done on the way down!! I'll take a pic next time to show you where your hand is! (Riley always yells)

Tuesday - I waste a bunch of falls working on getting back my missing Toe 3, so much for balling out and trying a 5. Irritated, I just start taking big cuts and blasting(for me anyways) for funsies. Then I think....I'm going to grab my elephant.

Uh-huh! I leave the wake and reach down like my thousands of attempts at grabbing a front roll (all unsuccessful mutes). Oh....MY. It whipped me around so fast I almost slapped my face. The look on Riley's face said it all as I drop the handle like a sissy.

Riley: Stall it out at the top so you don't whip so fast!!!

Me: Ok dude. So ALL you want me to do is take the biggest cut I can, stomp on my back foot, and stall the trick halfway through while I grab?

Riley: YEAH!!

Me: OK arshole.

I'll post the video later. lol
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-14-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
Corby I was a little scared to open this post at first Riley's full of good advice like that Missed you at the Spanky.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-14-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
You are to right. "Dude, you can TOTALLY jump that 60ft gap!!" lol. Sorry I missed Spanky, family stuff going on. I'll be at the next one hopefully, Randy!! Nice pics in the thread by the way. Hopefully the next one will be hotter!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-14-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
Dude you could totally grab it! If you whip around to fast just make it an Elephant to front flip!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-14-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
And remember!!! If you don't grab it... It doesn't count!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-14-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
if you dont grab it it doesnt count...+1 for that
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-14-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
Both of u can suck it! lol
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-15-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
I need more people like you guys! All of the people that I ride with just want to see raleys all day.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-15-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
HAHAHA! Well there sometimes is a price you pay for listening to people like me! Ask Bobby and his bum knee!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-15-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
Corby!

DUDE GRAB THAT ELEPHANT ITS SO FUN!!!! I Grab mine on the Nose or Indy. Nose is a bit harder cause you have to switch hands quick to take it back to rego.

Here is the trick. This will help! Okay on TS Front Rolls as you prolly know you can just trip the edge and pop a wake to wake front roll, simple. The trick on the grab is to trip the edge crazy hard, I almost think about it like I am cutting back wakeslaysh style. This will make you go straight up, instead of out. I take my hand off the handle before I am even in the air (kinda the same ts indy backroll). As soon as I am breaking off the wake I tuck my knees up hard like I am trying to tuck into a ball, Reach and grab (Indy) and spot your landing.

This is where it starts to get fun, once you have that down, as you come over the top of the roll pull the handle with your lead hand across your body to your rear hip and you have a Front Roll Indy to Revert, (see the thread with Colin Ryan Riding, he does on in there, I suppose you could call it a indy scarecrow). After you get that Dialed Start trying to take it as big as you can. Once your comfortable you do the exact same motion but put it back down regular, so know your rocking a Indy Elepahnt. Its crazy fun and it blows people minds a bit, like wtf just happened there?

Go Get em' man!
Old     (bbsxkills)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-15-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
or just don't do elephants?? just a suggestion
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-15-2009, 10:26 AM Reply   
His hand is sooo close to the board when he is coming down! It's like right there! AHHHHHH Grab that SHIZZZ!
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-15-2009, 1:07 PM Reply   
I've tried Andy!!! Its so hard. The only invert I've ever been able to grab(and rarely) was my RTR (nose). There is just so much centrifugal force when I leave the wake. Plus I don't ride knees bent enough. I'll try a few today and get the vid up for ya'll to bash on an old guy lol
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-15-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
Jarrod,

No bashing from Me just good solid advice.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-15-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
I prefer the bashing! I respond better. WE have thick skin in our crew. If you aren't getting hazed, you aren't loved. lol. "Let's go Fatso! You should be able to grab the board, your legs are so short you're right there!" on and on. All love!

Have I told you I'm leaving work in 30 minutes to go ride? hahahaha 3 buddies, 3000lbs of ballast, flat water, and 105 degree temps. HEAVEN!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-15-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
Damn I wish I didn't have my meeting!!!! Make sure you grab it that Elephant!!!!!! Oh and Hit your toe 5!
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-15-2009, 11:04 PM Reply   

I only gave it one effort. lol Andy, I tried to grab my 2nd(i think) FR in this video. I just dumped my whole set to vid without editing. You can see by my 1st FR at 1:02 that i am just soooo open at takeoff (and landings, jeesh what a wild left arm waving at the birds)on my trips. After watching guys like Brodie with style who ride much more bent-knee, I think I need to learn to be lower on my approach and my hands in tighter or I'll never get the grab. I tried to grab a cupple of the Crows too(melan). :-(

Oh well, we had a super fun nite!! I'm just having fun jumping into the flats a bit more and actually linked a couple of spins together, which has been rare for me lately. Everyone rode well, and we were all smiles and talking trash. Can't ask for much more!! I LOVE WAKEBOARDING!!! Thanks to UJ, Brodie, Kaben, and my Son JJ! You were missed Riley!

Boat: 2003 X-2
Speed: 25.2
Ballast: 1950 + Stock at 900 = 2850 and 3 bodies
Rope: 80 Ft

Peace!!
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-15-2009, 11:31 PM Reply   
Oh how we love the river. Good times guys, already can't wait till we get back out again next week.
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-16-2009, 2:34 AM Reply   
you have a really floaty and calm style, its looks like you don't even try cutting into the wake just looks effortless.good stuff. I've been riding for three years and still haven't gone down to the river but I'm supposed to be going in two weeks it looks nice a buttery
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-16-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
JARROD!!!

STOP BEING SUCH A SISSY AND GRAB THAT THING!!!!!

Okay furreal tho - your issue is 100% body position, Bend those knees and stick that big butt out like you gotta poop! that will get you in the reight position to grab that FR. Seriously this is how I see a lot of people suffer. Really its all body position, you have sort of a rigid leg approach, which makes tripping the TS edge super easy, because you just have to push the board into the wake and up you go. Its going to feel super odd, but seriously get lower, bend those knees and stick your butt out. I can warn you that the first ten you do you will jump early and case the wake, but as it becomes natural you will be able to blast that thing up and out.

Nice Riding over all by the way, I mean for an old fat guy!

Oh yeah on your TS 3 that you went down on, STOP TURNING YOUR HIP BEFORE THE BOARD LEAVES THE WAKE and you money!
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-16-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
Now thats the kind of coaching I need. LMAO I TRY to get lower, its tough bending these tree trunks I have for legs!! lol

I tend to leave early on the Toe 3. Bad habits all around!!

Ok, I'll try harder. It doesnt count if you don't grab it, right Riles? Jerks.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-16-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
Awesome wake and impressive set list
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-16-2009, 10:20 AM Reply   
you have a really good riding style, i enjoyed watching that, everything is really smooth. it looks like your putting no effort into it. i wish i could make it look that easy. haha.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-16-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
Jarrod!!

Go for the Boot Grab!
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-16-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
Oh, I can grab the boot. The board seems to be YARDS further though.

So, are you saying to stay knees bent through the top of the wake when you wnat to grab, snowboard style off a kicker? Go against everything we always say about standing tall and tripping