Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    jetgofish            12-04-2003, 10:24 AM Reply   
I'm on the market for a new board! Currently I ride a Double Wright 136 '02 or '01 edition. It's a great board, but it's time to hang it up and get a new one. I can't decide, should I stay with the 136 or should I go bigger. I'm afraid that if I buy a 141 it will be too big. How's size matter with boards? I'm looking at the Premiers and contemplating the CWB's.

So my question is does size matter? Should I go bigger or should I go smaller? Or should I stay the same?
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-04-2003, 10:37 AM Reply   
I went through the same thing even though i have not yet bought a board i know what im going to try. A board like the 141 wont be too big for you, you'll notice more pop, and maybe maybe you might notice putting a little bit more effort into turning, so i say demo demo demo all the boards you can, just c what you like no one knows what you like better than you, we can only make suggestions
Old    jetgofish            12-04-2003, 10:42 AM Reply   
On the note of DEMO, DEMO, DEMO. Can some one in the Livermore/Pleasanton (CA) Area please tell me where I can get demo boards?
Old    norcal_99            12-04-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
Teri, You're a girl you tell us if size matters.

Back to subject, If you want to demo a hyperlite contact Trinity Board Shop. There's a link at the top of this page. If you want to try my Substance 136 you're more than welcome. I also have a Byerly 137 DNA you can try. Ski World in Pleasanton demos boards too.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-04-2003, 11:22 AM Reply   
you talking lengh or girth?
Old    jetgofish            12-04-2003, 11:44 AM Reply   
Why is it that boys always thing this way...???

Rene, I'm talking about BOARDS, that's why I ask you all if "Size Matters". I spoke with RV at Grizzly, he suggested I ride a smaller board. I'm going to hit up a few local shops for Demo's and test out both a smaller BOARD and a larger BOARD. I also want to demo a DNA and a BIO
Old    shaggydan22            12-04-2003, 12:02 PM Reply   
I'm 5'10" 185lbs. I switch off between a 128, 132 and a 135. My profile pic is me on my 132 from late summer. Last time I rode I used the 128. Demo and good luck!
Old    jetgofish            12-04-2003, 12:06 PM Reply   
Dan, how do you like the 132? It suprises me that no one has asked me my size yet. I can understand cuz I am a chic, but still. It's okay.

I'm 5'3 and 144, but if you look at my profile you will see that I alot of muscle! I'm afraid the smaller boards will be just that too small!
Old    ontrider            12-04-2003, 12:09 PM Reply   
Try out the board is the only way to know for sure... the size difference isn't that noticeable though between a 136 and 141.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-04-2003, 12:21 PM Reply   
i love the bigger boards... nothin under 140.. Recommending board for my height and weight would be about 137, 138, since i'm 5'11 175lbs... but i love the 143.. Everyone had their own style, if you like the bigger board go for it... but as everyone says demo to make sure you like the 141
Old    shaggydan22            12-04-2003, 12:27 PM Reply   
Damn your ripped. You could probably kick my a$$. I love small boards and wide stances. I have ridden plenty of big boards and small boards. I like not having much tip and tail. Maybe because I spend a bit of time skateboarding. Typically smaller boards have less weight/swing weight which means I can throw the board around a lot easier and more time to tweak my grabs. I can still do all my tricks on bigger boards, but they just don't seam as fun. Most people on wakeworld/wakeboarder like bigger boards. Its all personal preference.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-04-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
Just for reference Jet, my wife is 5'3", 120 and rides a 138. I wouldn't go any smaller than the 136 if I were you. But try as many as you can.
Old    jetgofish            12-04-2003, 12:47 PM Reply   
Dan - thanks, I try to stay in shape and frequent the gym every day!

NAW - what brand 138 does she ride and how doe she like it?

Alee - what were the two shops you mentioned in IM, in P-Town and LiverGulch?

Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-04-2003, 12:50 PM Reply   
i never said livergulch (where ever that is)
livermore = the board shack
ptown = ski world, but i think only the castro valley shop demo's
Old    jetgofish            12-04-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
Alee - there you go you lost your sense of humor didn't you! LiverGulch is a second name for Livermore. I'll stop by tonight after work!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-04-2003, 1:18 PM Reply   
Jet,
She rides a Liquid Force Trip. She's been riding it since '01 and refuses to get rid of it. I don't know what level you're at, but the Trip is a great board for all levels. She's really been able to progress well with it.
Old    jetgofish            12-04-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   
NAW - I've been trying to throw backrolls (yet to land and ride away) I'll be working on three's over the winter. I've been able to make a lot of progression on the Double Up. I refuse to get rid of it as well, but it's time to step up! I'll always ride the DU, but what something with a little more traction and I'm like the 3 fin system, not a must have but a plus. My brother has a CWB Absolute that I'll also be checking out this weekend! Haven't riden anything other than Hyperlite and DU. Hell I might find out I like something else! Too many to choose from!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-04-2003, 1:48 PM Reply   
wow dan, you're 5'10" 185lbs and the largest board you ride is a 135? hmmm. i've been thinking about going to a shorter board as well and im trying to beg borrow and steal boards from my friends to demo them.

one experience to counter what naw said; i rode my friend's 135 premier and liked it (i currently ride a belmont 141). i rode another friend's 140 premier and could barely wake jump with it. perhaps it was just the day - tho i also rode a substance 140 that day and rode much better on it than the premier. i was very surprised at the difference in feel between the premier 135 and 140. go figure.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-04-2003, 1:50 PM Reply   
oh...and teri, when you use a subject heading like "does size matter," what do you expect anyone to think, guy or gal? don't be so disingenuous. ;)
Old    jetgofish            12-04-2003, 2:00 PM Reply   
Hey Chris I had to think of something to catch every ones attention!!! I knew what I was doing!}

(Message edited by jetgofish on December 04, 2003)
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-04-2003, 2:03 PM Reply   
Teri, what do you like in a board? Do you like it fast? Edgy? Mellow or slow? What type of pop; abrupt, consistent, etc. These are the things that will determine what size board you want, demoing will help a lot too, but if you want to get a good idea, if you can answer those questions that will help a lot. Also a lot will depend upon the board you choose. I would say pick out a board you want first, then determine the size after.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       12-04-2003, 2:04 PM Reply   
Yep Teri, I have to agree with Chris. LOL

"does size matter" how about "Does Size Matter When Picking out a New Board?" or "New Board, Does Size Matter?"

But I must admit it got me to open your thread LOLOL

Hey Chris "disingenuous" damn you are the master of vocabulary!!!

Ok if I wanted to start a real thread about "does size matter" where would I post it? How about, be a third/find a third....you know third leg okkokokokok

I am out, please flame me!!!!!!!!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-04-2003, 2:05 PM Reply   
Doh... had no idea!
Old    jetgofish            12-04-2003, 2:08 PM Reply   
Bess - I like my stick to have pop, a little on the slow side with a lot of edge! (Jon that was for you) No in all seriousness, my DU spins pretty quick and holds an awesome edge, when consistant the pop is there! So my above mention is what I am looking for in a board. The Premier holds all this and still always me to keep my surface spins going. I've riden the Parks and felt it to be too sticky and a bit on the bulky side. I didn't feel a smooth transition and found it hard to break lose.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       12-04-2003, 2:11 PM Reply   

Good One!
Old    shaggydan22            12-04-2003, 2:28 PM Reply   
My 135 is the o'brien vision. I figured I would throw that in for you to think about. My friend has a parks 138. in comparison, i think the vision is a little quicker, smoother(contiuous rocker), I could pop it a lot more, and it felt lighter in the air. also depends if you like to jump wake2wake(maybe go 3stageIMO) or if you like to jump to the flat(maybe go contiuousIMO).
vision 135
http://www.wakeworld.com/BoardGuide/getboard4.asp?ProductID=1778

cstack- A friend of a friend came out in the boat one of the last weeks of summer. he has probably 2 yrs experience and has always ridden a byerly 137. he decided to try my friends girlfriends belmont 128(now a motive). he loved it instantly. much smoother wake2wakes and more air. definatly worth trying just for fun.

NAW- somepunk22=shaggydan22
i just didnt have any hair at bootcamp or the fallout.

(Message edited by shaggydan22 on December 04, 2003)
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-04-2003, 2:41 PM Reply   
bess, i believe the shape of the board is what determines the properties you were discussing (pop, speed, edge control, etc.), not the length - no?

thanks for the info dan, im definitely going to try and demo a shorter belmont as i love the smooth feel of the board. and it rides really nice w/o the center fin. much looser.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-04-2003, 2:54 PM Reply   
im about 140 and 5'5" , i ride a 135 premier, have ridden my brother in laws 140/141? belmont and although it has awsome pop there is no way id trade my 135 for his because it just does not handle the same (way too bulky and hard to spin), maybe im just not getting the 15' of pop i need for my spins though???
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-04-2003, 6:04 PM Reply   
THe size can have a factor in those things, I think, I could be wrong. But If you take any board model, the smallest version is going to be faster edge to edge and the largest is going to be slower, simply due to the fact that the largest board is wider than the the smaller one. The largest board can still be fast, but its still going to be slow in comparison to the smallest one. Also, from what I've heard with a longer board there is more pop and softer landings but they are a little heavier in the air, and visa versa for the smaller version. So size does play into it to some extent. Just my 02. I could be way off, but thats what makes the most sense to me.
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-04-2003, 6:08 PM Reply   
For example the Obrien Vision, I've heard from a lot of people that they loved the 03 135, but hated the 140. Just an example of what 5 cm can do.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-05-2003, 7:47 AM Reply   
Channels, rails, fin placement/size/type and rocker will affect the performance of the board as well as size. In most cases, a bigger board has more surface area, which translates to more pop and a softer, more stable landing. There are exceptions though.

Also, a few boards out there a called a 138, when they are actually a 136, or a 143 that's actually a 145-plus.
Old    jetgofish            12-05-2003, 8:22 AM Reply   
Does any one currently ride Gator? Do you like it?
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-05-2003, 8:32 AM Reply   
Yeah Jet, I ride the Gator Ricky G 138. That's the board I was talking about when I said it's actually a 136. The board is sick. If you've ridden an '03 or prior premier, than you've ridden the Ricky G.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-05-2003, 9:36 AM Reply   
Teri - 141 is to big for you. Stay in the 130 -139 range. The premier sounds like a good board for you as you mentioned above. The only other board I would suggest is the belmont. It rides a bit higher than the premier, but is much easier to break loose from the water(it has better release). I only bring this up because it sounds like surface ticks are important to you. This board is also much more consistent off the wake due to the continuous rocker. Check it out.
Old    jetgofish            12-05-2003, 9:48 AM Reply   
I might test drive the Gator (Premier style) tomorrow, with the Collective Development bindings. I h ave to go pick it up today at lunch!

Root - Why do you thing the 141 is too big? Just curious? I talked to one of the local shops last night, they suggest I not go below a 134, but I have to ask when dealing with 2 cm, I can't see that great of a deal, I could be wrong please correct me?!

(Message edited by jetgofish on December 05, 2003)
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-05-2003, 9:50 AM Reply   
sweet... you going rain or shine?
Old    jetgofish            12-05-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
Yes, we are going rain or shine. Scott said you are wet any way's and we will just dodge the rain drops. So...I'll test the Gator and possibly the CWB, I need to call my brother and grab his ride. One other person on the boat will have the Premier 141 so I will ride that as well, I'm not taking the DU just my bindings!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-05-2003, 11:00 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, if the GB is too slow or grippy, try it finless, it's a whole different board. Have fun!
Old    buttacup            12-05-2003, 11:04 AM Reply   
Gettofish- I rode on a Premier 140 this summer and thought it was too heavy! It had good pop but I felt like something was weighing me down. Being that I ride a 135 board now, I think that fits me fine, and I do weigh more than you so I wouldn't recommend going higher than what you ride at now. Glad you're going to demo, let me know how it goes.

Gentlemen- size matters in all areas

(Message edited by buttacup on December 05, 2003)
Old    cbreed            12-05-2003, 3:29 PM Reply   
Before you buy anything, make sure you ride the CWB Absolute 134 or the Cwb Freedom. It sounds to me that either of these two boards would be perfect for you. I would not go any bigger than a 136 if I was you.
Old    jetgofish            12-05-2003, 3:32 PM Reply   
It ends up that I won't be riding the Gator this weekend, but I plan on picking up my borthers CWB Absolute. I'll be riding a Hyperlite as well. I'm thinking I should stick in the range of 134 - 136.

Casey - How do you like your CW?