Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-22-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
This might be a little long-winded but I thought I'd post this here before we post it on Craigslist later next month. I'd rather see a good group of riders get on these lakes! I'm sure some of you will have questions but I think if you tired of the long drives, algae, overcrowded weekends, favoritism to the “old” guard, and lakes that drain down by mid-summer, this could be a fit for you.

That and you could have a say in how thing operate.

I have secured 4+ lakes in the Denver and Longmont area that are being opened up for water-skiing, wakeboarding, and other recreational uses. The lakes are set up with the wakeboarder and family-friendly fun in mind, but we are open to all watersports as long as everyone gets along and respects other members. I am still working out some general details (Zebra Mussels, Club Boats, etc) so I will release exact location(s) and complete details around the first of the year. For now, this is what I can release. When the details are released, and if you are interested, it will require a $500, non-refundable deposit to secure your spot on a lake.

General Facts
• Locations: Most lakes are in and around Longmont. Many are not on the existing Google or Yahoo maps. All have great access. None have existing electric.

• Members: Each new lake will have 8 total members, (we already have some members). The intention is to keep the membership relatively low so everyone can ride/ski more often without long waits. Membership at each lake will vote to determine its own number of members, but the target and prices are calculated at 8 members.

• Rotation: All of the lakes are 20 minute rotational lakes. Depending on how the membership votes, many lakes have room to allow up to 2 boats to operate simultaneously without destroying the surface conditions. (As long as there is no tubing, surfing, or power turns while sharing.)

• Length: All lakes are at least 2500’ feet in length (8+ wakeboard tricks) and many are much longer.

• Stay Filled: All lakes will stay filled year round.

• Wind Protection: All have fairly good protection from the wind.

• RV Access: The lakes in Longmont will allow an RV’s to be parked there during the season (and off-season) but there is limited and/or no electric available, currently. The lake near Denver will not allow RV’s, and is still going through a final approval which may not happen in 2010.

• Membership Options: Lake memberships will range from $3500 to $4200 depending on whether or not you use the club boat and included wakeboarding equipment or not. In addition to membership, an upfront initiation fee of $1500-$2500 is required on some lakes. Payments are due the first of each year. All credit cards will be accepted with a 3% fee.

• Club Boats: Club boats will be voted on by the membership and will most likely be a 2010 Malibu VLX or Nautique 230, replaced every 2-3 seasons. Mile High Wakeboarding can obtain these boats at significant discounts.

• Maintenance: Club boats and equipment will be maintained weekly to ensure proper operation.

• Damage: All members are responsible for their guests. You or they break it, you fix/replace it.

• Boat and Orientation Course: We realize many of you could teach this but all members and family members will need to take and pass a free boating course (insurance) if driving any boat, and/or an orientation course to ensure proper expectations for the care of the boat, equipment, and lake.

• General Lake Rules: The general lake rules will be made up by the 2010 members, and will be fairly straight forward. We have had to jump through an enormous amount of hoops to get access to these lakes so these general rules will include a Zebra Mussel, waste and garbage disposal, and a noise clause, among some other general rules that the membership decides on for daily operations. (Drafts are already created.) The Zebra Mussel will be a big issue so if you plan to use your boat anywhere else, it will take some serious decontamination and wait times to make these lakes work for you. There is no flexibility on this issue, so plan ahead. The policies set up by Standley Lake will be closely followed because they are the most thorough.

• Obstacles and Slalom Courses: Members may build/setup obstacles, sliders, and/or a slalom course but it would be up to the membership to decide how to govern and pay for these, and situate them so they do not disturb the others that are not into that specific watersport. (Wakeboarders, you will also have access to other obstacles at other locations and more will be released on that later.)

• Commercial Activities: Mile High Wakeboarding conducts various commercial activities on other lakes, but from time to time, may use one or all of the lakes for various contests, events, or pro clinics. These will always be planned months ahead of time, and members will always have VIP access. Outside of this, zero commercial use is allowed on any of the lakes. (No other lessons, camps, etc.)

• Resolving Membership Disputes: A procedure will be set up to resolve any differences between members and enforce rules. Mile High will delegate most, if not all day to day decisions to the membership. In the event an issue cannot be resolved, Mile High will make the decision, and will always reserve the right to revoke any membership for any reason, without a refund.

• Lake rules and guidelines can be voted on or renewed each year by the membership. Final approval and oversight will be made by Mile High Wakeboarding.

I'm sure there is something I missed but in general we really tried to set these up with all of the best Pros vs. Cons that I have experienced on other lakes.